Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WFNNB

tag
IOBA
Senior Contributor

WFNNB

In reviewing my credit report from Experian, I noticed that WFNNB has pulled my credit often.  I did some googling on the net.  It appears that WFNNB is a large bank with many different store credit cards.

Went back and compared the dates of the soft pulls and the hard pull on my credit report.

They match EXACTLY tothe dates I shopped at a retail store.

Those dates matchEXACTLY to the dates I paid via credit card (I used several different cardsissued by different banks). 

I had not applied for thestore card until this last visit (which is the hard pull).

My questions are

1 – how can they use mycc to get my personal data to do a soft pull?

2 – legally, can theydo a soft pull without my permission?? (I had not applied for credit those visits.)

3 – besides using cash (which I have at that store and there are no pulls for those dates), how can I prevent or avoid them pulling my credit?

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: WFNNB

@IOBA wrote:

In reviewing my credit report from Experian, I noticed that WFNNB has pulled my credit often.  I did some googling on the net.  It appears that WFNNB is a large bank with many different store credit cards.

Went back and compared the dates of the soft pulls and the hard pull on my credit report.

They match EXACTLY tothe dates I shopped at a retail store.

Those dates matchEXACTLY to the dates I paid via credit card (I used several different cardsissued by different banks). 

I had not applied for thestore card until this last visit (which is the hard pull).

My questions are

1 – how can they use mycc to get my personal data to do a soft pull?

2 – legally, can theydo a soft pull without my permission?? (I had not applied for credit those visits.)

3 – besides using cash (which I have at that store and there are no pulls for those dates), how can I prevent or avoid them pulling my credit?

By opting out. You will also not receive another pre-app offer while you are opt'ed out.

Message 2 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Thank you for your response. 

I probably should have clarified.  I am already "opted out" of offers from the cb's and have been for years.  It is still in effect (I verified it yesterday).

The credit pulls were done without my knowledge and without my permission.  (Again, I have been opted out for years.)

They only occur at that store (DressBarn) when I use a credit card (it doesn't seem to matter which cc I use).

I know I have two options.  

-- avoid DressBarn

-- avoid paying by cc if I do make a purchase

Them pulling credit without permission doesn't seem right.

More feedback? 

Message 3 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The soft pulls might have been promo softs. These don't allow a lender to see your full report, just your demographics and a vague outline of your general credit picture. If that's what these were, they might have realized that you're a regular shopper, and they want to see if you're a good potential CC customer.

But if these are account review or account maintenance softs, or if they are hard inqs, I don't see that they have permissible purpose.

Oops, I just looked again, my bad: if you're opted out, they can't even do softs. You would have to be an existing customer. You might have a check coming your way for them not having PP (permissible purpose) to pull your reports.

non-authorized inq letter
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 9
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Thank you for the reply.

I am not a "regular" shopper by any means!  This girl does not like to go shopping!   Which is why the dates really stood out. 

I will have to find the address of where to send the letter to WFNNB.  Do you have any suggestions for that?  On the credit report, it lists one hit as WFNNB-WFCB/ALLIANCE DATA, WFNNB, WFNNB/WOMAN WITHIN, WFNNB/DRESS BARN.

I can not figure out how to go back and see my free credit report.  Dang it! 

Message 5 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@IOBA wrote:

Thank you for the reply.

I am not a "regular" shopper by any means!  This girl does not like to go shopping!   Which is why the dates really stood out. 

I will have to find the address of where to send the letter to WFNNB.  Do you have any suggestions for that?  On the credit report, it lists one hit as WFNNB-WFCB/ALLIANCE DATA, WFNNB, WFNNB/WOMAN WITHIN, WFNNB/DRESS BARN.

I can not figure out how to go back and see my free credit report.  Dang it! 

Call whoever it is you ordered it from and they should be able to help you get it back up. The address is on the report.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think I am really confused. Companies must have permissible purpose for a soft pull? I thought soft pulls do not affect your rating and no one sees them except the party who had their credit pulled. Opting out "locks" companies from soft pulls?  I thought only locking your account with each bureau would do that.

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
The soft pulls might have been promo softs. These don't allow a lender to see your full report, just your demographics and a vague outline of your general credit picture. If that's what these were, they might have realized that you're a regular shopper, and they want to see if you're a good potential CC customer.

But if these are account review or account maintenance softs, or if they are hard inqs, I don't see that they have permissible purpose.

Oops, I just looked again, my bad: if you're opted out, they can't even do softs. You would have to be an existing customer. You might have a check coming your way for them not having PP (permissible purpose) to pull your reports.

non-authorized inq letter

Message 7 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

The PP is for looking at your private info, so that applies to hard inqs and to account maintenance/ account review soft inqs. The violation is not in sticking you with an inq on your reports; it's seeing your social and your accounts and your negatives and your balances and on and on.

Since a promo soft doesn't give all this detailed info, it's OK.

Opting out blocks promos, but not AR/ AM softs for existing accounts. But if you don't have an existing account, a lender has no business looking at your reports via an AR/ AM soft.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 8 of 9
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

I wonder exactly what information you need to obtain a PRM INQ regarding someone's credit and what exactly is returned. To me this whole business seems a bit slippery.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.