Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want a new CC to lower Utilization

tag
QueenBeeOC
Regular Contributor

Want a new CC to lower Utilization

I have two cards, that's it, but I pay the previous statement and when my statement cuts I usually have a balance. It's a vicious cycle. My scores are better now. My experian is 660 and that was a lender pull.  I only have 2 baddies, one which will get paid ASAP.

I have cleaned up a lot of baddies, so I want to apply for one more credit card before we try to get pre-approved again for a home in the Fall. 

Can you recommend a card I will almost get that isn't subprime like Credit One? I would LOVE something with rewards, or am I dreaming big that I could get anything that isn't a secured card?? I really want a prime card that is worth the pull on my report.

Southwest: $9k - Discover It $1,900 - Amazon $2,900 - CAP1 - $1,500 - QuickSilver (FKA Orchard) - $900 - J. Crew $1K - LOFT $1K - Nordstroms $1K - Amex BCE - $3,000
Scores: Credit Karma 687, Credit Sesame 660- EQ 643 - EX 665 (from Amex)- TQ 655 Lender Pull: 693

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NyaBuksh
Regular Contributor

Re: Want a new CC to lower Utilization

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I went to creditboards.com and whogavemecredit.com to see the recent approvals based on your credit score and the state where you live. I managed to get several cards through these websites.

Goodluck!

Message 2 of 9
CreditHammer

@NyaBuksh wrote:

I was in the same situation as you a few months ago. I went to creditboards.com and whogavemecredit.com to see the recent approvals based on your credit score and the state where you live. I managed to get several cards through these websites.

Goodluck!

Whogavemecredit.com has helped me make decisions before as well.. pretty good site

Message 3 of 9
sarkell
Frequent Contributor

It also depends on what the baddies are and how recent. Are either of them medical debt I'd try get them removed first paying them won't remove them.
Cards: CSP $5k, Capital One Cash Rewards VS $3100, Discover it $3k Capital One MasterCard $600, Orchard Bank $3k, Barclays Rewards MC $1250 Gapcard $900, BR $300, Neiman Marcus $1k, Macys $1200 Walmart $500
In the garden until I can get a BCP

Starting Score: 534
Current Score: 682 EQ SW 660 TU 636 EX 3/26/13
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

IMO, applying for new cc's so close to a planned mortgage app ( 3-4 mos) is not wise. Maybe you can try emailing the EO of Cap1 to increase your CL
Message 5 of 9
QueenBeeOC
Regular Contributor

Pulled the trigger,  I apped for a Discover it, $1200 highest I have EVER had and a Amazon Store Card for $700

Southwest: $9k - Discover It $1,900 - Amazon $2,900 - CAP1 - $1,500 - QuickSilver (FKA Orchard) - $900 - J. Crew $1K - LOFT $1K - Nordstroms $1K - Amex BCE - $3,000
Scores: Credit Karma 687, Credit Sesame 660- EQ 643 - EX 665 (from Amex)- TQ 655 Lender Pull: 693

Message 6 of 9
vpae
Established Contributor

Congrats! GL on your home

12/19/19 06/11/20 07/02/20
Total CL: $708,900. Largest CL: Amex Bonvoy Brilliant $70K. Apple Card $40K. Chase Ritz Carlton $35K. Mouseover for individual CLs
Message 7 of 9
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

Pulled the trigger,  I apped for a Discover it, $1200 highest I have EVER had and a Amazon Store Card for $700

Congrats but you need to not apply for anything else. New credit so close to home purchasing is a bad idea and could offset the benefit of lower utilization.

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 8 of 9
boomhower
Valued Contributor

@b_seeker wrote:

@QueenBeeOC wrote:

Congrats but you need to not apply for anything else. New credit so close to home purchasing is a bad idea and could offset the benefit of lower utilization.

Agreed  Do not app for anything.  I'd also refrain from paying the collection right now.  Paying it can actually lower your score.  I'd seriously consider waiting and paying it as a condition of closing at closing.  When you pay it, they will update the DOLA to when you paid it and score wise it will appear as a newer collection than what it really is.

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.