Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to Apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred, Have a couple questions

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Want to Apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred, Have a couple questions

Next month one of my cc, will b over 2 years old, and then i will only have 4/24, so i can apply for another chase card.

My credit scores are in the 730 to 749.

I just pulled my experian and it is 749, ihave no baddies but 8 inquires, will be 7 though when i apply next month.

I have waited for this card, as i know it maybe have a high starting credit limit and i feel it is a more prestigous card.

Since you have to wait to apply for it, hahaha if you have more then 5.

I have 11 cc, higest with 10k, from capital one, lowest is from wells fargo, which is actually myoldest card at 900 dollars, haha. my utilization is like 3 percent, i have 41k in credit, my AAOA is 2.2 years.

Main reason i want this card is because i know it will have at least a 5k starting Credit limit?

am i making the right move applying for this card, will i get a high credit limit? like 10K, will i get it at all?

btw, i have had the chase amazon card, for about 2 years now, and it has 3k limit, i have maxed it out then piffed it at least once and piffed 1000+ balances, dont know if it matters at all, have had good usage on that card.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
NRB525
Super Contributor

Re: Want to Apply for Chase Sapphire Preferred, Have a couple questions

With an existing Chase card for two years, mid-700 scores, and under 5/24, my guess is you would be fine to apply.

Limit could not be forecast, but $5k seems reasonable since you have $3k with Chase already.

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 2 of 9
SBR249
Established Contributor

I could be wrong, but I thought $5K was the minimum that CSPs will be approved for? So if you are successful with your app, you will get at least $5K CL. 

Message 3 of 9
ChessChik47
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Next month one of my cc, will b over 2 years old, and then i will only have 4/24, so i can apply for another chase card.

My credit scores are in the 730 to 749.

I just pulled my experian and it is 749, ihave no baddies but 8 inquires, will be 7 though when i apply next month.

I have waited for this card, as i know it maybe have a high starting credit limit and i feel it is a more prestigous card.

Since you have to wait to apply for it, hahaha if you have more then 5.

I have 11 cc, higest with 10k, from capital one, lowest is from wells fargo, which is actually myoldest card at 900 dollars, haha. my utilization is like 3 percent, i have 41k in credit, my AAOA is 2.2 years.

Main reason i want this card is because i know it will have at least a 5k starting Credit limit?

am i making the right move applying for this card, will i get a high credit limit? like 10K, will i get it at all?

btw, i have had the chase amazon card, for about 2 years now, and it has 3k limit, i have maxed it out then piffed it at least once and piffed 1000+ balances, dont know if it matters at all, have had good usage on that card.

You should be good for a  pretty good starting limit given the credit profile you described and as long as your income is good too.  I was approved for that card when my FICOs were in the same range as yours and received a $24K starting limit.  I did have a Chase Freedom Unlimited already with a $10K limit, but had only had it for 8 months or so.  Good luck!  Make sure to post the results in the approved forum!

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes $5k is the minimum. I think maybe you can request a particular limit if you apply in person or with a rep on the phone, not positive though. My CSP approval was $8500 as my 5th Chase card.
Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you stand a chance at getting approved, and as others have pointed out, the minimum CL for a CSP is $5k, so you'll get that. But your reason for getting the card is odd to me. The CSP is a good card if you're going to use its features, but with a $95 annual fee, there are better cash back cards with no annual fee that could boost you a few thousand dollars. 

IMO, the CSP is best used in conjunction with the Freedom and Freedom Unlimited as a means of being able to transfer UR points to travel partners. The CSR is superior for other perks and using Chase's travel portal (though CSP is at least better than the Freedom and FU). 

So, other than the SUB and the fact that it's a pretty card, if you're not going to utilize its features, I think there are better ways of boosting your overall amount of credit than this card. If you ARE planning to take advantage of its perks, then heck yeah. Go for it! 

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

CSP annual fee waived in year 1, same SUB as CSR, so OP can find a lot of value from CSP even if they don't utilize the Freedom cards - although that's a fantastic point, the Freedom cards and Ink Cash are really what make Sapphire so great. OP should at least get one if not two of those other cards.

CSP gives the core utility of the CSR - I have the Amex Platinum in conjunction (which, if we're counting annual fee credits for the CSR and Amex Plat, the effective annual fee of a CSP ($95) and Amex Plat ($550-500=$50) is the same as a CSR by itself ($450-$300=$150) - actually slightly less), and between the Amex Plat and CSP I'm pretty sure anyhing I'd be missing from CSR is moot, and for me (especially since my home airport has a Centurion lounge) the unique benefits and perks of Amex Plat far outweigh the benefits that the CSR has over the CSP.
Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a 715 Ex and 4 baddies from two years ago. Only chase card was the FU from September 25th. I was approved for the CSP with a SL of $7000. I was also 1/24 prior to applying. Your profile is stronger than mine so I think you should be good to go.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

You'll likely get approved and def for at least $5k. Goodluck!
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.