Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart randomly closed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Walmart randomly closed?

@Anonymouswrote:

Actually, increased utilization is not the only negative activity.  You also said  "Always paid more than the minimum"  which is not the same as paying off what you owed promptly.  So Synchrony reviewd your account and decided you're not worth the risk. What's the utilization on your other cards?  Are there any baddies on your credit report?

I don't think not paying Walmart in full each month would be a reason for closure. I think their demographic probably carries a balance quite often. I'm thinking it has more to do with high utilization.

Message 21 of 32
SirCredit
Valued Member

@Meanmchine

Hi SirCredit

I see your TU is 677 and your Walmart CL is $4k. This looks like you've been calling Credit Solutions.  How many times have you called since you opened your account?  If you continully hit the love button as your balances on your file continue to rise, red flags will start to go off with ANY lender. 

And yes, it appears that Walmart appers to be under the microscope in downtown Synchronyville

This could be it. I did hit once or twice in the last 30 days.

Message 22 of 32
SirCredit
Valued Member

@Anonymouswrote:

@Anonymouswrote:

Actually, increased utilization is not the only negative activity.  You also said  "Always paid more than the minimum"  which is not the same as paying off what you owed promptly.  So Synchrony reviewd your account and decided you're not worth the risk. What's the utilization on your other cards?  Are there any baddies on your credit report?

I don't think not paying Walmart in full each month would be a reason for closure. I think their demographic probably carries a balance quite often. I'm thinking it has more to do with high utilization.

It's too bad. I should have done more research. Well, hopefully this thread will help others. If you rely on credit for a month or two, make sure your sychrony balances are at or near zero... 

Lesson learned.

Message 23 of 32
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Sorry Op , stinks to have an account that you are paying responsibly closed. Why not just cld it i dont know but this is happening like crazy this week. Im suprised no one has mentioned this but ive seen Experian mentioned a few times on other threads and i see yours is 618. If they are now checking your other reports that could be the reason. That is a big difference from 677 TU to 618 EX. Please verify that report something is there keeping it that low.
Message 24 of 32
SirCredit
Valued Member

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:
Sorry Op , stinks to have an account that you are paying responsibly closed. Why not just cld it i dont know but this is happening like crazy this week. Im suprised no one has mentioned this but ive seen Experian mentioned a few times on other threads and i see yours is 618. If they are now checking your other reports that could be the reason. That is a big difference from 677 TU to 618 EX. Please verify that report something is there keeping it that low.

Thanks, yeah it totally sucks, but whatchagonnado? I checked on that, thanks. There is something appearing only on the EX that shouldn't be there I've been working to try and remove -- another thorn in my side. All this credit rebuilding is fun stuff!

Message 25 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@SirCreditwrote:

@AverageJoesCreditwrote:

Thanks, yeah it totally sucks, but whatchagonnado? I checked on that, thanks. There is something appearing only on the EX that shouldn't be there I've been working to try and remove -- another thorn in my side. All this credit rebuilding is fun stuff!

Ah, this could be the culprit (or in any case it's likely the proverbial 'straw that broke the camel's back').

Synchrony has traditionally used TU, but the other recent Wal-Mart AA threads have references to EX in common so apparently things are shifting a bit, at least for Synchrony ARs (account reviews).

I'm sorry this has happened, but at least now it makes a bit more sense.  Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

From this thread, and from others on the same topic, I think we're beginning to build a picture of what's going on here. There appear to be a combination of various factors leading to these "random" Walmart card closures, among them, high utilization (the OP, IIRC, reported a jump from 30% to 67%), excessive CLI requests via the "luv button" or calls to Credit Solutions with relatively low TU scores, and something we don't know about yet on certain people's EX reports (which Sync now appears to be using for account reviews); the fact that OP's EX score is quite low compared to TU likely owing to some problem appearing there that shouldn't be should also be considered. Factor into that that we know that Sync and other users are watching more closely for signs of so-called "bust out" fraud (several warning signs of which, unfortunately, can be matched by honest users without any intent to defraud), and I think things are beginning to come more clear.  FWIW, my card seems to be OK - I made a small in-store charge Saturday, and I just logged on to my account to see everything normal - but I'm going to continue to watch it closely. As far as EX goes, mine was 695 at last check, so I think I'm all right there.

Message 27 of 32
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Good summary, Joe.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 28 of 32
codefreak13
Regular Contributor

Out of curiosity has anyone with the Wally cards seen Sync SP'ing their EX?

Message 29 of 32
SirCredit
Valued Member

@Anonymouswrote:

"bust out" fraud

Nice summary. What is this?

Message 30 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.