Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart with Capital One pulls?

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Walmart with Capital One pulls?

@stonedog23 wrote:

I’m amazed at the number of people in this thread who say they would never go in Walmart. It’s virtually impossible for any living, breathing American not to step foot in a Walmart. One poster says he despises the business model and would never go in there, but has their cards. That just doesn’t make sense. One guy says he won’t support Walmart, but his wife is in there all the time, which means he kind of does support Walmart. 

This is quite dependent upon location.  Living in the city of Boston, it's a long drive out into the suburbs to even find a Walmart.  In many rural areas and small towns, I would agree that it's virtually impossible not to step foot in there, as all other options have been shuttered.  I personally don't usually shop there, but there have been a few times where it was either required because there were no other viable options in the place I was that day, or in 2 cases the rewards from a particular credit card outweighed my personal policies.  LOL

I made a mention yesterday in the Garden Club thread about the underwriting for the card as well, and find it strange that CapOne would use their "excellent" ranking, same as Venture - which I have been notoriously turned down for in the past.

Message 41 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

And as if right on que CapOne letter hits my mailbox yesterday informing me of complimentary CM from the data breach. Oh lovely... another alert app for my CM sound machine some would call a cell phone. Lol.
Message 42 of 93
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I understand this thread is not a referendum on Walmart but if your reason for not shopping at Walmart is because of how they treat their employees but you'll buy from Amazon, you're going to need a better reason.
Message 43 of 93
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

“I understand this thread is not a referendum on Walmart but if your reason for not shopping at Walmart is because of how they treat their employees but you'll buy from Amazon, you're going to need a better reason.”

THIS^^^^*
I started this thread because I started looking at Walmart after they have made some significant changes to pay and employees and Amazon continues the downward attack towards employees all while not paying taxes!
As far as an actual store, we have very few in LA, so it’s online just like amazon for me.
But free overnight shipping without a prime membership is a pretty strong argument to take a closer look at Walmart... my coffee maker is arriving today that I ordered at 4pm yesterday!
Message 44 of 93
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Remedios wrote:
I understand this thread is not a referendum on Walmart but if your reason for not shopping at Walmart is because of how they treat their employees but you'll buy from Amazon, you're going to need a better reason.

Same thing with Amazon. I try not to shop there unless I absolutely have to. Almost all of my purchases are made in brick and mortar stores. If I have to pay a little more to avoid those two, I'm ok with it. Unfortunately, when something is needed right away, I don't really have a choice. 2 day from Amazon beats out 3 weeks on eBay. Having the Amazon card is just because of the fact that once my report is cleaner, I want to be able to start growing my lines quickly, and sync will do it. Having worked in retail for so long, how a company treats an employee is important to me. But, I would be a fool to overlook the reach these 2 companies have.

Message 45 of 93
staticvoidmain
Established Contributor

A lot of people in this thread say they hate Walmart. What's the point? I despise Apple but you don't even see me in the Apple thread.

Anyway, as far as this thread topic goes, someone mentioned it may not be a triple pull:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/I-got-the-new-Walmart-Capital-One-5-Mastercar...

Message 46 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

I won't shop at Walmart because their customer service is awful. I don't fool myself into believing that Amazon is better to their employees, the planet, or anything else, but when something goes wrong they take care of it. 

At the end of the day they're all corporations and that means they are all after the most profit and nothing else. 

Message 47 of 93
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Do i need to start a " Whats so great about Walmart " thread?Smiley Wink I'll do it Smiley Happy it will only cost every poster a "Triple Whipple" (* credited to @FinStar from MyFico Mod Squad)
Message 48 of 93
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess I'm lucky. I have the Synch Walmart card and have yet to get a switch notification. As far as going there is concerned, yes, Wal-Mart has shuttered a lot of fine businesses, but that is the way things are. I've finally mastered the self checkout machine and unless I'm buying something that requires age verification, I'll rarely ever interact with an employee. 

That being said, there's a lot of people doing jobs whether they feel they're getting treated right or not. I've worked in all sorts of customer service jobs and Walmart, like any other employer and I mean *any* other employer is always looking for ways to maximize productivity and minimize labor costs. I go into the job with low expectations of how I'm going to be "treated", so that if I'm treated well (low standards) I'll be happy and if I'm treated poorly, my expectations will be met, therefore I'll be mildly satisfied.

Rant over. 

Message 49 of 93
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@staticvoidmain wrote:

A lot of people in this thread say they hate Walmart. What's the point? I despise Apple but you don't even see me in the Apple thread.

Anyway, as far as this thread topic goes, someone mentioned it may not be a triple pull:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/I-got-the-new-Walmart-Capital-One-5-Mastercar...

ahh, but you did mention Apple so someone right now is smilingSmiley Wink

Message 50 of 93
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.