Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning: Citi DC Activation Phishing Scam

tag
Kevin86475391
Frequent Contributor

Warning: Citi DC Activation Phishing Scam

Hi all,

Wanted to give people a heads about an apparent phishing scam related to Citi Double Cash cards. Recently it seems that Citi automatically upgraded many cardholders from the World Mastercard to the World Elite Mastercard. There was a thread on this forum about it with a few different members mentioning they'd been upgraded.

Anyway, I was one of the people Citi sent the new cards to and as such had to activate my new card. I did that as soon as it came in last week I think (perhaps the week before). Tonight I received an email saying I needed to activate my new DC cash card. The email had the DC design and specifically mentioned that it was a Double Cash card (rather than just being vague about 'your Citi card' or something). Most concerningly of all it even had the last 4 digits of my card number.

I clicked the link and was immediately taken to a Citi-looking webpage where, surprise surprise, it prompted me to enter my full card number. Fortunately this set off warning bells and I stopped. I then called Citi and spoke with a representative who assured me they had not sent me any such email and that my card was already activated.

I have no idea how the would-be fraudster got ahold of the last 4 digits of my account - but then again those are sometimes shown on receipts - but I logged in to check my account for suspicious activity and all was good. Just wanted to give others a heads up since I know I'm not the only one on the forum who recently received a new DC card to activate.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Warning: Citi DC Activation Phishing Scam

Thanks for the warning. I don't personally have a dc myself, but I'm sure others will find this beneficial.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got this email yesterday, but I haven't received any upgrades.
Message 3 of 5
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

Hi all,

Wanted to give people a heads about an apparent phishing scam related to Citi Double Cash cards. Recently it seems that Citi automatically upgraded many cardholders from the World Mastercard to the World Elite Mastercard. There was a thread on this forum about it with a few different members mentioning they'd been upgraded.

Anyway, I was one of the people Citi sent the new cards to and as such had to activate my new card. I did that as soon as it came in last week I think (perhaps the week before). Tonight I received an email saying I needed to activate my new DC cash card. The email had the DC design and specifically mentioned that it was a Double Cash card (rather than just being vague about 'your Citi card' or something). Most concerningly of all it even had the last 4 digits of my card number.

I clicked the link and was immediately taken to a Citi-looking webpage where, surprise surprise, it prompted me to enter my full card number. Fortunately this set off warning bells and I stopped. I then called Citi and spoke with a representative who assured me they had not sent me any such email and that my card was already activated.

I have no idea how the would-be fraudster got ahold of the last 4 digits of my account - but then again those are sometimes shown on receipts - but I logged in to check my account for suspicious activity and all was good. Just wanted to give others a heads up since I know I'm not the only one on the forum who recently received a new DC card to activate.

I overcome this by requiring text only emails (boring I know).  Plus, with more than 20 email addresses, I am likely to find a phishing scam (such as one directed to an old web hosting account, vs the actual email for that account, re att scam).  However, I have been avoiding scams for 14 years with my current email addresses.  Before responding, check where the email is from (can even do this on iPad with copy to notepad), have everything sent in text, and make sure the email matches the account email.  No phishing nor viral attempts successful here, as opposed to my friend, knock on wood.

Signature needs updating
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kevin86475391 wrote:

I've found Citi reps to be generally intelligent and clear...but occasionally in the dark about what some other part of the bank is doing.

I wouldn't assume something to be true just because a Citi CSR said it.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.