cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart suspends cash back on The Walmart mastercard by Capital one at check out.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Walmart suspends cash back on The Walmart mastercard by Capital one at check out.

@firefox100 wrote:

Today I did my monthly food shopping at Walmart. Bill at check out came 450 dollars, tryed to get 100 dollars fast cash the terminal did show fast cash as one of the choices. Ask for store manager , the manager said you will need to call credit card co, I said this a walmart mc what gives I just spend 450 bucks at your store. Got no wher with the manager, gave Cap one called they said you do have 3600 cash available but because of covid 19 Walmart has suspended fast cash back because they want to cut down on amount cash that is handle. If you a debit card you can get cash back. Also found out that no other credit card can get cash back at Walmart, are they using Covid 19 as an excuse to save transaction fee.

Sorry if this is totally off the mark, but I have Cap One (not Wally world MC), and it still pops up cash back options everywhere I go, including Walmart. I wonder if this is Walmart MC specific, not Cap One or Walmart store (or perhaps depends on the individual store?)?

Message 11 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Walmart suspends cash back on The Walmart mastercard by Capital one at check out.

People are surprised? When you take cash, it's a lot more risk of them not getting repaid. I would think that would be the first thing to go in a downturn. 

Message 12 of 32
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

What is this "cash" you describe?

Johnny Cash

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 13 of 32
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

It's a marketing gimmick.   Instead of producing standard size plastic or metal cards, some bank (Federal Reserve I think) is producing quite large cards made of some sort of paper.   And instead of swiping or inserting, you actually give one or more cards to the clerk, who keeps it, and not quite sure  of the rule, will sometimes give you one or more DIFFERENT cards back!  Don't think it will catch on.

Message 14 of 32
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

It's a marketing gimmick.   Instead of producing standard size plastic or metal cards, some bank (Federal Reserve I think) is producing quite large cards made of some sort of paper.   And instead of swiping or inserting, you actually give one or more cards to the clerk, who keeps it, and not quite sure  of the rule, will sometimes give you one or more DIFFERENT cards back!  Don't think it will catch on.

Those "cards" you speak of used to be backed by something of real value, guess they figured "hey they'll never know"

Message 15 of 32
core
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

And I had to touch the screen several times today when checking out my produce at the UScan line.  Then I paid and got cash back on a debit card so I received money that probably was not sanitized.

Yeah I'm sure the cash was not sanitized.  And neither was all of your produce which was touched by 100 people while they picked over it looking for the best specimens.  And the cooler door handles and all the dry goods in your cart which had virus particles all over them due to fallout.  You just can't win.

The good news is supposedly the virus only remains viable for 24 hours on soft surfaces like paper currency.  And I dunno how Walmart self checkouts stock their cash, but if they were smart they would use preloaded hoppers.  This minimizes downtime.  So that cash probably hadn't been handled by anyone for a few days at least.  Sitting in the warm machines at higher than ambient temperatures would cause the virus to "die" even faster.

<Mod snip:  Remember the 'Five Things We Don't Talk About'.  --UB>

Message 16 of 32
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I really don't want to work tonight, so I'll ask that we bring this thread back to the topic of Walmart not allowing cash-over at the register for their own credit cards.

It's fine to discuss if COVID is/isn't the reason for this, but much beyond that is very likely going to get into the Five Things We Don't Talk About on myFICO.

Thanks in advance,

--UB

Message 17 of 32
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

People are surprised? When you take cash, it's a lot more risk of them not getting repaid. I would think that would be the first thing to go in a downturn. 

Ya know I have been round the horn more times than I like to admit and there was a time you could walk into a bank and take the entire limit on every card in cash including nasty recessions, bankers have become crooks in suppressing the masses, its sick and ridiculous what this system has become. That is all I will say before I violate TOS.

Message 18 of 32
Anonymous
Not applicable

@M_Smart007 wrote:

Probably cutting back on cash that is handledSmiley Wink

While in theory this sounds plausible, and even logical. However, when you take into account all the other things one must touch at a store.

This seems like a flimsy excuse merely backed up by factual reasons, which means no arguing the fact. lol

So now this means said person has to go to the nearest ATM to get cash, or would they have allowed cash back on a debit card transaction?

Also the fact others have reported it still working, is it simply hit or miss? This was also brought up a month ago or two, so it seems to be happening in waves.  I get the appeal of this feature as it has a sense of free cash for a few days, and reduces trips to ATM or whatever so that you have some cash on hand for those certain places where a fee is attached or simply do not accept plastic.

End of day it's their card and their rules.  

Message 19 of 32
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Kinda on topic/off topic.. CDC just said today or yesterday that touching things doesn't transmit the disease or at least nor very likely.  Changes each day/week. Shrug make what you want of it.

Message 20 of 32
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.