My credit profile:

AAoA: 10 months

Highest age: 1 year 10 months

Experian FICO: 724 on 1/10/14

Discover Transunion: 744 on 1/17/14

Equifax FICO: 696 on 1/30/14

CK Fako: 695 as of 1/28/14

Util is 11%

I went on a bit of an app spree this past July.

AMEX BCE: 6000 CL

BOA: 900 CL

Freedom: 2300 CL

Amazon Visa: 1800 CL

Walmart DISC: 1800 CL

DISCOVER IT: 2100 CL opened March 2012

BEST BUY joint account: 3500 CL opened August 2012

$500 Student Loan opened in June 2013

Experian has 4 Inquiries for past year

Equifax has 2 inquires for past year

Transunion has 3 inquires according to CK

I just got a co-op with Toyota Motor Manufacturing for a 5 month term. I work full time, and get a $750 housing allowance monthly. If that were to go on for the full year then my salary straight from Toyota would be $48520 excluding overtime. I also get benefits because I'm going to school and my father is a 100% disabled veteran which is about $800 a month. If I include scholarships and grants as well then I'm looking at an income of about $68000. After paying for school it's about $58000-$60000. So I'd assume that's the income for my whole year?

My rent at my current apartment is $1119/month.

I feel I got a good shot at any of these but my recent credit spree and open student loan might affect those odds. I've tried the preapproval on Chase but it always tells me Unable to locate offers, this may be because of a recent response to a chase offer.

Now to decide on which one to apply for is another situation. I really like the CSP and for a point it was the card I wanted to apply for next. I just don't like that it has an annual fee and you don't anything back in return like the other two cards. 

I've never stayed at Marriot's to be honest but I hear great things about them. Although it's silly I really like the black look the card has and the fact that it's metal. Also I found a 70,000 point bonus link which can go a lonnnnng way if I were to stay at category 1-2 hotels or maybe throw in a nicer category 4 or something. It also includes a free category 1-4 stay upon approval and the free category 1-5 anniversary surely makes up for the $85 annual fee.

As for the Hyatt, I've stayed at them several times and I've always enjoyed my stay. I like that the 2 free nights can be any hyatt hotel out there which is pretty cool, and category 1-4 goes for the anniversary one which overcomes the annual fee. Out of curiousity is this card metal? 

Any thoughts ideas on which would be better? I feel that I'm soley ruling out the CSP because I've also noticed that many cardmembers downgrade to the CS once the annual fee is approaching.

I'd figure get the marriot now, then perhaps 6+ months later go for the hyatt? basically make the most out of the annual hotel offers.

Any thoughts if I may even be eligible for these cards?

Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Jerryf08
New Contributor

Re: Want to Apply for Marriot, CSP, or Hyatt

Bump

Chase Freedom: $5000, CSP: $12800 Chase Hyatt: $5000, Amazon Visa: $500, Amex BCE: $23200, Discover IT: $3600, Walmart Disc: $7500, BOA Cash $5000, Best Buy: $3500
Message 2 of 17
hilarybanks
Valued Member

I recently got that Hyatt Visa. It is not metal, but it is a very nice-looking card. It is also chip 'n signature, which is supposed to help if you travel overseas. I was approved for $5K with a score of 660 from Experian. This is the card I will be using for auto bill pays and any travel and I plan to PIF every month.

I got it because I actually vacation once a year at Hyatt resorts. I don't know much about CSP and Marriott. I'd say pick one and go for it. I app'd for two Chase cards in one day and was approved for both. Income $80K.

Barclay Visa Fin $1500 | Wal-Mart Discover $2000 | AmEx BCE $3000 | Target $3000 | Slate Visa $4800 | Hyatt Visa $5000

Last App: 3/16/2014 (Current FICO 740 per 4/07/14 Barclay FICO)
Message 3 of 17
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

Jerry,

Do you stay at either of those hotel brands? Are you going to put a decent amount of spending on the cards, or just minimal purchases and keep them for the annual free nights?

Message 4 of 17
fittiger
Frequent Contributor

I say CSP or Hyatt.  Look at your spending patters and see which will earn you the most points.

CSP - 2x dining, hotels (including Hyatt stays), airfare, cabs, trains, rental cars....plus 7% yearly bonus.

Hyatt - 3x @Hyatt, 2x dining, airfare only from airline, car rental company.

Unless you stay at Hyatt A LOT, CSP might be a better deal.  You can transfer those points to Hyatt, or an airline, etc.

The Hyatt pays for its annualy fee with yearly free night, but CSP has range where you can get the best bang out of your points.

Really depending all on your spending and travel habits.

Message 5 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Have you done CLI on any accounts?

Walmart Discover every 4 months via online button or call "Credit Solutions" and you can ask for the moon (in your case I would ask for $10k and see if they will counter back)

Discover - you can ask for a SP CLI every 90 days, may not get it and they will ask you to do HP which I would deny at this time but check sp.

BofA - will be a hp, but again you could ask for $10k and speak to backdoor and probably get a pretty sizable jump if not to $10k and worth the hp.

Then I would say apply for CSP and then Marriott maybe

Message 6 of 17
Open123
Super Contributor

Here's what I would do.

I'd hold off on the Marriott for later, even with the 70K bonus.  It sounds like a lot, but points really don't go very on Marriott properties.

I'd apply for the Hyatt and CSP simultaneously.  For the Hyatt, you get the 2 free nights, and the 40K sign-up bonus on the CSP, which you can transfer to the Hyatt for a couple of more nights.  If you find the CSP isn't valuable, then you can downgrade or PC it to the no fee version, while keeping the Hyatt for the annual free night.

Message 7 of 17
sillykitty1
Established Contributor

@Jerryf08 wrote:

I've never stayed at Marriot's to be honest but I hear great things about them. Although it's silly I really like the black look the card has and the fact that it's metal. Also I found a 70,000 point bonus link which can go a lonnnnng way if I were to stay at category 1-2 hotels or maybe throw in a nicer category 4 or something. It also includes a free category 1-4 stay upon approval and the free category 1-5 anniversary surely makes up for the $85 annual fee.

I would suggest spending some time on the Marriott site and seeing just how far the points and certs will get you.  I don't think it is realistic to think you'll want to stay in the low catagory hotels.  They aren't in many, if any tourist destinations.  Even the mid catagory level hotels might be near touristed areas, but out of the way.

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category1.hotels/

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category2.hotels/

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category3.hotels/

http://www.marriott.com/hotel-search/Category4.hotels/   

IMO the Marriott card doesn't make sense unless you stay regularly at Marriotts.  Earning are only good at the 5x Marriott spend.  The 1 & 2 pts per $ on all other spend is not worhtwhile.  You can do better with a 2% cashback card for example.

Message 8 of 17
Jerryf08
New Contributor

Walmart CLI: I had gotten an auto cli from $900 to $1800, i tried to increase after 4 statments but I got unable to increase due to not enough experience with current CL. I tried talking to chat, but they were of no help. Maybe I need to call credit solutions.

BoA CLI: I was hoping to get an auto CLI but never did get it. I could HP but I'd rather use it on a new card.

Discover CLI: I've tried to since I had the card but it always tells me we cannot process your request at this time.

I've stayed at Hyatt's before and I really like it. These cards would mostly be just to get the annual room. For restaurants right now I'm using my Discover since it's 5%.

I like the CSP but I don't get how it's such a valuable card. I see the 2% and the fact that you can convert to other point systems. Also have heard that Freedom and CSP are a killer combination, but how do I make up for the annual fee? Unless I'm mistaken the 7% isn't that big a deal is it? It's how capital one's card use to be where you get unlimited 1% and then 50% of the points you earned isn't it? If it's only 7% then that's really poor. Again, I might be missing something here. I just don't like that the CSP doesn't give a free night or free flight or free something to counteract the annual fee.

I have stayed at Hyatt's and they've always been great. I'm not a frequent traveler but I think the free night stay will help me make time to go out and enjoy a night out somewhere.

If I apply for both CSP and Hyatt card at the same time, will it be 1HP or 2HP? When I applied for Freedom and Amazon Visa at the same time, I noticed it was only 1HP.

Message 9 of 17
Jerryf08
New Contributor

Also I'm looking at the application for BoA CLI and on occupation I don't know if I would put Engineer since that's what my Co-op is at, or Student Senior, since I'm about to graduate.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.