Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to get a 2nd BOA CC

tag
dave0311
Established Member

Want to get a 2nd BOA CC

I received an offer in the mail for a BOA card. It's a cool looking all-white credit card, and it offers 3% cash back on gas which would complement my Amex BCE nicely. It also has a $100 cash back offer which I should get no problem. I already have a BOA card, which has been in good standing since I opened it in 2008.

My issue is I have 8 inquiries on my EX report, which is what I've read BOA pulls. Two were from May for CC apps, two were from April for my mortgage, and four were from Sept 2012 for an auto loan which has since been paid off. (However, my FICO score is in the 740s last I checked a couple months ago.) Another issue is I recently checked for pre-approved offers on the BOA website and they didn't have any for me -- which can't be a good sign! Smiley Sad

I guess my first question is, is BOA inquiry sensitive? Also, are they good at giving out second accounts?

I've heard that it's better to call BOA to apply for new CCs than to apply online. Especially for borderline apps, you have a better chance at approval when you speak to a person at BOA. Any truth to this? Anecdotal evidence appreciated! Smiley Tongue

Thanks in advance for any advice! I'd love to get this card, but would hate to waste a HP for a sure denial. Someone please talk me into or out of this! Smiley Very Happy

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Want to get a 2nd BOA CC

Message 2 of 10
eddie84
Valued Contributor

I have 3 BofA CC (Travel Rewards, Better Balance Rewards & Privileges Cash Rewards).  The app process was pretty much straightforward (I did them all online) and didn't have any problem with any of them except the last one since I've accumulated quite a few inquiries. Smiley Embarassed

My scores were all in the 700's range and all of my CL starts at $5k except that last one ($4k).  They can also move the credit line between any of the card for you and will ask you how much you wanna leave on each card, etc.  I wouldn't say they're inquiry-sensitive since they approved me for that last card when I have over 10 inquiries. lol

Message 3 of 10
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I think Bank of America mailed offers are pretty solid... Online or phone isn't going to matter because they are typing the same invitation number you are... They can transfer you to credit if issues maybe but you are here and know that number already... Do it online so you know the info entered is correct!
Message 4 of 10
ssdc1980
New Contributor

You have awesome scores and fantastic history with BOA, I say go for it. Besides it sounds like a few of your inquiries can be explained away as rate shopping.
Message 5 of 10
dave0311
Established Member

Thanks everyone -- and I appreciate the bump!

I called up earlier and got approved! My CL is $7,500. Smiley Very Happy

Message 6 of 10
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 7 of 10
eddie84
Valued Contributor

Yah, congrats!  A few months down try hitting their luv button again. lol

Message 8 of 10
myjourney
Super Contributor

@dave0311 wrote:

Thanks everyone -- and I appreciate the bump!

I called up earlier and got approved! My CL is $7,500. Smiley Very Happy

Congrats 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 9 of 10
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Congrats! I recently got a $10k BOA card and got 16 mos 0% interest! Yay!
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.