cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to apply for USAA CC...should I open their checking acct first?

tag
vegasgurl2001
Established Member

Want to apply for USAA CC...should I open their checking acct first?

Hello! I want to apply for a USAA credit card, I'm a partial member and haven't opened any accounts with them yet. What is the best chance of getting approved for a CC....should I open a checking acct. with them then apply for credit card? Or does it not really matter...I have free checking with chase and am happy with them so I wouldn't ever use USAA one I don't think....and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Starting Score: 6??
Current Score: Walmart TU 640-7/12, Experian 717-3/12
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Re: Want to apply for USAA CC...should I open their checking acct first?

Well, one thing I know is that as long as you're a partial member, whether you bank with them or not, you'll never get any offers under your "My offers" page, so I don't know if banking with them comes into consideration when you apply for a card. 

Message 2 of 5
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

It is possible that having a usaa checking account that you run large sums of money through for years (thus creating a real history) might be a positive factor in getting credit from them (though more likely to influence manual underwriting than the computer ). But just having a checking account won't make any difference. At least according to the rep I spoke with in February when applying for the mc.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 3 of 5
vegasgurl2001
Established Member

@Cdnewmanpac wrote:
It is possible that having a usaa checking account that you run large sums of money through for years (thus creating a real history) might be a positive factor in getting credit from them (though more likely to influence manual underwriting than the computer ). But just having a checking account won't make any difference. At least according to the rep I spoke with in February when applying for the mc.
DId you end up getting approved? Do you remember about what your credit score was at that time? Thank you by the way!

Starting Score: 6??
Current Score: Walmart TU 640-7/12, Experian 717-3/12
Goal Score: 720+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 5
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

Yes, 7k, 685 equifax.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.