Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Card or Target Card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart Card or Target Card

Which one do you think I should get? Personally, I prefer Target as a store and I do like the idea of 5% off. However, I heard that the walmart card is easier to get, and  I do go to walmart pretty often. So I'm tied in between the two. I heard that the Target Card was a little hard to get (I'm pretty new to credit), so I'm really thinking about Walmart. I want a store card to help build credit (along with my cap1). What are your thoughts? Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Walmart Card or Target Card

I think Target is very easy to get, but you might end up with $200 that doesn't really grow usually.

Walmart is also pretty easy and may start low but you can usually get about $125 CLI every 4 statements.

Target you have to apply in store, Walmart you can do online.

Message 2 of 19
JayRizzo
Established Contributor

Things to consider:

1.  Acquiring more credit cards doesn't necessarily increase your credit score (discussion re: utilization)

2.  Only apply for store cards that you frequent (seems you've done your homework already -- very good)

3.  Be aware of the interest rates charged for store cards which are higher than traditional major credit cards

4.  I believe WalMart is easier  Smiley Happy

5.  But, Target gives you 5% discount on all purchases  Smiley Happy

6.  Walmart (GEMB) is generous with Credit Limit Increases every 4 months... Target stated it is not giving CLIs at this time (past year or so)

7.  Both will give you low-limit cards if you're building/re-building

8.  Walmart store card DO NOT upgrade into a Walmart Discover (separate card requiring you to re-apply.  Application Order:  You apply online or in-store and the system attempts to approve you for Walmart Discover first, if not approved, then down sell you a Walmart Store card all within the same application = 1 inquiry)

9.  Target no longer offer the Target Visa card as of last year, only the store card

10.  I was on a roll, but have no more information to offer and wanted to make it an even TEN items to consider Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 19
golfingmama
New Contributor

Target has come in handy for me.  The perk of the extra 5% & Target accepting/taking coupons has saved me a lot of money over the past 2 years Smiley Happy

good luck

Message 4 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice, everyone! Smiley Very Happy

Message 5 of 19
hedgeclipper2
Frequent Contributor

IMO I would never get the Walmart card, absolutely no rewards at all makes the card not worth an inquiry and lowering AAoA

-----------------------
My favorite card right now: Fidelity Investment Rewards Visa Signature
Message 6 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Good point, but I'm not really looking for any benefits. I just really want to increase my credit score.
Message 7 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

If you just want to have 3 accounts open to give you a more diverse file then i would say one of these 2 cards would be great and then in 6 months citi forward or amex zync.

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

You read my mind! Do you think I would be appoved for a walmart card with 4 inquiries and only having credit for 2 months? I do plan on applying for the zync in 6 months.
Message 9 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
You read my mind! Do you think I would be appoved for a walmart card with 4 inquiries and only having credit for 2 months? I do plan on applying for the zync in 6 months.

do you have a credit score or just credit card for 2 months?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.