Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning about GM Rewards Card by GS

tag
RobynJ
Established Contributor

Warning about GM Rewards Card by GS

So I have posted recently about some reporting issues I have had with my Goldman Sachs GM Rewards Card. I was approved back on 5/12/2022 for the card and was given a Virtual card to use until the real card came. I put a small $2 purchase so it would report that statement closing. I called and asked CSR what my closing and payment dates are and was told payments are due on the 9th every month and statement closing is on the 12th every month. She then went on to tell me that they report on the 3rd week of the month. Well first statement closed 6/12 and the $2 reported. I spent $1629 on 6/19 and on the 21st I received an alert that my balance changed. So now they reported on the 12th and the 19th (same day I made purchase). I called and asked why they did this and they put a request to fix the double reporting. On the 26th they reported again and my balance now was $58. So I figured it wouldn't be reported again till the 3rd week of July and it would be my statement balance. I also have the Apple Card from GS and it closes the last day of every month. I got another alert my account was PIF as I didn't have a balance on the Apple Card and right below was another alert for the same thing for my GM Rewards card. It said the balance was 0 as of 6/30 for Apple and 0 for GM Rewards as of 7/3. So the card has reported 4 times in a 3 week time frame. Has anyone else had this issue? I will update if it reports again for statement close on the 12th. Be careful if you are not trying to have balances report if you have this card. 

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

/
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Ilinferno
Established Contributor

Re: Warning about GM Rewards Card by GS

Wow that's pretty wild. Haven't heard about it from GS but Synchrony did this for me the first few months I had the Venmo Visa then they chilled out and reported monthly.

Message 2 of 15
RobynJ
Established Contributor

@Ilinferno wrote:

Wow that's pretty wild. Haven't heard about it from GS but Synchrony did this for me the first few months I had the Venmo Visa then they chilled out and reported monthly.

I will only use this card for small purchases now as I don't want to risk them reporting a high utilization. My CL is $3500 and I did a $1600 purchase and would have probably run it up to $2500 or more then PIF prior to statement closing. This would kill me if that would be reported. I know that some talk about my scores would go right back once reported again but that isn't entirely true as the new Fico scores also use trending data and could hurt for a longer period of time. I just don't want to risk it. 

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

/
Message 3 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Are you trying to get ready for a mortgage or make a large purchase?

I know it's popular around here to play the scoring games, but you have to live a bit, too.  Smiley Wink

For what it's worth, I have multiple cards that report balances that combine to be anywhere from $3k to $8k each month, and my scores are currently hovering around 800.  True, I'd probably pick up a few more points if I played the 'all zero execept one' game, but that's too much work for no actual gain.

Message 4 of 15
RobynJ
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I know it's popular around here to play the scoring games, but you have to live a bit, too.  Smiley Wink

For what it's worth, I have multiple cards that report balances that combine to be anywhere from $3k to $8k each month, and my scores are currently hovering around 800.  True, I'd probably pick up a few more points if I played the 'all zero execept one' game, but that's too much work for no actual gain.

@UncleB  No I'm not looking for a mortgage as of now but I have a new credit history and I'm more concerned with the trending data then I am of Fico 8 scores as of right now. I'm not sure how much it plays with the scores for TD but high utilization is sure to effect it. Once my file ages I will probably be at the same scenario you're at but for now I want to build a solid history first. Do you agree or am I just being to cautious? Be honest as it won't hurt my feelings lol. 

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

/
Message 5 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@RobynJ wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@UncleB  No I'm not looking for a mortgage as of now but I have a new credit history and I'm more concerned with the trending data then I am of Fico 8 scores as of right now. I'm not sure how much it plays with the scores for TD but high utilization is sure to effect it. Once my file ages I will probably be at the same scenario you're at but for now I want to build a solid history first. Do you agree or am I just being to cautious? Be honest as it won't hurt my feelings lol. 

I always try not to hurt feelings!  Smiley Wink

Here's the thing... we all have different goals.  If your goal is to maximize your scores that's what we need to help you figure out.  Your siggy says you're currently at 808, which is really strong, but if you want to hit 850 'just because' that's a totally valid reason to work on each and every detail to get every point.

With that said, your data point about GS having odd reporting with the Apple card is a great data point for others.  We already know Synchrony is known to do this, and with a little luck this 'habit' won't spread to other lenders.

Message 6 of 15
RobynJ
Established Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@RobynJ wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Here's the thing... we all have different goals.  If your goal is to maximize your scores that's what we need to help you figure out.  Your siggy says you're currently at 808, which is really strong, but if you want to hit 850 'just because' that's a totally valid reason to work on each and every detail to get every point.

With that said, your data point about GS having odd reporting with the Apple card is a great data point for others.  We already know Synchrony is know to do this, and with a little luck this 'habit' won't spread to other lenders.

My Fico 9 score is 808 as of now. At this point I don't have a Fico 8 score as my history is 5.5 months old except for my rent reporters account that is 4years 3 months old which gave me the Fico 9 score so soon. My Fico 8 should be produced on 7/24/2022 which is when my first account turns 6 months old except again for the rent reporters account. This is why I am so concerned about what is reported. Any thoughts?

> > > > > > > > >

Starting Score:

Current Score:
My highest 818

Goal Score:

/
Message 7 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@RobynJ wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

@RobynJ wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

With that said, your data point about GS having odd reporting with the Apple card is a great data point for others.  We already know Synchrony is know to do this, and with a little luck this 'habit' won't spread to other lenders.

My Fico 9 score is 808 as of now. At this point I don't have a Fico 8 score as my history is 5.5 months old except for my rent reporters account that is 4years 3 months old which gave me the Fico 9 score so soon. My Fico 8 should be produced on 7/24/2022 which is when my first account turns 6 months old except again for the rent reporters account. This is why I am so concerned about what is reported. Any thoughts?

I'm not a FICO expert (we have others around here who know much more than I do) but it seems to me the most straight-forward thing you need is time.  If something 'stray' does report for a month I wouldn't panic over it, but I do agree that for that month it might have an impact (although as time goes on, your scores will become more resilient to small changes).

If it were me, I would just continue posting and participating over in Understanding FICO Scoring; there's tons of folks who hang out there who live for taking a deep-dive into the agorithm (the best we can, anyway), trying to find ways to eke out every possible point.

Message 8 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@RobynJ I wouldn't worry too much about Fico 10/10T. While it's true (from what little we know) that it uses trended data, no lenders that I know of actually use it right now. It may not be implemented until years down the road. I mean most lenders are still using FICO 8, which came out in 2009. 13 years later it's still the preferred score. Not even FICO 9 has been widely adopted. So I think it'll be a while before 10/10T takes off (if it ever does). Smiley Wink

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 9 of 15
Zoostation1
Valued Contributor

I can only hope to be in a situation down the line where what I thought were modest reported utilization changes (5% max 1 card to 10% and 4% aggregate to 9%) don't change scores to an appreciable degree.  Instead I lost 16pts on one of my FICO8 scores and anywhere from 21-28 on my FICO9 scores just going from $100 and 0 to $203 and $23 reported on my 2 CC accounts

Rebuild Started Nov 2021
June 2022 FICO 8:
June 2022 FICO 9:
April 2024 FICO 8:
April 2024 FICO 9:
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.