Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wal-Mart CC to Discover: Insight from Customer Service Rep

tag
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

Wal-Mart CC to Discover: Insight from Customer Service Rep

Wow...just had an interesting conversation with a Wal-Mart credit card rep a few minutes ago I thought I should share. As always, YMMV...

I asked the CS rep about the cash back feature on the reg card (i.e. the ability to get $20, $40 or $60 back with a purchase). I was informed (apologies if this is common knowledge already here) that your available cash back line is 20% of your credit limit. OK...fair enough Smiley Happy

I then asked about CLIs...to which I received the standard line of asking via luv button after 4th statement cuts or waiting 6 statements for an auto (rep wouldn't tell me which resulted in a higher increase).

After that, I asked about graduating to the Discover Card fully expecting to hear a "we'll let you know" answer. Instead what I heard was:

"After 6-12 months, your credit history with the Wal-Mart store credit card and overall credit profile is reviewed and qualified applicants are invited to receive the Discover Wal-Mart card to replace the current one".

Wait..."overall credit profile"?

I asked what that meant...got this answer:

"If you are am e-bill subscriber, you receive your free FICO score online as well. Our review includes consideration of that score"

I aked if a hard credit pull would also be required. He said only if the CUSTOMER initiates the upgrade per request.

Now, we all knwo these things are always YMMV, but this guy was pretty specific with the details on this one. I'm geeked because I already have a Wal-Mart card with a $600 limit and a rapidly-improving credit profile and score.

I do wonder whether I should lay off the luv button after 4 cycles and wait for the auto 6-month review. It might be worth my while to get that Discover co-branded card since I have been pining for Discover for so long!

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
tsquad131
Frequent Contributor

Re: Wal-Mart CC to Discover: Insight from Customer Service Rep

dont expect gemb to send you anything for discover upgrade ive had the card for almost 2 years perfect credit history and fico's over 700 on all 3 and a $1700 on the store card. it sounds like a generic answer. they told me if i wanted the discover i would have to reapply for another card

amazon
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@CreditCrusader wrote:

Wow...just had an interesting conversation with a Wal-Mart credit card rep a few minutes ago I thought I should share. As always, YMMV...

I asked the CS rep about the cash back feature on the reg card (i.e. the ability to get $20, $40 or $60 back with a purchase). I was informed (apologies if this is common knowledge already here) that your available cash back line is 20% of your credit limit. OK...fair enough Smiley Happy

I then asked about CLIs...to which I received the standard line of asking via luv button after 4th statement cuts or waiting 6 statements for an auto (rep wouldn't tell me which resulted in a higher increase).

After that, I asked about graduating to the Discover Card fully expecting to hear a "we'll let you know" answer. Instead what I heard was:

"After 6-12 months, your credit history with the Wal-Mart store credit card and overall credit profile is reviewed and qualified applicants are invited to receive the Discover Wal-Mart card to replace the current one".

Wait..."overall credit profile"?

I asked what that meant...got this answer:

"If you are am e-bill subscriber, you receive your free FICO score online as well. Our review includes consideration of that score"

I aked if a hard credit pull would also be required. He said only if the CUSTOMER initiates the upgrade per request.

Now, we all knwo these things are always YMMV, but this guy was pretty specific with the details on this one. I'm geeked because I already have a Wal-Mart card with a $600 limit and a rapidly-improving credit profile and score.

I do wonder whether I should lay off the luv button after 4 cycles and wait for the auto 6-month review. It might be worth my while to get that Discover co-branded card since I have been pining for Discover for so long!

If you have gotten cash back...was the transaction on your statement a cash advance or just a regular purchase?

Message 3 of 5
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

@tsquad131 wrote:

dont expect gemb to send you anything for discover upgrade ive had the card for almost 2 years perfect credit history and fico's over 700 on all 3 and a $1700 on the store card. it sounds like a generic answer. they told me if i wanted the discover i would have to reapply for another card

Yep, as I expected, YMMV. I suspect there is no hard and fast rule on this one.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 4 of 5
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I don't believe these reps have a clue about upgrades VS new applications.

I have seen recently Old Navy upgrading and the offer was online when they logged in etc.

But back about a year ago My Mom had a Chevron (Primary, me Auth.) Called about an upgrade and rep went through steps and asking questions and came back approved... I went online while with him trying to see if I should ask about moving credit line from old card into new or if it just replaces old card etc.

To my surprise and to the totally confused Rep I showed the original Chevron Store Card (Limit $1750 I think) AND a NEW Chevron Store card for $450!!!

If I could have reached through the phone!!!

I have had 3 different answers by 3 different (Surpervisors) rather it's a whole new app and you may not qualify for the visa/discover whatever it is and end up with a 2nd store card or another rep said oh we can just click a button and takes us to a screen rather you are pre-approved and it's no credit check and no new account and then a 3rd rep that said you just have to wait to be offered.  frustrating.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.