cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT IS THE FICO SCORE OF 720 REALLY MEANS TO THE LENDER?

tag
Open123
Super Contributor

Re: WHAT IS THE FICO SCORE OF 720 REALLY MEANS TO THE LENDER?

@CreditScholar wrote:

Open, I wanted to get your opinion on this since you brought it up. At what point do you think most lenders flag someone as a high spender, seperate from their other customers? 30k? 50k? 100k? Maybe it's done in tiers/levels? I'm just curious at what point are you seen/identified as different from the rest based on spending?

From my sense of things and dealing with different lenders, I sense that in general, $50K - $100K spend (legitimate spend) is a "sweet spot" where any issuer will start to not only covet, but offer all sorts of rewards to maintain, especially if they're in low risk spending categories, such as dining, travel, and entertainment.

At $20 - $50K level, I think issuers see these as "very good" customers -- I'd imagine--all things being equal--these are ones whom the huge signing bonuses are meant to attract en masse.  

At $100K + is where one starts to see the really "elite" cardmembers.  It seems to me Amex and Chase seem to be coveting this segment as much for bragging rights as they are for purely profit from spending.

Message 31 of 64
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

@astritaho1979 wrote:

i agree with you on most of the things ur saying the only thing that i would sugest fico to do would be to have the fico in to 3 categories
Fico 720 A 720 B 720 C so  if some one is new to credit but is correct for the first yr with the payments give them 720 C if someone with long payment history and strong report but mid utl give them 720 A so this way the underwriter can  base his decision base on fico score alone.Now this is my opinion.What do u think?

Why are you so hung up on making the FICO score the end-all and be-all of credit approvals?

It's already a complicated enough animal to begin with, and some things such as income, DTI, assets, aren't and would be incredibly difficult to factor into the score but they're absolutely used when it comes to underwriting.

In your model, would we do the same thing for mortgages?  If so, if you think the last mortgage crisis was bad, get ready for the big one... and if not, where would you draw the line on it?

Rev, don't bother with him. Some people only hear what they want to hear. I haven't commented to him directly because I know I'd simply be wasting my time.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 32 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Open, I wanted to get your opinion on this since you brought it up. At what point do you think most lenders flag someone as a high spender, seperate from their other customers? 30k? 50k? 100k? Maybe it's done in tiers/levels? I'm just curious at what point are you seen/identified as different from the rest based on spending?

From my sense of things and dealing with different lenders, I sense that in general, $50K - $100K spend (legitimate spend) is a "sweet spot" where any issuer will start to not only covet, but offer all sorts of rewards to maintain, especially if they're in low risk spending categories, such as dining, travel, and entertainment.

At $20 - $50K level, I think issuers see these as "very good" customers -- I'd imagine--all things being equal--these are ones whom the huge signing bonuses are meant to attract en masse.  

At $100K + is where one starts to see the really "elite" cardmembers.  It seems to me Amex and Chase seem to be coveting this segment as much for bragging rights as they are for purely profit from spending.

are you suggesting we spend 100k in credit card and is that with in a monthly bases or annually/Thanks

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
*LOWES $6K *CMN BANK $5.2K-*PNC $5K*SCLUB DISC. $5K*
WMART DISC.4K*CMN BANK 3.75K*BANK OF AMERICA $3K* MACYS $2.2K*
JCP $1.8*TARGET $0.7K* UTL1%- AAOA 5.5- TOTAL 12 yrs History/
Transunion 718 Equifax 733- Experian 736
Message 33 of 64
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Thanks for that, and it's along the lines of what I was thinking too.

I have a feeling you're a more private person than I, but would I be able to ask what your approximate annual spend is on average? Or at least which category above you might fit into? I've always been curious.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 34 of 64
Open123
Super Contributor

@astritaho1979 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

are you suggesting we spend 100k in credit card and is that with in a monthly bases or annually/Thanks

Annual spending, and I only suggest spending $100K on a card of your choice if it's money you were going to spend regardless.  

Message 35 of 64
improvingmycredit
Valued Contributor

Hello All!

I think a good rule of thumb is:  focus on what's on your credit report not your score.  Your FICO score is a good prediction of future risk with most lenders and can get you approved instantly if it's good enough but I know many with great FICO scores on here that still have concerns when apping a lender because even with the great score- it's still comes down to what's on the report.  For example:    How many recent inqs you have.  A lot here put to the wayside the value of focusing on what's on your report.  Do this and your FICO falls in line.  JMO. 

Starting Score: 642
Current Score: EQ 773, EX 780, TU 777 (All FICO)
Goal Score: 800+

Cards: NFCU Flagship 50K, DC 30K, BCP 28.6K, Arrival+ 25K, Citi DP 22.8K, CSR 20.5K, TotalRewards 25K, QuickSilver 20K

Message 36 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@Open123 wrote:

@astritaho1979 wrote:

@Open123 wrote:

@CreditScholar wrote:

Annual spending, and I only suggest spending $100K on a card of your choice if it's money you were going to spend regardless.  

I do spend on my business side about 200k a year but pay it back within 6 months or so and the banks have been very good with my business.I start usualy at 15k when i opened the account and made my way up to 35k within 3 months and yea the rewards are great specially with chase ink

COMMERCE BANK PLATINIUM VISA 20K*PAYPAL MC $9.5K*CITI FORWARD $8.5K*PENFED $6,5K*
Message 37 of 64
Open123
Super Contributor

@CreditScholar wrote:

Thanks for that, and it's along the lines of what I was thinking too.

I have a feeling you're a more private person than I, but would I be able to ask what your approximate annual spend is on average? Or at least which category above you might fit into? I've always been curious.

My personal spending varies from year to year, but I'd say it's in the $50 - $100K range of "legitimate" spending.  

If I were to factor in all the spending I put on cards for the rewards (such as bills, taxes, etc...), it'd be north of $100K, but it's somewhat inflated.

Message 38 of 64
astritaho1979
Frequent Contributor

@improvingmycredit wrote:

Hello All!

I think a good rule of thumb is:  focus on what's on your credit report not your score.  Your FICO score is a good prediction of future risk with most lenders and can get you approved instantly if it's good enough but I know many with great FICO scores on here that still have concerns when apping a lender because even with the great score- it's still comes down to what's on the report.  For example:    How many recent inqs you have.  A lot here put to the wayside the value of focusing on what's on your report.  Do this and your FICO falls in line.  JMO. 

thats true especially when you have new accounts they dont care about the fico score.Thats a good advice right there.Thanks

Message 39 of 64
dodgeball
Established Contributor

this tread is awesome! As I have eluded to the average score is really in the 680's not in the 700's like fico claims. there is only one state where credit scores average over 710. The law of averages do not support Fico's claims.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.