cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart Discover upgrade questions, questions, questions...

tag
parkman
Regular Contributor

Walmart Discover upgrade questions, questions, questions...

So I recently got the upgrade offer for the Wal-Mart Discover from the plain Wal-Mart store card. With no regard to my AAOA, I accepted the offer. The site asked me for my income, which I like to think is pretty good, but I only got $2,000. I'm not complaining, because my Wal-Mart store card had an $1,800 limit, but it's definitely not as high as I was hoping for. 

My questions are as follows:

For those that have accepted the upgrade, how long until you received your new card? I can't access my online profile without the 3 digit code from the back. 

I heard that upgrading the card closes your prior account, however, it still appears to be open on the website. Does the closure not occur until I activate the new card?

How soon after upgrading did you successfully request a CLI? My fourth billing statement is this month, and I was looking forward to an increase, but since it's a new card, does the clock reset, so to speak? I'm going to request an increase through the online portal, but I'm unable to sign in until I get my new card. 

Thanks in advance!

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Re: Walmart Discover upgrade questions, questions, questions...

@parkman wrote:

So I recently got the upgrade offer for the Wal-Mart Discover from the plain Wal-Mart store card. With no regard to my AAOA, I accepted the offer. The site asked me for my income, which I like to think is pretty good, but I only got $2,000. I'm not complaining, because my Wal-Mart store card had an $1,800 limit, but it's definitely not as high as I was hoping for. 

My questions aie as follows:

For those that have accepted the upgrade, how long until you received your new card? I can't access my online profile without the 3 digit code from the back. 

I heard that upgrading the card closes your prior account, however, it still appears to be open on the website. Does the closure not occur until I activate the new card?

How soon after upgrading did you successfully request a CLI? My fourth billing statement is this month, and I was looking forward to an increase, but since it's a new card, does the clock reset, so to speak? I'm going to request an increase through the online portal, but I'm unable to sign in until I get my new card. 

Thanks in advance!

Congrats! When I called to activate my card they gave me a CLI. Doing the activation online didn't seem to get the same result as far as CLI. When I log into my account it still lists both accounts even though the store card is closed. I was denied a CLI after 4 months but I don't think I had generated 4 statements. There was a bunch on the forum that got the upgrade last summer. For some reason It took us a couple months to get the new cards. My card at activation went from $3300 to $5000.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 2 of 15
parkman
Regular Contributor

Sweet! That's the result in hoping for. Maybe they see I have a $7,500 Discover It from a soft pull and try to match or beat the limit. Thanks!
All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 3 of 15
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I didn't get the Walmart Discover through an upgrade I just applied after I had the Walmart card for a while; both cards are still active; likewise with the Sam's Club Card and the Sam's Discover, I have them both.  GECRB is my biggest lender..... I have a bunch of cards with them; nice with CLI's also

Message 4 of 15
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@parkman wrote:

My questions are as follows:

Thanks in advance!

Wait...so "upgrading" to the Walmart Discover closes the store card and gives you a new TL? I didn't know that...it's like closing one and apping for another. I don't think I'll accept the upgrade if it comes, since I already have the IT. 

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 5 of 15
parkman
Regular Contributor

I wouldn't necessarily consider it a new app, more a pre-approval in the truest sense of the phrase - you don't have to apply, GE is telling you that you just have to say yes. No HP. Yes it is a new tradeline, but in a manual review, it may look better that it's a "Discover (backed by GE)", and not "just" a store card. Just my .02. 

Message 6 of 15
Built2last
New Contributor

I have a few questions for those who you who were eligible for the upgrade:

• How long did you have your regular WM or Sam's card before you were eligible to upgrade?  I will be 1 yr on WM this month and 1 year on Sam's in May.  I have had heavy usage and have received 2 or 3 CLI on each card.
  • Do we know if this is actually a new TL or just a PC?  When I upgraded my Cap1 platinum to Quicksilver, it just changed my credit report to show that I have had the quicksilver the entire time. 

Thanks!!!

photo chase-freedom-personal_zps7d0f91f4.png">
Message 7 of 15
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@Built2last wrote:

• How long did you have your regular WM or Sam's card before you were eligible to upgrade?  I will be 1 yr on WM this month and 1 year on Sam's in May.  I have had heavy usage and have received 2 or 3 CLI on each card.
  • Do we know if this is actually a new TL or just a PC?  When I upgraded my Cap1 platinum to Quicksilver, it just changed my credit report to show that I have had the quicksilver the entire time. 

Thanks!!!

That's exactly what I'd like to know...if it's just a PC, then the AAoA is not affected, but if it is a new tradeline I'd rather just stay with the store card, since I already have the IT card.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 8 of 15
parkman
Regular Contributor

@indiolatino61 wrote:

@Built2last wrote:

Thanks!!!

That's exactly what I'd like to know...if it's just a PC, then the AAoA is not affected, but if it is a new tradeline I'd rather just stay with the store card, since I already have the IT card.

I've had my Wal-Mart for about 4 years now. From what I understand, upgrades are typically offered at 2 years, but for whatever reason, I just barely got the offer. Not sure what factors play into it. I used to carry a balance all the time, usually closer to the limit, but 100% on-time payment history. I still got auto-cli, even being close to the balance, 3 separate times. Just recently, the last couple months, I've been paying in full. Also recently did a BT to a 0% card to help get my balance down. 

It is an entirely new tradeline, and from what I understand, but haven't been able to confirm, is that accepting the offer closes your old account. Since it's new, it will negatively affect your AAOA. It is not a product change. 

Message 9 of 15
emptypockets
Valued Contributor

Yes, accepting the upgrade closes and converts your store card into a Walmart Discover. I still see the store card when I sign into my account. It looks open on the website, but shows as closed on all credit reports. The Discover (shows as Walmart DC - dual card) shows as being newly opened as of date upgrade was accepted. So it does affect AAoA, and shows as newly opened account, but no HP. The only real advantage to the upgrade is that you get a card you can use everywhere, with a company that give regular CLI's. 

CC's: AMEX (4), Alliant Visa, PenFed AMEX, Pen Fed Promise, Citi (3), Chase (5), US Bank Cash+, Huntington Voice, Nasa Plat Cash Visa, Barclay's Visa, Discover IT, Cap One QS, BOA (2), BMW Visa, 5/3 Real Life Rewards MC; FNBO Amex; Comenity Visa/MC (3), Ebates Visa Siggy, Nordstrom Visa, Walmart MC, Sam's Club MC; A few assorted store cards.

Current Scores (09/2017): EQ My Fico: 786; TU MyFico: 799; EX (My Fico): 797
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.