Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart CLI - When and What to request

tag
buskels
Valued Member

Walmart CLI - When and What to request

I opened a Walmart Discover card 2/2013 with an initial limit of $1,400.  I just notice that they increased my limit up to $1,800 and I would like to try for a bit more.

My last statement balance was $489 but I am currently at a $0 balance and plan to make sure that is where it is at when the next statement closes.

My FICO scores are not spectalar (Scorewatch = 708, Walmart = 703) but they are better then they were in February.  I have some really ugly items on my report (60 and 90 day lates) but they are from about 6 years ago.

My questions:

• Should I call a backdoor number and request an additional cli now or wait until the next statement when the ending balance reflects $0.
  • Which number should I call?  I have seen multiple numbers posted.
  • How much of an increase should I ask for, if asked?
  • Any other tips in order to get a bigger cli?

Thank you for any advice?

Starting Score: 689 (Feb 2013)
Current Score: 743
Goal Score: 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart CLI - When and What to request

@buskels wrote:

I opened a Walmart Discover card 2/2013 with an initial limit of $1,400.  I just notice that they increased my limit up to $1,800 and I would like to try for a bit more.

My last statement balance was $489 but I am currently at a $0 balance and plan to make sure that is where it is at when the next statement closes.

My FICO scores are not spectalar (Scorewatch = 708, Walmart = 703) but they are better then they were in February.  I have some really ugly items on my report (60 and 90 day lates) but they are from about 6 years ago.

My questions:

• Should I call a backdoor number and request an additional cli now or wait until the next statement when the ending balance reflects $0.
  • Which number should I call?  I have seen multiple numbers posted.
  • How much of an increase should I ask for, if asked?
  • Any other tips in order to get a bigger cli?

Thank you for any advice?

Call the Credit Solutions number...you will get maximum results. Ask for whatever you want (at least 3X)...they will counter. I've read here that calling after regular business hours, or weekends, tends to yield better results. Good luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 2 of 17
buskels
Valued Member

Thank you.  So I should request now and not wait for a 0 end of statement balance?

Message 3 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@buskels wrote:

Thank you.  So I should request now and not wait for a 0 end of statement balance?

I would wait then do it! Good luck!!!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 4 of 17
racer-x
Valued Contributor

I've had the card since 9/12.  Initial limit $700 with a TU of 640-ish.   Received an auto-CLI of $100 after 4 months.  Per the advice of the forum, I called the credit solutions number (after hours) and requested $1600, which was 2x my current CL.  Approved.

Last week at 8 mos of having the card and TU at 696, I hit the CLI button and was bumped up to $2400....And again, I called credit solutions after hours and asked for $4000.  Approved.

So, to answer your question, yes call them...but maybe wait til you have a $0 balance.  BTW, I always PIF and put a few hundred a month on it.

Message 5 of 17
buskels
Valued Member

Thank you.   I have a 0 balance just did not have a 0 balance at the end of the statement period.  I've been going there more for gas, food, etc  with the cardand paying it off right after.  These purchases hit at just the wrong time so statement ended before payment cleared.

Message 6 of 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@buskels wrote:

Thank you.   I have a 0 balance just did not have a 0 balance at the end of the statement period.  I've been going there more for gas, food, etc  with the cardand paying it off right after.  These purchases hit at just the wrong time so statement ended before payment cleared.

After you request this CLI if its approved make sure to remember the date. 

4 months later ask for another! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 7 of 17
buskels
Valued Member

So I finally broke down and asked for the increase.  I got so used to being rejected by Capital One in the past, I was not real confident.  I started with Walmart Discover at 1400, they bumped me to 1800 after 4 months.  I just called 800-480-0205 and got it increased to 5000.   I'm happy with that.

Message 8 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 9 of 17
BearsAndTurtlesRtheBest
Senior Contributor

$1.8k to $5k is a nice jump next time request it to $10k. In the next 4 to 5 months of course Congrats!!

Discover IT $2,600- First Premier MasterCard $1,000- Dillards Store Card $300- Fingerhut Advantage $200
Chapter 7 BK Dischagred on 07/11/16. Gardening Since 01/17/2019
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.