Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart upgrade?

tag
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Walmart upgrade?

I logged in today and see an offer to upgrade my Walmart card to a Walmart Discover. I'm wary about it. Is this an offer to apply for their credit card or an invitation to upgrade?

BK7 Discharge: 2/18.
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Walmart upgrade?

@PleioneG wrote:

I logged in today and see an offer to upgrade my Walmart card to a Walmart Discover. I'm wary about it. Is this an offer to apply for their credit card or an invitation to upgrade?

It's an upgrade.  If you accept the process will take about 60 days and it will be a new TL. 

Message 2 of 17
parkman
Regular Contributor

One thing to beware of is that if you do accept the offer, as Lexie said, it is a new tradeline, so it will affect your AAOA. Anecdotally, I've heard that if you use the online service to activate your card upon arrival, that you won't receive a CLI, but that if you call the number to activate it you get one. I just upgraded yesterday and haven't yet received my card, so I've been unable to test this theory. 

All I have for this forum is bubblegum and anecdotal evidence, and I'm all out of bubblegum.
Message 3 of 17
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

Damn it. I talked to the rep and asked if this would be a new trade line if I upgraded and he said no. I should have declined. My aaoa is already too short. Not happy about this.

When I accepted the offer online it was only a 100 dollar increase. Is this typical? Will the real increase happen when I call to activate?
Message 4 of 17
HeilFico
Regular Contributor

Don't beat yourself up over it! Smiley Wink

I usually tell people not to get it because of the AAOA hit and APR (since its fixed at around 22%)  BUT in your case based on your sig, it would be a great addition. Your credit is growing, just try to PIF if possible. 

I declined a few weeks ago because I already have enough creditcards. I've been using the Walmart for Fico and for 6, 12, 18, and 24 0% promos. 

Message 5 of 17
coldnmn
Mega Contributor

Most when they activated by phone got a CLI. Mine went from $3300 to $5000. YMMV Congrats on the upgrade.

Discover IT $17k / US Bank Ace (VSig) $13.5K / US Bank Cash+ (VSig) $13.5k
Sam's Mastercard $15k / Walmart Mastercard $10k / Blispay $7.5k PayPal Ex MC $10.8k
CareCredit 5k / Husq $5k / Cap1 QS $4.5k / Barclay Ring $5.35k / Citi DC (WMC) $12k
Gardening Date 7/01/16 / MyFico 08: EQ 801 / TU 777 / EX 771 / 06/08/17
Message 6 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@PleioneG wrote:
Damn it. I talked to the rep and asked if this would be a new trade line if I upgraded and he said no. I should have declined. My aaoa is already too short. Not happy about this.

When I accepted the offer online it was only a 100 dollar increase. Is this typical? Will the real increase happen when I call to activate?

They told me the same;  I even saved the chat so I could go back and laugh.  Luckily, I knew it would result in a new TL -just goes to show that they have no idea when they are answering consumer questions.  

In fact, my CSR went so far as to say 'of course it's not a new account, you didn't apply for a new credit card; everything will remain the same'.  Shaking my head! 

Message 7 of 17
PleioneG
Regular Contributor

I wonder if it's too late to decline. 

Message 8 of 17
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@PleioneG wrote:

That's the reason I won't upgrade, because it is a new TL and they close the store account. I already have the IT card, so I don't need the Walmart version. Plus I get the FICO with the store card anyway...Smiley Wink.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 9 of 17
Schism213
Established Member

Ok so I had the offer to upgrade to the Discover version in my account last night. I accepted the offer. Today I paid off the store card to $0. I just had a Luv button CLI two weeks ago $1200->$2000. How would that affect a possible CLI on the this Discover when I activate?

In the garden since 06/11/2013

CapOne Platinum MC $3,000/Discover IT $2,000/WalMart $2,000/BestBuy MC (AU) $900/Target $700/BofA Bank Americard $500

As of 12/13/13 - TU: 698 EXP:699 EQ:660
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.