Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Walmart??

tag
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Walmart??

My husband app'd for a Walmart store card in march, denied of course. A friend of mine with worse credit than him was approved for a $200 limit, so I figured maybe he'd be approved. No dice. He has 2 collections, one aging off next month, one were paying tomorrow that they've agreed to delete, he also has a repo from 2008. Our FP cc was stolen and used by his sister in April 2012, we moved may 11th and with moving expenses we couldn't afford to pay the balance she ran up so we settled on it in feb of this year, it was CO we settled for $226, out of a $368 balance. He lost 30 points when that reported settled and closed. His EQ FICO is 584 now. We also have an auto loan always paid on time opened January 2012, he completed the finger hit fresh start acct and is now waiting on the revolving acct to kick in, and he was approved for a cap1 secured with $99 deposit, $200 CL. We paid the deposit about 4 days ago so we haven gotten that card yet. Given all this info, how long should he wait to reapply for Walmart? We only want it for the gas savings lol thanks In advance! Also, if anyone could suggest any unsecured cards he may get approved for based on his CR let me know! Keep in mind he's about to have one collection deleted, and one age off next month which leaves 0 collections! We don't mind waiting till August to apply either if his chances of approval are better with no collections. Oh, and his AAoA is 1.4 years..
Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Re: Walmart??

anyone..?

Message 2 of 19
boomhower
Valued Contributor

I wouldn't apply for unsecured credit until he's at a 620.  

Message 3 of 19
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

Really? Wow.. I've read stories of ppl getting unsecured with mid 500 scores.. Just can't remember which cards. Guess ill wait and see what kind of bump he gets when these 2 collections fall off and the cap1 and fingerhut revolving report.
Message 4 of 19
tr1t1um

I got mine at 605 a couple of months ago. You could try whogavemecredit.com to see scores walmarts(GECRB) approving at.

Good Luck

Message 5 of 19
tr1t1um

I would wait until the collection is off the report and the new lines are reporting.

Message 6 of 19
myjourney
Super Contributor

IMHO wait until a month after CO falls off and try again after CR updates 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 7 of 19
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita
Message 8 of 19
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@boomhower wrote:

I wouldn't apply for unsecured credit until he's at a 620.  

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ 

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 9 of 19
Jasir
Frequent Contributor

My advice seems to go against what others are voicing, but I suggest he apply for the Bank of America 123 card (after the collections have fallen off!).

If he doesn't qualify at that time, BOA may likely counter with a 99/500 partially secured card (you pay $99 collateral, BOA gives you $500 CL). Use this wisely and BOA will gradutate it to an unsecured card after about 12 months of great history--he'll have an unsecured card and help his score bounce back, too.

I apped the 123 card in April 2013 with a FICO of 586 (and some baddies showing); denied, but received the 99/500 invitation. Got Walmart approved on June 4th, 500 CL.

Read my siggy, you'll see my credit journey so far.

Amex BCE: $2600 - Bank of America Cash Rewards: $4800 - Barclaycard Rewards: Jefferson Collections - Capital One Quicksilver: CO - Chase Freedom: C0 - Merrick Bank: $1400 -
Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.