Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Warning for SDFCU secured card

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Warning for SDFCU secured card

In 2015 when I was building my credit, I signed up for a SDFCU secured credit card. Well in March 2017 my card was compromised, someone tried making several $500 purchases. The purchases had never went through, and they ordered me a new card #. All was well.

Well I checked my credit report just now and saw that my 2 year old SDFCU account was closed! And a new one opened. For some reason, through them getting a new card# means having a whole new account. They never explained this to me at all. Now this will affect my age of accounts, which is already struggling as is since I also recently traded in a vehicle for a new one.  It's making me so frustrated, because the only purpose of  me still having this credit card is for the age (I know its not very old, but I don't have very lengthy credit history at all). I only use it to pay one small recurring bill each month and I pay the balance off. 

I just wanted to inform anyone who is thinking about SDFCU, be warned that if you get a new card# that means they will completely close your account and give you a new one.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Warning for SDFCU secured card

I don't know if this is your situation, but it seems sometimes when a new card is issued a new acct will temporarily show on the report. After the new card is issued and the old deactivated the new acct will be updated with the existing acct history. Something to do with how accts are recorded perhaps?
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can confirm that this is only temporary. Happened to me with discover. Just give it 30 days you'll be fine OP.
Message 3 of 7
Creditplz
Valued Contributor

Happened to me with Cabelas, it had a note saying "lost/stolen" and a new account was put... it eventually went away, less then 30days.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me with discover...the old account went away on 2/3 reports, had to do a painless dispute on the third, discover fixed it in a few days after that.

Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok thank you all! Right now it still says closed but I will keep checking. That sure makes me feel better!
Message 6 of 7
olehammer
Frequent Contributor

I can assure you this is not temporary. I have (2)!! Closed accounts on SDFCU, one since my first card never arrived and second for compromised account 3 weeks in before I even used the card!! I've complained multiple times without any help. I'm sorry for the position you're in.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.