Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover Card?

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Walmart Discover Card?

Is it worth to get it just for the free TU FICO scores? Is GE Capital Retail Bank a subprime lender? I have heard that GECRB has very bad customer services.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover Card?

@DigitalArk wrote:
Is it worth to get it just for the free TU FICO scores? Is GE Capital Retail Bank a subprime lender? I have heard that GECRB has very bad customer services.

YES its worth it ...but not guaranteed for the discover version. When you apply Discover version is considered first and if not eligible then store card  is considered by default. IMHO GE customer service is A1

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 7
daybreakgonesXe
Valued Contributor

@DigitalArk wrote:

Many people hold the walmart discover simply FOR The free TU FICO, so if you value a FICO score and plan on spending money paying for one, then yes, it would be worth it just for the score!

GECRB i would not necessarily classify as "subprime". they will still deny people with bad credit, and every so often deny people with good credit (too many accounts with them already). however, GECRB can be easy to get credit score wise and are very forgiving of past mistakes compared to most issuers. however, there are many people with excellent credit who apply for GECRB cards because of the store, and not necessarily based on who backs them.

their customer service is okay. honestly, it can vary from store to store, since each card has their own office. i know JCP has their own offices for the jcp credit card, however there is a GECRB main line that can handle nearly any GECRB you may hold!

and like with anything customer-service based, it really depends on the individual. you can have a great CSR on the one time you call a company with a bad service rep, and you can have an absolutely horrendous CSR with a company that has a great service track record.

Message 3 of 7
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Thank you for all the info!
Message 4 of 7
oscar_actuary
Frequent Contributor

I spent 7 phones calls to get them to properly give me $17 I was owed in Cash Back Rewards in 2009.

The supervisor never admitted wrongdoing, she just gave up and credited the account.

Vindication!

FICO EX 827, 2015 Feb; FICO EQ 836/900 (Citi), 2014 Dec; FICO TU08 818, 2015 Feb.

BofA Cash Rwrds Sig V 2013 10k; Fidelity Rewards AmEx /BofA 2013 15.4k; Chase Freedom Sig V 2002 24.1k; Chase Amazon Rwrds Sig V 2011 8k; Sam's Club MC 2002 10k; Dscvr It 2012 10k; Citi Dvdnd Plat Sel V 2013 8.9k; PenFed Plat Rwrds V 2013 20k; AmEx Blue Sky 2013 11.3k; AmEx BCP 2014 24.1k; Priceline Rwrds Sig V 2013 8.7k; PayPal Xtras GE Cap Plat MC 2012 5k

Message 5 of 7
JonStur
Established Contributor

When I think of "sub prime", I associate that with cards having exorbitant fees to mitigate the risks of doing business with troubled creditors. Things like high interest rates annual fees, monthly account fees, extremly low limits that won't grow. And when they are eligible for increases, you pay $25 for a $100 increase WITH a HP to boot. GE doesn't fall into this category. They will issue some of their cards if you don't have the greatest credit score, but they will grow with you.

Starting Score: TU 595 EX 600 EQ 585
Current Score: TU 820 EX 825 EQ 812
Goal Score: 800 Club (Mission Accomplished)

Amex Platinum, Amex BCP $17.5K, 5/3 Sig $10K, Capital One Quicksilver 15K, Walmart 10K, US Bank Cash+ 15K, Sam's Club 10K, Chase Freedom $6K, Discover More $15K, Chase United Club MileagePlus $33K, Costco $6K, CapOne Quicksilver One $7K, Cap One Quicksilver $5K, Amazon $3K, Barclays $12.5K, Home Depot $7.5K, AppleCard $6K
Message 6 of 7
dabrian
Frequent Contributor

I love GE!!  Easy cl increases, free TU score, I plan to keep my Wal-Mart and Lowes for a long time.

NFCU Sig Cash-20k/ Amex BCP-19.4k/ Amex Costco-1.2k/Chase Marriott-12k/CSP-13.4k/ Freedom-5.5k/ Discover IT-14k/NCSECU-5k/Walmart-10k/Lowes-25k
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.