Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Waitlist for BlockFi credit card (issued by Evolve Bank) is now open

tag
sammydavidjr
Regular Contributor

Re: Waitlist for BlockFi credit card (issued by Evolve Bank) is now open

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the card do anything to allow less tech savvy people to get in on bitcoin? I've read very little on crypto but I could see how having to figure out how to store it, how to exchange it, etc. could be intimidating. 

If the card allows for easy access to crypto without prior knowledge, maybe that's the draw? Probably not worth a $200 AF though, in my opinion

Buying crypto is very easy on Coinbase, and it's likely that Venmo and Paypal will soon have even easier products.

Crypto really is not that complicated. It only sounds complicated because most people who try to explain it are technology enthusiasts who get lost in technicalities that mainstream consumers wouldn't care about: blockchains, ledgers, decentralization, mining etc. If we explained the US dollar in the same way we explain crypto, we'd all just go back to bartering and trading in precious metals.

Message 21 of 25
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:
Btc is at 19k... not going to 0...

It could, however, but more likely can plummet as it frequently does.  There have been numerous huge losses in value just in the past few years, and it's been at $20k in the past only to lose 80% of its value in a heartbeat.

While BTC may possibly be a good long term investment, the question posed by others in this thread is still a very good one: why would one pay a large annual fee to earn 1.5% in rewards posted as BTC, rather than getting a no-AF 2% or higher card and then just purchase BTC?

There are mainstream predictions that BTC could go as high as 400k in the next few years. Conservative predictions that it will hit 40k sometime in 2021. This is the second wave of mainstream adoption of the technology so I don't think you'll see another 85% drop. 40% pullbacks sure and the crypto is tracking the broader markets now so its susceptible to market corrections. 

Block Fi is part of that next wave of crypto brokers where its not just a wallet for storing and trading crypto but has a savings component to it as well as drawing a personal loan. The personal loan provision is better than what you'll find through a broker which requires 50% LTV and might give you an extra 5% to avoid a margin call overnight. Block Fi restricts your loan to 50% LTV but won't require a margin call until 70% LTV, permitting some draw down on your crypto loan (30%).  The payments required on the loan are interest only and can be rolled over in perpetuity. Its also paying an interest rated compounded daily as high as 8.6% on USD stablecoin so if you just wanted to use it as a savings account you could do that too.

You can get a $250 BTC bonus for opening the account and funding it with 20,000 and also a $250 BTC if you take out the card. If the price of BT doubles in the the next year those signup bonuses become worth $1000. 20,000 in stable coin would also earn $1,720 interest in that time period just for doing nothing. Then if you spend 10,000 on the credit card in the calendar year that is another $150 ($300)

Card earn $300

Bonuses $1000

Coin Interest $1720

Total 3,020 on a 20k investment, over a 15% ROI. You can direct the stablecoin interest to BTC for another $1720 for $4,720 in passive gains over the year.

Its not bad. I wouldn't replace my 3% dining or travel cards with it but for non-cat spend it works. Its not a direct replacement for a brokerage either since all you can trade is cryptocurrency but might work as a replacement for a savings account or CDs. It doesn't have direct deposit and the ACH is limited to $500. You'll have to wire funds over and you get 1 free withdraw a month. Definitely better as a passive investment tool like a savings account.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 22 of 25
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@sammydavidjr wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does the card do anything to allow less tech savvy people to get in on bitcoin? I've read very little on crypto but I could see how having to figure out how to store it, how to exchange it, etc. could be intimidating. 

If the card allows for easy access to crypto without prior knowledge, maybe that's the draw? Probably not worth a $200 AF though, in my opinion

Buying crypto is very easy on Coinbase, and it's likely that Venmo and Paypal will soon have even easier products.

Crypto really is not that complicated. It only sounds complicated because most people who try to explain it are technology enthusiasts who get lost in technicalities that mainstream consumers wouldn't care about: blockchains, ledgers, decentralization, mining etc. If we explained the US dollar in the same way we explain crypto, we'd all just go back to bartering and trading in precious metals.

Buying it and storing it isn't too complicated. Payments with bitcoin still have a way to go and there isn't really a point to spending $5000 USD worth of BTC over just spending $5000 of regular cash. In fact the opposite is true as BTC has a greater investment value than USD so you want to buy and hold while the value of the dollar is deflating.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 23 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

Like I said btc is going up... 25k on xmas.. from under 4k in March 

Message 24 of 25
joltdude
Senior Contributor

Iv skipped the whole Bitcoin thing... to me its just monopoly money.... that a select few will profit off of....

-J

Message 25 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.