Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Credit Card late fee

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Walmart Credit Card late fee

My wife and I got the walmart credit card in August, she put on there 45 bucks in August and never got a statement yet because it's a new account. On August 19th I paid 30 dollars to the account just to make sure no payment was late.

On Sep 17th a late payment was applied?

I called customer service and they said the payment is due with no grace period and must be paid on XYZ date. I said well now the next payment is Oct 17th so what happens if I paid today? She says well it gets applied to Oct 17th payment. hmmm I said then why didn't my Aug 19th get applied for Sep 17th due date... she said well because a statement did not generate until Sep 17th. WTF does that mean ?

She says well we can waiver half the late fee but that's the best we can do.

Now I'm not complaining here but this is something new to me because all my other credit cards have grace periods and I've never heard of this crap something is very wrong with what is being explained....

She also said ohh no tons of credit card companies do this all the time with no grace periods and this is how it works....hmmm really...guess that is how you'll get money out of us now from the new laws is ringing in my head.

Just want to let anyone know who got the walmart credit card to be catious if it's a new account and know exactly when your statement date is due or pay that thing in full before it's due.

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Walmart Credit Card late fee

Ouch. Smiley Sad

So did you get a statement before the September 17 due date? If so, what was the statement date? (not the due date) If not, and the first statement didn't generate until sometime after September 17, then you shouldn't have had a late fee. It should have shown a balance due of the $45-whatever less the $30 that you had already paid, due on October 17.

BUT if there was a statement on September 1, for instance, then they needed a payment after that date, and before September 17, which appears to be the due date.

Be sure that you're getting the statements, which typically occur several weeks before the due date. Confirm your e-mail address and your mailing address with their records.

If that's what happened --if you paid the $30 before a statement generated, but nothing after the statement and before September 17, then yeah, you were late. It doesn't make sense on the face of it, when you've already paid something, but what's due is the amount that appears on the statement, even if it's only the $15 or so.

Those who partially pay their CC's down before the statement generates, so that a small amount due is reported, have to watch out for this as well. It's really easy to think, yep, I made a payment, but if it was before the statement, it doesn't count.

They didn't report a late to the credit bureaus, I hope???

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 11
O-day
New Contributor

I don't believe they can do that legally, especially with the new card act EXTENDING grace periods... I don't know what to say ive never heard of no grace period.

Message 3 of 11
poet
Regular Contributor

Or do the online payment, which is what I usually do. If you don't trust it and/or it's the due day, you also can pay at least the minimum payment at the little kiosk in the store if things are really tight.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

>>So did you get a statement before the September 17 due date?

Honestly NO we didn't get any statement but the lady said we could of called which we should have done... damn I should've known better it's my fault.

I asked her when the statement was generated she said on September 17th, I said how can you expect payment on the same day it was generated you won't have time for mailing it?

Does this make any sense?

Message 5 of 11
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Well, the question is whether OP ever even got the initial statement, the one with the 9/17 due date.

If there wasn't a statement generated, then nothing was due.

It's hard to go making timely payments when you don't even know that you're in danger of being late. And he had already made a payment. If there wasnt a statement in late August or early September, then nothing was due by September 17.

edited: OP replied while I was posting.

The CSR is wrong. They have to submit a statement first. Normal people (those who don't haunt the forums) wait for a statement to come so that they know how much to pay, and by when, and where to send it.

I'd call back and ask to speak to a supervisor. They should at least remove the late fee. That's just dumb. (on their part, not yours!)

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

>>Or do the online payment, which is what I usually do. 

That's great but wouldn't you wanna first know when it's due date is?

I had no clue it was due because no statement was generated or sent to me although she claims it was sent out?

>>If you don't trust it and/or it's the due day, you also can pay at least the minimum payment at the little kiosk in the store if things are really tight.

Ha I got a check for 1400 dollars 4 days ago so theres no issue there, the problem I'm raising is this doesn't seem legal or right it's not about so much any more that I screwed up it's more about how can they force you to pay the same day a statement is generated when you don't get time for mailing to the customer and no grace period????

Message 7 of 11
poet
Regular Contributor

I gotcha. Anyway, in the interim, you might try a nice polite letter explaining that you never got the paper statement, so were unable to pay it.

Good luck, in any case. I've been able to get them to remove a late pay fee in a similar situation.

Starting Score: 550
Current Score: 673 EQ, 681 TU, 650 EX
Goal Score: 720

Update April 1: TU 615/EQ624
Update June 28: TU 641/EQ 626
Update Sept 21: TU 681, EQ 673, EX 650 (FAKO)
I FINALLY got that car at the rate I wanted! Thanks, FICO Forums!

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to agree with you and I'll call tomorrow CS is closed as of 2 minutes ago. Just really frustrates me on this !

Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just called and still got a rep even after the time closed on the website... ha ... the new rep agrees they are wrong and this shouldn't have happened she said it was an error on the computer system it was confused because it was the first statement was generated and I paid it on the same day....and shes correcting this issue and crediting me the late fee. They are pushing a update to the CRA now to reflect that I was not late and they did say you have to be 60 days late for walmart credit card to say your late.

Wow thanks for encouraging me to call back ! YAHOOO 

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.