cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WTH??? Navy Federal Secured Graduates?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: WTH??? Navy Federal Secured Graduates?

@vonmannstein wrote:

I know they started a limited pilot not too long ago but never really heard anything beyond that.  I hope they do end up introducing something to what penfed or USAA has right now.

I'm sure they will sooner or later. 

Message 11 of 13
Brusilov
Established Contributor

If you're curious here's the message I got back from Navy FCU:

Under our secured program, you can be issued an nRewards Visa or Master Card. The secured card is reported to the credit agencies like a regular credit card account and you can reapply after one year for an unsecured account. In order to process the secured card, you need to deposit sufficient funds into your Navy Federal savings account (the funds secured would be equal to the credit limit). These funds will continue to earn dividends while on hold. The minimum credit limit is $500.00. Once the deposit is made, please contact us any time toll-free at 1-888-842-NFCU (6328). 

Once your account has been opened for a period of at least 12 months, you can request to have it unsecured by submitting a new application. Should you have any further questions, please let us know.

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vonmannstein wrote:

If you're curious here's the message I got back from Navy FCU:

Under our secured program, you can be issued an nRewards Visa or Master Card. The secured card is reported to the credit agencies like a regular credit card account and you can reapply after one year for an unsecured account. In order to process the secured card, you need to deposit sufficient funds into your Navy Federal savings account (the funds secured would be equal to the credit limit). These funds will continue to earn dividends while on hold. The minimum credit limit is $500.00. Once the deposit is made, please contact us any time toll-free at 1-888-842-NFCU (6328). 

Once your account has been opened for a period of at least 12 months, you can request to have it unsecured by submitting a new application. Should you have any further questions, please let us know.

Now I am confused.

That's basically what they told me 11 months ago when I applied for the card and I told them if it never unsecures it's ok with me.  Then I logged into the NFCU online banking a week or two ago and saw the word "secured" disappeared from the credit card description, the limit was doubled and my savings account available balance increased.  I figured they screwed up something and called and they told me "You'll get a letter soon." 

I am absolutely positive I never applied to have it unsecured and there is no hard pull on my CRs

Maybe it has to do with length of membership or some other factor. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.