Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to app for Discover IT and Capital One Venture

tag
ajande0
Established Member

Want to app for Discover IT and Capital One Venture

I would like to app for both of these cards.   Which one should I apply for first?   I have between 3-4 inq on each of my credit reports.   One is for security monitoring (I can't believe these count against you Smiley Mad, and one for a mortgage refinance.   I haven't applied for more than one card before.   Do they both use the same credit bureau(s)?   My FICO is >750.   

Thanks for your help with this.

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Want to app for Discover IT and Capital One Venture

Welcome to the forum! Cap 1 will pull all 3 bureaus. Discover usually pulls EQ but may pull TU depending on your state. Do you mind sharing the rest of your cr profile?
Message 2 of 22
ajande0
Established Member

Sure.   Live in Kentucky and income is $120k, and i currently have the following revolving accounts:

Citi ThankYou            1,700 / 28,230

Gold Delta AMEX      0 / 8,100

Citi Sears MC             0 / 6,600

Nordstroms                 0 / 4,000

CareCredit                  200 / 4,000

Chase Slate               0 / 1,500

CapOne Best Buy     0 / 2,500

I have 4 inq on TU, 2 inq on EQ, 2-3 on EXP.    I only use the Chase Slate for ODP.   My installment loan util is 37%.   I also have 2 mortgages with Chase.   I thought about CSP but Chase doesn't seem to like me even though I have a perfect history with them on mortgages (12 years), car loans, and credit cards.   I checked Credit Karma and they only gave me fair chances of approval for chase cards but AMEX, Cap One, and Discover were all rated as "GOOD" chance.   Let me know if more information will be helpful and really appreciate your help.   Sounds like Discover might be the first one since Cap One will pull all CRAs.

Message 3 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

With your credit profile, I don't see a reason why you'd have a problem with either cc. I have seen a lot of Slate cc's with really low limits in comparison to other cc's and I'm beginning to wonder if its an issue with Slate. I wouldn't give up hope on the CSP.

May I ask why these two?
Message 4 of 22
FocusedAndDetermined
Senior Contributor

@09Lexie wrote:
Welcome to the forum! Cap 1 will pull all 3 bureaus. Discover usually pulls EQ but may pull TU depending on your state. Do you mind sharing the rest of your cr profile?

I'm in the northeast and they pulled TU for me.

Message 5 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 6 of 22
eviLution
Established Contributor

Discover pulled EQ for me and I'm in MA.

DCU Platinum: 4000 - Discover IT: 11000 - Walmart: 5000 - AMEX BCP: 18000 - Chase Freedom VS: 5000
in the garden since 1/24/14 - #GARDENSTRONG
Message 7 of 22
ajande0
Established Member

I was interested in the Discover for cash back.  I like the idea of the 5% categories that change and several of the places I shop have even greater than 5% cash back.   I like the Venture because of 2x points.   I also like that I can use it for hotel, rental car or flight.   I would mostly use my Delta miles from AMEX since Delta is very big here.   I am also considering whether it would be better to get AMEX BCP instead of the Venture card for additional cash back.  I shop at Costco a lot and they only take AMEX in addition I commute 150 miles a day so gas rewards are very appealing to me.   Definitely open to suggestions I have been looking at cards and benefits for days and my eyes are starting to cross, LOL.   I would like for these to be my last two cards and I will almost certainly cancel Best Buy.  My oldest and largest CL account dates back to 1995 so it shouldn't hurt too much to get rid of Best Buy.

Message 8 of 22
jlfce1
Regular Contributor

I'm in MO and Discover Pulled EX & EQ for me but my scores were not as high as yours so maybe they pulled 2 because I was borderline or something.

Amex BCE 24.5K | BofA Cash Rewards 15K | CSP MC 13.5K| Chase Freedom 7.5K | Discover IT 3K
Message 9 of 22
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Unless you travel and need the no. FOREX, I would take Cap 1 off the list. Amex has BCP and since you mention Costco, TE. Plus with the 3x CLI on their revolver that would be the way to go. Discover is nice , no AF and the rotating categories is a benefit. Do you go out dining a lot?
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.