cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE between AMEX and AMEX network cards like USAA AMEX???

tag

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE between AMEX and AMEX network cards like USAA AMEX???

WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE between AMEX and AMEX network cards like USAA AMEX??? I have neither. Is their something unique that a "genuine" AMEX card may offer that a "network" AMEX card (e.g., USAA AMEX) may not? I really don't know. Obviously, I know that their are different REWARDS like BLUE CASH and BLUE SKY. But is their something "else"? Is someone foolish to get a "network" AMEX? Should they just improve credit well enough to get a "genuine" AMEX card DIRECTLY from AMEX? Thanks
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: WHAT'S THE DIFFERENCE between AMEX and AMEX network cards like USAA AMEX???

The difference is the issuer. With an AMEX card from AMEX, (like a amex prg or a BCP or something) you're just getting a card that is both issued by amex, and part of the amex network. If you get a USAA amex, you're getting a card that is on the amex network, and then issued by USAA. It may have a different reward structure (I don't think it earns MR points and stuff like that), but (AFAIK) the benefits of the card should be the same. Like 0 liability protection, roadside assistance and stuff like that. 

Hope this helps Smiley Very Happy 

Message 2 of 5
compassion101
Established Contributor

AMEX is a network. There is also an AMEX bank. Most AMEX network cards are issued by AMEX bank, but this one is issued by USAA. Both the network and the issuing bank (along with the merchants acquiring bank) get part of the fees charged to the merchant when you swipe the card, with most of it going to the issuing bank. It's the issuing bank that is on the hook should you not uphold your end of the bargain and pay them for a transaction. 

Cards in the other networks (visa/mastercard) are issued by many different banks. Discover network cards are issued mostly by Discover bank but some (like the Walmart card) are issued by other banks like GE.

Message 3 of 5
Weimmutti
Established Member

Learned something new about my Amex during refinance new mortgage kaon since it's a pay as you go credit card ie pay balance each month. The mortgage loan processor only accounts 5percent of total balance on debt to credit ratio. I've had this card since 1986 out of college. It taught me valuable lessons on over spending each month and knowing if I needed it I could charge any amount if needed in dire situation. Get Amex...
Message 4 of 5
-Cain-
Valued Contributor

Backdating does not apply to network cards (USAA,BofA,Macy's).

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.