cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart suspends cash back on The Walmart mastercard by Capital one at check out.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Re: Walmart suspends cash back on The Walmart mastercard by Capital one at check out.

@UncleB wrote:

Sam's Club has done the same:  https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Sam-s-Club-MC-Cashback-over-Purchase-temp-disabled/m-p... 

I remember that email now.  And I had to touch the screen several times today when checking out my produce at the UScan line.  Then I paid and got cash back on a debit card so I received money that probably was not sanitized.  The reason given for no cash back on the cards seems like an excuse now.

Message 11 of 29
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

Re: Walmart suspends cash back on The Walmart mastercard by Capital one at check out.

If you're getting cash back at the self check out, the machine spits it out, not a clerk. I'm not sure who fills the self check out terminals with cash, but it seems that it would be a nightly task either way.

Interesting enough, Rotten Robbie Gas and Piazza's Market prompt if I want cash back on Disco. I haven't braved a Wal Mart in months!

Amex PRG (NPSL), Amex Blue Cash ($24K), Amex Simply Cash+ ($4K), Amex Business Cash ($22.5K), Discover ($22.7K), Cap 1 Union Plus MC ($2500), Chase FU Visa Sig ($12K), Chase F Visa Sig ($8.3K), Chase CSP Visa Sig($6.5K), FCB/Elan Rewards Visa Sig($10K), Buckle ($1.3K), BofA AAA Rewards ($84.5K), Paypal credit ($10K), BBVA Clearpoints ($7.5K), Cap 1 Savor ($10K), PenFed PCR ($3500), Bank of the West CB MC ($3K)
Message 12 of 29
Highlighted
Established Contributor

@firefox100 wrote:

Today I did my monthly food shopping at Walmart. Bill at check out came 450 dollars, tryed to get 100 dollars fast cash the terminal did show fast cash as one of the choices. Ask for store manager , the manager said you will need to call credit card co, I said this a walmart mc what gives I just spend 450 bucks at your store. Got no wher with the manager, gave Cap one called they said you do have 3600 cash available but because of covid 19 Walmart has suspended fast cash back because they want to cut down on amount cash that is handle. If you a debit card you can get cash back. Also found out that no other credit card can get cash back at Walmart, are they using Covid 19 as an excuse to save transaction fee.

Sorry if this is totally off the mark, but I have Cap One (not Wally world MC), and it still pops up cash back options everywhere I go, including Walmart. I wonder if this is Walmart MC specific, not Cap One or Walmart store (or perhaps depends on the individual store?)?

Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 550 | TU 498 | EX 505
Current Score: 5•20 | EQ [F8 605] [F9 671] [EQ5 641] [A5 647] [A8 602] [A9 657] [B5 662] [B8 605] [B9 678] [VS3 620] | TU [F8 572] [F9 555] [TU4 537] [A4 564] [A8 574] [A9 550] [B4 561] [B8 590] [B9 581] [VS3 598] | EX [F8 593] [F9 583] [EX2 614] [A2 612] [A8 607] [A9 579] [B2 623] [F3 627] [B8 605] [B9 600] [VS3 587]
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

SO Starting Score: 2•20 | EQ 502 | TU 484 | EX 521
SO Current Score: 5•20 | EQ [F8 597] [F9 526] [EQ5 647] [A5 659] [A8 591] [A9 531] [B5 606] [B8 575] [B9 536] [VS3 615] | TU [F8 561] [F9 496] [TU4 553] [A4 562] [A8 542] [A9 502] [B4 530] [B8 551] [B9 519] [VS3 590] | EX [F8 605] [F9 539] [EX2 629] [A2 628] [A8 597] [A9 544] [B2 631] [F3 627] [B8 589] [B9 556] [VS3 613]
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 13 of 29
Highlighted
Super Contributor

People are surprised? When you take cash, it's a lot more risk of them not getting repaid. I would think that would be the first thing to go in a downturn. 

✌️
Message 14 of 29
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

What is this "cash" you describe?

Johnny Cash

Official travel point totals as of 3/21/20 (Goal Free Flights)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 163,976
British Airways Avios 11,332
AA Advantage 10,841
United MileagePlus 4,550
Expedia Points 2,523
Southwest Rapid Rewards 1,000
Hilton Honors 481
Delta Sky Miles 123
Marriot Bonvoy 0

Official cashback as of 3/21/20 (Goal Fund Roth IRA)
Acorns 418.87
Retail Me Not 85.12
Top Cashback 39.08
DOSH App 32.64
Raise Cash 27.49
PEI App 24.28
Club Overstock 23.87
Mr. Rebates 14.65
Rakuten 0.00

Other Point Category
Freebird 3,500
Samsung Rewards 2,750
Open Table 1,400
Message 15 of 29
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

@NRB525 wrote:

It's a marketing gimmick.   Instead of producing standard size plastic or metal cards, some bank (Federal Reserve I think) is producing quite large cards made of some sort of paper.   And instead of swiping or inserting, you actually give one or more cards to the clerk, who keeps it, and not quite sure  of the rule, will sometimes give you one or more DIFFERENT cards back!  Don't think it will catch on.

Message 16 of 29
Highlighted
Mega Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@NRB525 wrote:

It's a marketing gimmick.   Instead of producing standard size plastic or metal cards, some bank (Federal Reserve I think) is producing quite large cards made of some sort of paper.   And instead of swiping or inserting, you actually give one or more cards to the clerk, who keeps it, and not quite sure  of the rule, will sometimes give you one or more DIFFERENT cards back!  Don't think it will catch on.

Those "cards" you speak of used to be backed by something of real value, guess they figured "hey they'll never know"

Message 17 of 29
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@GirlGeorge wrote:

And I had to touch the screen several times today when checking out my produce at the UScan line.  Then I paid and got cash back on a debit card so I received money that probably was not sanitized.

Yeah I'm sure the cash was not sanitized.  And neither was all of your produce which was touched by 100 people while they picked over it looking for the best specimens.  And the cooler door handles and all the dry goods in your cart which had virus particles all over them due to fallout.  You just can't win.

The good news is supposedly the virus only remains viable for 24 hours on soft surfaces like paper currency.  And I dunno how Walmart self checkouts stock their cash, but if they were smart they would use preloaded hoppers.  This minimizes downtime.  So that cash probably hadn't been handled by anyone for a few days at least.  Sitting in the warm machines at higher than ambient temperatures would cause the virus to "die" even faster.

<Mod snip:  Remember the 'Five Things We Don't Talk About'.  --UB>

EQ08 BE: 776 | TU08: 812 | EX08: 797
Chase Ink [21.5k], Citi DC [20k], Alliant [15k], GICU [15k], QS1 [14.7k], Amex OBC [10k], Sportsman's Guide [9.4k], Blispay [7.5k], PenFed [6.5k], Chase Amazon [6.5k], Discover it [5.2k], Citi TYP [5.2k], Chase Freedom [5k], Fidelity Amex [5k], Consumers CU [5k], Wyndham [5k], Synch/Amazon [5k], Synch/Paypal [5k], Elan [4.5k], Ft.Knox [2.5k], BofA BBR [2k], Victoria's [1.7k], BofA 123 [500!]
Message 18 of 29
Highlighted

I really don't want to work tonight, so I'll ask that we bring this thread back to the topic of Walmart not allowing cash-over at the register for their own credit cards.

It's fine to discuss if COVID is/isn't the reason for this, but much beyond that is very likely going to get into the Five Things We Don't Talk About on myFICO.

Thanks in advance,

--UB

Message 19 of 29
Highlighted

@Saeren wrote:

People are surprised? When you take cash, it's a lot more risk of them not getting repaid. I would think that would be the first thing to go in a downturn. 

Ya know I have been round the horn more times than I like to admit and there was a time you could walk into a bank and take the entire limit on every card in cash including nasty recessions, bankers have become crooks in suppressing the masses, its sick and ridiculous what this system has become. That is all I will say before I violate TOS.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.