Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to downgrade my Amex EDP back to ED

tag
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Want to downgrade my Amex EDP back to ED

Back in January, I accepted an offer upgrade my Amex EveryDay card to an EveryDay Preferred in exchange for 40K MR points. It is not a daily driver card by any stretch of the imagination. The points came in handy to help me upgrade my one of my flights to first class. Beyond that, it hasn't been much of a benefit. Last week, I got charged the $95 AF.

My question is how do I (or can I) downgrade the card back to EveryDay? Am I able to do this since it has only been a few months since I upgraded? Are there any restrictions? Is this a simple call to CS to make it happen?

Thanks for your responses...

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Re: Want to downgrade my Amex EDP back to ED

Wait until you've had the EDP for at least 12 months. Otherwise they may claw back the points.

You can call. I sometimes use chat.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 2 of 12
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@wasCB14 wrote:

Wait until you've had the EDP for at least 12 months. Otherwise they may claw back the points.

This here. AMEX doesn't like churners so if you're looking to downgrade back wait 12 months or when the AF posts. You can call/chat to perform the downgrade assuming they don't have any nice retention offers that may entice you to keep the card. YMMV on the retention offers

Message 3 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@wasCB14 wrote:

Thanks, @wasCB14 

Message 4 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@simplynoir wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

This here. AMEX doesn't like churners so if you're looking to downgrade back wait 12 months or when the AF posts. You can call/chat to perform the downgrade assuming they don't have any nice retention offers that may entice you to keep the card. YMMV on the retention offers

Great! I'll set an alarm for mid January 2023 to PC back to ED. By then, I expect to have a BCP in hand as a daily driver.

Message 5 of 12
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

@wasCB14 wrote:

Great! I'll set an alarm for mid January 2023 to PC back to ED. By then, I expect to have a BCP in hand as a daily driver.

Some people will get 15k MRs as retention if they have had the card for a few years or spend at least mid 5 figures.

But it only took about 45 days after I PCed from EDP to ED for Amex to send me a 40k offer to upgrade back to EDP. So getting started on the next downgrade/upgrade cycle may make more sense than accepting a mediocre retention offer to extend the current cycle.

*But definitely YYMV! And I'd probablky take the 15k rather than hope for another upgrade opportunity in the near future.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 6 of 12
unsungivy
Established Contributor

@Junejer wrote:

It is not a daily driver card by any stretch of the imagination.

🤨 Strange thing to say, since it absolutely is. Gotta jump in here and defend this highly underrated card. In fact, it's best as a daily driver since that's the most practical way to hit 30 swipes monthly. 4.5x groceries (which is better than the Gold card), 3x gas, and 1.5x everything else plus offers... comparable to the CFU with the 1.5% base and 3% dining/drugstores (although the CFU doesn't have the swipe requirement not AF, those are what get you that huge boost to groceries). Its value is significantly degraded when it's NOT the daily driver, due to it being more of a pain to get 30 swipes (but still doable with patience). This is diluted when you have other cards to spread specific things around to... such as better gas and dining cards (although 3x gas is solid) or a 2% card.

But as a daily driver when you don't have a large number of cards? That's where the EDP shines.

SD - Biz -
Message 7 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@unsungivy wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

🤨 Strange thing to say, since it absolutely is. Gotta jump in here and defend this highly underrated card. In fact, it's best as a daily driver since that's the most practical way to hit 30 swipes monthly. 4.5x groceries (which is better than the Gold card), 3x gas, and 1.5x everything else plus offers... comparable to the CFU with the 1.5% base and 3% dining/drugstores (although the CFU doesn't have the swipe requirement not AF, those are what get you that huge boost to groceries). Its value is significantly degraded when it's NOT the daily driver, due to it being more of a pain to get 30 swipes (but still doable with patience). This is diluted when you have other cards to spread specific things around to... such as better gas and dining cards (although 3x gas is solid) or a 2% card.

But as a daily driver when you don't have a large number of cards? That's where the EDP shines.

Defend away. I wasn't talking about the card on a macro level, I was speaking about it from my POV. It is not and will not ever be one of my daily driver cards. So, it wasn't at all a strange thing to say.

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

@unsungivy wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

But then why did u SD it😅

Message 9 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@unsungivy wrote:

@Junejer wrote:

But then why did u SD it😅

Great point @Anonymous! I hadn't even noticed that. *smh*

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.