Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get Costco AMEX TrueEarnings card

tag
jay_s
Valued Member

Want to get Costco AMEX TrueEarnings card

Anyone with experience with that card pl help. My scores are TU-662 EX-672 EQ-635. They will get a big bump because i am paying off 96% off my current cap1 credit card. Also I have a car loan starting this month. After 6 months or so, will be good to apply for this card. I will keep the util in cc below 5% and also pay off 50% of car loan in 6 months. Advices appreciated.
Message 1 of 36
35 REPLIES 35
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Re: Want to get Costco AMEX TrueEarnings card

Jay,

I think AMEX almost exclusively pulls Experian.  You may want to try whogavemecredit.com for what they pulled for others.  I can tell you that at the time I applied was 6 months ago and I had an EX score of 700.  I don't know what their cutoff is but I have heard of people with 680's getting the card.  I think once you pay off the credit card debt there shouldn't be much problem score wise.  However AMEX is a crazy beast and you never know what they are going to do.

However I do love the card and they haven't taken any action against me yet.

Message 2 of 36
smalldede
Valued Member

When I apply my AE Costco DEC 2008 . My EX 695 and I apply in store and take 2 days to approve.

Good luckSmiley Happy

Message 3 of 36
jay_s
Valued Member

Thanks guys. I will wait for 6 months or so and will be well above 700 and apply.. Thanks
Message 4 of 36
jay_s
Valued Member

Does applying in the store make a big difference?
Message 5 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Donks3369 wrote:

Jay,

I think AMEX almost exclusively pulls Experian.  You may want to try whogavemecredit.com for what they pulled for others.  I can tell you that at the time I applied was 6 months ago and I had an EX score of 700.  I don't know what their cutoff is but I have heard of people with 680's getting the card.  I think once you pay off the credit card debt there shouldn't be much problem score wise.  However AMEX is a crazy beast and you never know what they are going to do.

However I do love the card and they haven't taken any action against me yet.

In my experience in 2007 they did pull all three credits, or

at least including Transunion..

Message Edited by kulin on 03-19-2009 03:17 PM
Message 6 of 36
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Kulin,

Ouch, they pulled all 3?  That really sucks.

Jay,

I don't think it matters whether you do it online or in the store, they will both be processed the same.

Message 7 of 36
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Actually, if you apply in store they take your picture and if your card is approved, they will put the picture on the back of the card and send it you. If you apply online and approved, you still have to goto store and have them take you rpicture and then put it on the back of the card and mail it to you. So if possible applying in the store can be better, but I am not sure if it would have any bearing on the approval process. As per Costco card approval, besides your score, your purchases with Costco store also  would weigh heavily on the approval.

Message 8 of 36
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

As I understand it, this is one of the toughest AmEx cards to get, and as concorduser said, it really helps to have a shopping history with Costco.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 9 of 36
Donks3369
Established Contributor

Concorduser,

Actually, if you apply online and are approved, they will just use the picture that is on your Cosco membership card.  There is no need to go back into the store just to get your picture taken.

But I agree with others that they also look at your Costco purchases, so watch out for that.

Message 10 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.