sccredit
Valued Contributor

Wal-Mart and American Express team up for a prepaid card

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
Jlu
Established Contributor

Re: Wal-Mart and American Express team up for a prepaid card

Now I can earn double miles on snuggies!

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 2 of 21
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

This move makes sense for nobody.  Costumers can use this card where amex is accepted and amex is tthe least accepted, and amex appeals to the upper class folks.  Ummm so confused...

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 3 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I might ditch Amex on principle for this move, haha....

Message 4 of 21
SwampSystems
Frequent Contributor

It's pretty much the same thing as the Serve card with different branding. Called it in the other thread. I can definitely see it appealing to Walmart customers. Aside from gift cards, this is probably the only way some people are ever going to be able to say that they own an American Express card.

Message 5 of 21
Razeus
Frequent Contributor

I'm not liking the directin AMEX is going.  I made a thread a couple of weeks ago why they seem to be going after low end customers lately.  First with their Purple prepaid card, then the Serve card, and now this.  Wal Mart customers carrying an AMEX logo in their walet...??? Surely they can't hope to convert these low end customers to a revolver or charge card.  They must be going after the swipe fees in anyway possible.  I bet WalMart is going a fat rate cut for swipe fees.  How about this AMEX?  Cut a deal for Sam's club, becuase I was there yesterday and they only take MC and Discover!

My Wallet:
AMEX Platinum | Discover It $20.3k | Chase Sapphire Reserved $16k | Chase United $12k | AMEX SimplyCash Plus Business $11.6k | AMEX Schwab $9k | AMEX BCEP $8.2k | Citi Costco Anywhere Visa $8k | Chase Amazon Visa $8k | Chase Sapphire Preferred $7k | Chase Freedom $5k | Citi Simplicity $5k | Paypal Extras Platinum $5k | Wells Fargo $5k | Citi Best Buy $4.2k | Citi Visa Signature $3k | Care Credit $3k
Message 6 of 21
sccredit
Valued Contributor

@Razeus wrote:

How about this AMEX?  Cut a deal for Sam's club, becuase I was there yesterday and they only take MC and Discover!

I think the issue with that one is the Costco exclusivity with AMEX.  Hell, it's the only reason I have my USAA Amex, I dropped the "real" company's PRG a couple months ago after noticing a huge drop in their CS and getting declined charges on my card (though it was $0 balance).  I have much better service with my Visa Sig cards, now just need to find a World MC worth adding tot he mix.....

Message 7 of 21
Ron1
Super Contributor

Message 8 of 21
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Does anyone else here remember all the fake Polo shirts in the 80's/90's.  People had to have the Polo logo so they had those shirts with a horse logo on them  that were similar to the Polo logo.  This to me strikes a very familiar cord.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 9 of 21
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

Sounds like an interesting option for people who might have limited options for fee-free checking.  Don't know why this would trouble anyone about the direction Amex is going. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.