Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Master Synchrony Account Closure Thread

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Warning: Synchrony closed all of my accounts details may help others avoid

Debt consolidation loans are supposed to help a person reduce their debt.  Credit limit increases help a person increase their debt.  From the bank's point of view, you're trying to play it both ways, and they didn't want any part of that.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 320 of 1,099
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Doubt it was the CLI's but the debt consolidation loan and the slew of inquiries showed possibly trouble coming.  Sorry this happened

^^^ times 10

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 321 of 1,099
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Is that really a slew of inquiries it's 10/3 bureaus.

Would Sync even see them all or just 1 bureau?

Yes, its a slew!

When I first read OPs post, I wasn't surprised that AA was taken, although I was sad it happened. 

Aggressive credit seeking is never a good idea in any climate, and doing it now puts a spotlight on the behavior and brings unwanted attention to your credit profile. And yes, Sync can see all bureaus through SPs. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 322 of 1,099
NRB525
Super Contributor

Thanks for sharing your details OP. Sorry to hear this happened to you.

The 5% at Amazon might be the one I'd miss. I don't have any Sync cards though. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 323 of 1,099
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks all. 

Bottom line is minimal impact on my credit scores just loss of rewards from Amazon, B&H and Lowe's.  

I have enough credit and still a low enough utilization.  

I learned a lesson without too much pain.   Once I get the letter in the mail I will share the details.  

Message 324 of 1,099
CreditCrusader
Valued Contributor

I agree with the growing consensus regarding the combination of the debt consolidation loan and requests for CLIs.

ANY lender (not just Sync) would raise an eyebrow with that confluence of factors.

But look, this is just a blip on a large radar. It sucks, but shake it off and move forward.

In my wallet: Apple $5,000, local CU $15,000, Bread AMEX $5,000. In my sock drawer: A few other cards Smiley Happy

Current scores (EQ, EX, TU): 787, 788, 796
Message 325 of 1,099
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

I don't know why everyone keeps listing the debt consolidation loan as a reason. Sync can't see what the loan is for, just that there's a new one. Now if the monthly payment changed DTI significantly, or combined with maxed cards could cause the OP to be severely overextended, then I can see why AA might be taken, but they have no idea it's a debt consolidation loan unless a lender put in comments saying what it was.

Message 326 of 1,099
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

I don't know why everyone keeps listing the debt consolidation loan as a reason. Sync can't see what the loan is for, just that there's a new one. Now if the monthly payment changed DTI significantly, or combined with maxed cards could cause the OP to be severely overextended, then I can see why AA might be taken, but they have no idea it's a debt consolidation loan unless a lender put in comments saying what it was.

It's part of a pattern over the last 3 months of also actively seeking unsecured credit via new cards + CLI requests, coupled with a fairly big jump in unsecured debt.   

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 327 of 1,099
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Not hard for a computer program to see balances going from CC to (personal loan in this case debt consolidation loan;  this can pretty easily be inferred) and now person can charge up more debt, etc.. Basically just debt shuffling and how CC companies see it and in todays environment they don't want to be the person holding the bag of coal if a person gets over their head.

Message 328 of 1,099
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@CreditCuriosity wrote:

Not hard for a computer program to see balances going from CC to (personal loan in this case debt consolidation loan;  this can pretty easily be inferred) and now person can charge up more debt, etc.. Basically robing peter to pay paul is how I see it and probably CC companies see it in todays environment leaving them for a higher chance of dafault possibly.

So you're saying lenders have written code to watch for a new loan and sudden drop in revolving balances and to regard that data as someone taking out a debt consolidation loan? 

Message 329 of 1,099
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.