cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart card worth the free FICO score?

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Walmart card worth the free FICO score?

@ptrutkowski wrote:

So it's been verified that the Walmart score is a nextgen score and not really worthwhile?

Nothing official has been announced about the particulars of this TU score.

From a BK years ago to:
EX - 3/11 pulled by lender- 835, EQ - 2/11-816, TU - 2/11-782

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem".

Message 11 of 20
kjm79
Valued Contributor

@MarineVietVet wrote:

@ptrutkowski wrote:

So it's been verified that the Walmart score is a nextgen score and not really worthwhile?

Nothing official has been announced about the particulars of this TU score.

I think the post earlier this week was in regards to an approval/denial of a walmart credit card and the score provided based on that approval/denial.  The score walmart uses to approve their cards does not necessarily mean it's the same score that is given out for free on the website.

CH 7 Filed 7/27/15 Discharged 11/16/15
Starting Score: EQ 620 TU 568 EX 593
Current Score (07/13/16): EQ 674 TU 649 EX 674 (FICO's 08)
Cap1 QS ($5350) (Combined QS and QS1) Discover It ($4100) MilStar ($8,600) Fingerhut ($800)
Off to the garden 05/01/16
Message 12 of 20
wajj
Contributor

I applied for the Wamart card, received it, and then got a letter from them explaining that they could not give me the "best interest rate".  The score on that letter was a NextGen score (I think, it was based on a 150 to 950 scale).

Once I received the card, I set up my account online and received my TU FICO score (and it is called a FICO score, complete with trademark, based on an 850 scale according to the bar graph).  It differs slightly from the score I purchased here a month ago but there is no reason to think there is any significant difference.  I really hope it is a TU04 score since the TU98 score you can purchase here is not used by financial institution I have a relationship with.

So, the score in the letter is NextGen.  The free score on the website is FICO.

Message 13 of 20
john398
Senior Contributor

@dp321 wrote:

Not until you learn what version of the score it is.

all indications seem to be its a fico 04 score

Oh mine updated today

Message 14 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@wajj wrote:

I applied for the Wamart card, received it, and then got a letter from them explaining that they could not give me the "best interest rate".  The score on that letter was a NextGen score (I think, it was based on a 150 to 950 scale).

Once I received the card, I set up my account online and received my TU FICO score (and it is called a FICO score, complete with trademark, based on an 850 scale according to the bar graph).  It differs slightly from the score I purchased here a month ago but there is no reason to think there is any significant difference.  I really hope it is a TU04 score since the TU98 score you can purchase here is not used by financial institution I have a relationship with.

So, the score in the letter is NextGen.  The free score on the website is FICO.

Good to know.  I think it's odd that they use two different scores.  I wonder if they use your NextGen score when you request a CLI too.

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

This FREE score from Walmart is very apealing, my hands are itching to pull the trigger and apply Smiley Very Happy

Message 16 of 20
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Has anyone tried calling walmart's customer service credit card people to ask what score model they use? 

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

This FREE score from Walmart is very apealing, my hands are itching to pull the trigger and apply Smiley Very Happy

I know, ME TOO! 

Message 18 of 20
mark925
New Contributor

@Booner72 wrote:

Has anyone tried calling walmart's customer service credit card people to ask what score model they use? 

That would be the absolute last thing I'd ever try since they wouldn't even know a hard pull from a soft pull.

Message 19 of 20
john398
Senior Contributor

I think Barry even tried to contact walmart and got no answer

Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.