Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WalMart TWO Accounts now?

tag
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

WalMart TWO Accounts now?

I have had a Walmart Card for more than two years now . Today, GEMB sent me a new car on a new account.. I might have applied for their Discover Card a few weeks back, but I honeslty cannot remember.  Odd thing is that the card that they sent me and all the literature is primarily in Spanish!  Secondly, this new card has a CL of $700.00 while my current card has one of $525.00.  Do you think if I call, they will combine the limits.. even a little.. or maybe they will close one of the accounts?  I have not activated the card yet....

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
vish1
Valued Contributor

Re: WalMart TWO Accounts now?

If you have not activated it yet, you can just call them and cancel it. You will not be liable for any charges or fees.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 2 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

I have had a Walmart Card for more than two years now . Today, GEMB sent me a new car on a new account.. I might have applied for their Discover Card a few weeks back, but I honeslty cannot remember.  Odd thing is that the card that they sent me and all the literature is primarily in Spanish!  Secondly, this new card has a CL of $700.00 while my current card has one of $525.00.  Do you think if I call, they will combine the limits.. even a little.. or maybe they will close one of the accounts?  I have not activated the card yet....

Same thing happened to my mom with a Chevron card... if you do not qualify for the visa or discover, they will try for a store card.  You can not combine and you can't request to upgrade only apply for new account and hope you qualify for visa or discover... it's stupid if you ask me.

Message 3 of 18
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

You would think somewhere in the system it can determine you already have an existing account by your credentials (ss#, etc), therefore, would not process a second store card.  I'm not saying every store works that way because one of our members have multiple Target cards in this forum.  Beats me.  But most of all, be aware of what you're applying for, not just I don't really remember.  So much fraud is going on in this world, so keep a close eye on your finances.

Message 4 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

since u arent sure if u even applied for this card, i would cancel it immediately. this could be idenity theft. same thing happened to me a few years ago. the person who applied for the card spoke spanish  and all literature was therefore sent in spanish. I was lucky that the card came to my address because the person tried to have the card sent to another address but the company did not update to the new address . check your reports for any other strange or new accounts.  .

Message 5 of 18
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

since u arent sure if u even applied for this card, i would cancel it immediately. this could be idenity theft. same thing happened to me a few years ago. the person who applied for the card spoke spanish  and all literature was therefore sent in spanish. I was lucky that the card came to my address because the person tried to have the card sent to another address but the company did not update to the new address . check your reports for any other strange or new accounts.  .

Thanks,

I called - It came from my having applied for a Disc. with them.  Still odd that everything is in Spanish.  I asked if i could combine my two accounts..and I was told that I cannot.   Since the new card has a higher limit, I am just going to just let it sit there and give me more utilization.   I thought about canceling the first card, but it has taken so long for them to FINALLY start approving CLI, that I do not want to kill the momentum.  For the longest, they only gave 50-75 bux IF they gave me a CLI at all, now I get $125.00 and  i am due to request another increase in a couple of months. 

And yes, as someone else said, you would have thought that they would have caught the fact that I already have an account with them.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 6 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

haha, I just clicked the button and got $125 too.

Sams was way better for CLI!

Message 7 of 18
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Hey C.A. how's it going?  Well, I always thought if you wait out the 4 months for the auto CLI, it would be more than if you click the LUV button.  Am I wrong or has it been proven?!?  Just wondering.

Message 8 of 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

The only auto one that I have known GE doing for Walmart is the 300-700 or 700-1100.  After that CLICK AWAY.

Message 9 of 18
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

To the contrary, I believe the OP should keep both accounts open to maintain their current history of credit.

I would suggest sock drawering the store card and only use it every 6 months for a small purchase around $8, then walk directly over to Guest Services or some stores have the KIOSK Payment machine to immediately pay back $10 to give yourself a couple bucks over-credit and put it back in the drawer for another 6 months.  GEMB will mail the $2 back to you around 60-days automatically.  This keeps the account open with activity at least twice a year.

GEMB felt the OP proved to be a good customer over the last couple of years, so they stepped them up to the Walmart-Discover card.  It doesn't appear the member will be off on any wild shopping sprees with the two cards, but DO stick to the sock drawer plan to avoid spending trouble.

Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.