Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WalMart TWO Accounts now?

tag
Smug
Established Contributor

Re: WalMart TWO Accounts now?

I Have the same problem, the app had a hiccup and I restarted, I have two walmart cards and use only one.
Experian® 808/Equifax® ?/TransUnion® 810
Baddies Experian® clean/Equifax® 1/TransUnion® Clean
Last CLI 6-13-2013
Total Credit $121,190.00
Goal 780!
Message 11 of 18
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

since u arent sure if u even applied for this card, i would cancel it immediately. this could be idenity theft. same thing happened to me a few years ago. the person who applied for the card spoke spanish  and all literature was therefore sent in spanish. I was lucky that the card came to my address because the person tried to have the card sent to another address but the company did not update to the new address . check your reports for any other strange or new accounts.  .

Thanks,

I called - It came from my having applied for a Disc. with them.  Still odd that everything is in Spanish.  I asked if i could combine my two accounts..and I was told that I cannot.   Since the new card has a higher limit, I am just going to just let it sit there and give me more utilization.   I thought about canceling the first card, but it has taken so long for them to FINALLY start approving CLI, that I do not want to kill the momentum.  For the longest, they only gave 50-75 bux IF they gave me a CLI at all, now I get $125.00 and  i am due to request another increase in a couple of months. 

And yes, as someone else said, you would have thought that they would have caught the fact that I already have an account with them.

I am assuming that the second card you got is a discover. If it's a discover, I will keep it, if not, I will close it.

I am under an assumption that too many store cards is no great idea.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 12 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@vish1 wrote:

I am assuming that the second card you got is a discover. If it's a discover, I will keep it, if not, I will close it.

Meh.  It depends on how many open accounts OP has.  Number of store cards is generally not a problem unless you have an overabundance of open accounts on your CR's.

Message 13 of 18
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@vish1 wrote:

Meh.  It depends on how many open accounts OP has.  Number of store cards is generally not a problem unless you have an overabundance of open accounts on your CR's.

My thought was that if he was happy with abt 175$ higher CL, he may not have too many open high CL revolving accounts and instead of having a lot of accounts with low CL, hey may want to wait and get some good cards with high CL.

Citi Hilton Reserve 22.3K | Citi Thank You 8.2K | CSP 15.5K | Chase Freedom 10K | Chase BA 15K | Chase United 8.5K | Chase Marriott 5K | Discover IT 9K | Club Carlson 13K | Amex SPG 20K | BofA Cash Rewards 11K | BofA Cash Rewards 50K
Message 14 of 18
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Naaaah, to sum it all up... the OP received a second card which is the Walmart-Discover after having the regular store card for about 2 years.  At first, the OP couldn't recall if they actually applied, but it was later revealed -- yes, they applied and was approved.  The question to the forum was, should they keep both cards or close the original store card after learning they cannot combine accounts in order to have one card with one limit.

To my knowledge from the info given, they're not out on an app spree for cards with higher limits... it just so happen to have a CL of a few dollars more than their existing card.  And, it can be used at more than just Walmart.  The question was pretty much, what to do with the second card.

I think we provided very good suggestions.

Message 15 of 18
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Just to clarify:

1. The OP is a she

2.  I already had a Walmart Card that has a $525.00 CL - I have had this card for three years -   It started out with a $500 or $600 CL, but then I got CLD months after I had gotten the card.  Over the past year and a half I have been getting CLIs, first of only $75, but more recently of $125.00

3. In Jan, I apped for the Disc (but had forgotten that I did it through Walmart as well as through Discover)

4. Results  - Discover sent my app to HSBC who sent me a Discover Rewards card $750.00 CL ( I am not keeping this - and did not mention this in my OP)

5. I got a second WALMART card in the mail a couple of weeks ago - having forgotten that I apped for it, and because all the include materials being in Spanish, I was a bit confused about why the heck I had gotten a second Walmart card.

6. Called GEMB - found out that it was because of the Walmart Disc app. that I submitted, I canot combine the two Walmart accounts... and so now I have the original account with a CLI of $525 and the new card with a CL of $700.00

7. I thought about cancellilng one of these cards, but... since the first card is actually starting to get CLIs, I want to take advantage of this momentum - and having the second card adding to my utilization cannot hurt.. so I am holding on to it. and I will see if they give me CLIs on this one too.. but for now, it is just sitting here... and i will keep using the original card.

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 16 of 18
vish1
Valued Contributor

@Changingmantra wrote:

Just to clarify:

1. The OP is a she

2.  I already had a Walmart Card that has a $525.00 CL - I have had this card for three years -   It started out with a $500 or $600 CL, but then I got CLD months after I had gotten the card.  Over the past year and a half I have been getting CLIs, first of only $75, but more recently of $125.00

3. In Jan, I apped for the Disc (but had forgotten that I did it through Walmart as well as through Discover)

4. Results  - Discover sent my app to HSBC who sent me a Discover Rewards card $750.00 CL ( I am not keeping this - and did not mention this in my OP)

5. I got a second WALMART card in the mail a couple of weeks ago - having forgotten that I apped for it, and because all the include materials being in Spanish, I was a bit confused about why the heck I had gotten a second Walmart card.

6. Called GEMB - found out that it was because of the Walmart Disc app. that I submitted, I canot combine the two Walmart accounts... and so now I have the original account with a CLI of $525 and the new card with a CL of $700.00

7. I thought about cancellilng one of these cards, but... since the first card is actually starting to get CLIs, I want to take advantage of this momentum - and having the second card adding to my utilization cannot hurt.. so I am holding on to it. and I will see if they give me CLIs on this one too.. but for now, it is just sitting here... and i will keep using the original card.

OK so now I know you are a sheSmiley Happy

Do you mind sharing what other credit cards do you have (with their CLs)?

Message 17 of 18
Changingmantra
Established Contributor

Store Cards -

Target $1000

JC Penney $1900

Amazon $750.00

Firestone $1400.00

PayPal $285

Walmart (a) $525 (b) $700

Major CC

Visa (Credit Union) $2500.00

Cap 1 Visa $1800.00

Cap 1 MC $3350.00 (thanks, in part, to their recent double CLI error)

HSBC MC $1100 (to be paid off and forever sock-drawered in a few months)

HSBC Discover $1990

All but the CU Visa accounts are 2.5- 3 years old. 

*Note to self* Remember why and for how long you had to rebuild in the first place! One Day at a Time, One Day at a Time!
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.