cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Amex Bluebird is Here Now!!!!

tag
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart Amex Bluebird is Here Now!!!!

so basically it's a checking account... without checks...

I like it as i haven't wrote a check in years... and i can deposit money at walmarts 24/7 (they're everywhere)

if they will allow you to manage it form the same website that you manage your credit cards from and transfer money seemlessly between bluebird and an amex savings account (.90APY) i think i will ditch my bank checking and savings, and go with amex bluebird and savings

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 11 of 32
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

I take my cue from Ms. Granger on this one:

boredclap.gif

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 32
Autumnslight
Frequent Contributor

Bluebird looks pretty great. I would consider ditching my regular checking account, except there are two features I need that Bluebird doesn't have. Bluebird doesn't allow a check to be deposited if it's drawn on another account that you yourself own, so I wouldn't be able to deposit reimbursement checks from my HSA account. And Bluebird also doesn't allow checks drawn on banks outside of the US to be deposited, which I get regularly. So for both of those things, I'd still have to deposit the checks into my local checking account, then transfer the money to Bluebird. Not worth it. Smiley Sad

Scores:
07/29/12: EX FICO (Amex) 684 | EQ MyFICO 631 | TU Walmart 695
Current: EX FICO (MyFICO) 733 | EQ (MyFICO) 683 | TU (Walmart) 745

First Goal: 700+ across the board - Got it on EX & TU!!!
Message 13 of 32
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

what i want to know is how seemlessly you can transfer money between bluebird and amex savings

@Autumnslight wrote:

Bluebird looks pretty great. I would consider ditching my regular checking account, except there are two features I need that Bluebird doesn't have. Bluebird doesn't allow a check to be deposited if it's drawn on another account that you yourself own, so I wouldn't be able to deposit reimbursement checks from my HSA account. And Bluebird also doesn't allow checks drawn on banks outside of the US to be deposited, which I get regularly. So for both of those things, I'd still have to deposit the checks into my local checking account, then transfer the money to Bluebird. Not worth it. Smiley Sad

Chase Sapphire Perferred | Chase Freedom | AMEX Platinum | AMEX Delta Platinum | AMEX SPG | Capital One Venture | Capital One Quicksliver | Discover IT | ABFCU Visa | Citi AA WEMC
Message 14 of 32
Ron1
Super Contributor

I went to register the card and I got denied because I have the Serve Card Smiley Sad

Thank you for
choosing Bluebird.

Sorry, but we cannot approve you for a Bluebird Account at this time because you have an existing Serve Account. If you have any questions, please contact us by calling Customer Service at 1-877-486-5990.    

Ron.                                     

Message 15 of 32
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Yeah, apparently this card is running on the Serve platform.

Which is weird, because the Serve card is explicitly US-only and no good for foreign transactions, whereas the Bluebird explicitly advertises its lack of foreign transaction fees and the FAQ says it can be used abroad.

Looks like Bluebird basically makes both Serve and AmEx Prepaid obsolete. Best features of both in one card. Sucks if you have a Serve account, though....have you called to see if they will product change you to Bluebird?

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 16 of 32
ryanbush
Valued Contributor

i went ahead and signed up, i'm going to wait a few more months before i ditch the bank i've been with for the last 10 years, but it will be nice to see how it goes....

Message 17 of 32
Ron1
Super Contributor

I just called them to see if they were able to switch my Serve card into Blue Bird. They told me I had to close the Serve card. They closed it and they're going to sent me a check for the balance of the account.  I have to wait 2 days to register for the BlueBird.

Ron.

Message 18 of 32
maiden_girl
Valued Contributor

That's a nice looking card.

As of 2017, rebuilding...
Message 19 of 32
TheConductor
Established Contributor

Interesting analysis of what Bluebird means to the conventional banking landscape, in this article from American Banker:

http://www.americanbanker.com/bankthink/american-express-bluebird-is-a-no-fee-checking-account-not-a...

Excerpt:

"Most likely these customers don't care about FDIC insurance.  Many dislike banks. Reciprocally, banks may dislike this lower-income customer group.

So, is Bluebird actually good for your bank because "Bluebirds are voracious insect consumers"—and Amex will gulp down unprofitable depositors you don't want? 

If not, open your eyes and see how to keep these customers"

Starting: EQ 622 (myFICO 7/7/12), EX 696 (TU FAKO 8/14/12), TU 621 (CK TransRisk 7/24/12), Total CL $1k on 2 TLs
Current: EQ 709 (CCT 2/4/15), EX 704 (CCT 2/4/15) , TU 702 (CCT 2/4/15), Total CL $110.3k on 14 TLs Goal: 740+ x3
My Wallet: Amex BCP $30k, Chase United Explorer $16k, Amex SPG $13.5k, Barclaycard Ring MC $12.5k, Chase CSP VS $12.2k, Discover it $10.5k, C1 Venture VS $6.5k, Chase Slate $3.5k, Amex Hilton Surpass $2k, Barclaycard Apple V $2k, Chase Freedom V $1100, BoA Cash Rewards V $500, Citi BestBuy $500
My Loans: Prosper $25k/36mo, Prosper $17k/36mo
My Business: Chase Ink VS $5k, Amex BRG NPSL (> 10k),
Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.