cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want to make a $1000 purchase on a $1500 limit card. shipping takes time. How to handle this?

tag
RehabbingANDBlabbing
Established Contributor

Re: Want to make a $1000 purchase on a $1500 limit card. shipping takes time. How to handle this?

The good thing here is that you are also showing Wells Fargo that you have a need for a higher limit and can manage it responsibly. TBH, with a 739 score, they should have given you a CLI already. I'd say give this card another year and see if it grows. If not, then put it in the sock drawer and charge $5 to it every 6 months.

I think people often get stuck in a cycle of cards with lower limits when none of their current cards will go up and they can't neccessarily get approved for new cards with higher limits. If you use Target, it will definitely increase over time.

You might also look into getting a Capital One card. With your scores, you likely would not have any issues getting approved, even with baddies, and many people report getting decent starting lines with them. For you, I would recommend trying the prequalification tool and selecting average credit. The cards for average credit tend to have higher starting lines and grow better than the starter cards. Their no annual fee Quicksilver card would give you all the same benefits as your Wells Fargo card. They also have the Savor One card for average credit that does a good amount of cash back on dining (I believe it's 3%, with some 2% categories, and 1% for evrything else).

Message 21 of 23
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Want to make a $1000 purchase on a $1500 limit card. shipping takes time. How to handle this?

@RehabbingANDBlabbing wrote:

The good thing here is that you are also showing Wells Fargo that you have a need for a higher limit and can manage it responsibly. TBH, with a 739 score, they should have given you a CLI already. I'd say give this card another year and see if it grows. If not, then put it in the sock drawer and charge $5 to it every 6 months.

I think people often get stuck in a cycle of cards with lower limits when none of their current cards will go up and they can't neccessarily get approved for new cards with higher limits. If you use Target, it will definitely increase over time.

You might also look into getting a Capital One card. With your scores, you likely would not have any issues getting approved, even with baddies, and many people report getting decent starting lines with them. For you, I would recommend trying the prequalification tool and selecting average credit. The cards for average credit tend to have higher starting lines and grow better than the starter cards. Their no annual fee Quicksilver card would give you all the same benefits as your Wells Fargo card. They also have the Savor One card for average credit that does a good amount of cash back on dining (I believe it's 3%, with some 2% categories, and 1% for evrything else).

The OP already tried that route which did not yield any fruit, unfortunately.  OP has also indicated they're not interested in Discover.  For background, see previous thread on those outcomes/discussions:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Applications/Credit-Journey-AMEX-BCE-Prequal-Denied-Cap...

Message 22 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

I *just* survivied. Pushed it to $3 left in credit and made a early payment when I could to restore to something a bit more sane. Bed shipped yesterday so I can paid that and be back to normal. They didn't take nearly as long as they said they would. 

Thankfully payments for me become effective immediately. 

As a side note only problem is need to sleep on the floor now until it comes. Current bed got the point were I woke up with serious pain and said i'm never sleeping on this again. 

Message 23 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.