Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was Chase Sapphire Reserve a splash or a dud

tag
Xistaben2
New Contributor

Re: Was Chase Sapphire Reserve a splash or a dud

For the folks that are getting the CSR this year with the 100k bonus, it is a no brainer splash.  They are basically paying folks $1750 to have this card for a year.

100K UR's with base value of $1500 after 50% redemption bonus, 2 x travel credits at $300 each, $100 redemption for TSA Precheck and Global Entry.

1500 + 300 + 300 + 100 = 2200 - 450 = 1750

And that is before any points you earn via the actual rewards structure.  A churner's wet dream.

Message 21 of 45
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Well some feel it was more of a dud because not as many people qualify for it as would have in the past, due to 5/24. I think that's going to be the new normal though, tougher requirements on cards with large bonuses, and we need to get used to it. Banks are done handing out bonuses like candy at least for right now. So in that sense yes it's a dud.

For someone who can justify it long term it's a great card but like anything, it's not great for everyone.

Message 22 of 45
driftless
Valued Contributor

I think that it only makes sense if you are really bought into Chase's UR ecosystem, if you are it is huge splash.
CSR | Amex Platinum | EDP | QS (2)
Amex Blue Business Plus
Message 23 of 45
ecxpa
Valued Contributor

I think that Chase wants to eliminate churners.........it will be interesting to see how they react to the response they got from the C$R and I'm pretty sure other lenders are looking at the 5/24 rule also.  It will also be interesting to see how many of the approvals keep the card with its high AF, and from what I have seen relatively low SL .......especially those that do not meet the spend for the 100K bonus.

Message 24 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@ecxpa wrote:

I think that Chase wants to eliminate churners.........it will be interesting to see how they react to the response they got from the C$R and I'm pretty sure other lenders are looking at the 5/24 rule also.  It will also be interesting to see how many of the approvals keep the card with its high AF, and from what I have seen relatively low SL .......especially those that do not meet the spend for the 100K bonus.

Anyone over 5/24 needs to go to a branch to see if they are prequalified for the card.  I was 8/24 and I was prequalified at a branch and approved for 31k not a low CL.  I think most of those low limits were from the early app leak.  I'll keep the card because the net AF is only $55 more than CSP.  I treat the $300 travel credit as a prepaid expense for travel I do anyway.

I wish the card had more travel perks which I would have paid a higher AF for because I do travel a lot and find Amex plat and prestige better cards for those kind of perks.  But for the mere ur rewards this card is very good making FU a 2.25% non catagory spend card , freedom and ink+ a 7.50% catagory spend card without considering partner point transfers.  The 100k sign-up bonus is huge.  This card could be better and I'm disappointed that it isn't better but I'll take it.  Not a dud but in no way an out of the park home run.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 25 of 45
Anonymous
Not applicable

Splash as far as being a better all around card than comparable ones from other lenders. Dud as far as the hype of being the card to replace the Palladium, which turned out to be totally false. There really is nothing exclusive about the card, just a more expensive CSP with a bigger bonus and more points.

Ever since I read about the JPM Reserve card, which is all around better and includes United Club lounge benefits for the same price as the CSR, I can't stop thinking about it. Perhaps I will qualify for the card after hitting the lotto =P

Message 26 of 45
Xistaben2
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Splash as far as being a better all around card than comparable ones from other lenders.

I tend to agree with this logic - I was pretty convinced (about 4 days ago) that I was going to commit to AMEX and MR's and was contemplating a PRG and possibly the Platinum.  While the Platinum has better use case perks, it's rather underwhelming in utility.  The fact that you'd have to pay for a PRG and Platinum in order to have perks and travel/dining points is what makes the Platinum's overall utility lacking.  You'd be hard pressed to actually find people using a Platinum for the majority of their spend.  Plus you have to McGuyver your travel credit each year in order to use it to its potential, otherwise you end up paying for flight extra's that you normally would probably not need.  (I've never been on a flight where I couldn't gate check my bags for free)

The CSR being an overall travel credit, makes it appealing that it can credit actual cost of flights etc without much thought behind it.  Combine that with point generation on travel and dining (great generation I might add) is like combining the rewards from the PRG with the perks of a Platinum sans the extra 195 AF.

Taking all of this into consideration - I decided to bag MR's for a UR structure, just sucks I jumped on the EDP before having this revelation.

Message 27 of 45
redpat
Senior Contributor

@Xistaben2 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Splash as far as being a better all around card than comparable ones from other lenders.

I tend to agree with this logic - I was pretty convinced (about 4 days ago) that I was going to commit to AMEX and MR's and was contemplating a PRG and possibly the Platinum.  While the Platinum has better use case perks, it's rather underwhelming in utility.  The fact that you'd have to pay for a PRG and Platinum in order to have perks and travel/dining points is what makes the Platinum's overall utility lacking.  You'd be hard pressed to actually find people using a Platinum for the majority of their spend.  Plus you have to McGuyver your travel credit each year in order to use it to its potential, otherwise you end up paying for flight extra's that you normally would probably not need.  (I've never been on a flight where I couldn't gate check my bags for free)

The CSR being an overall travel credit, makes it appealing that it can credit actual cost of flights etc without much thought behind it.  Combine that with point generation on travel and dining (great generation I might add) is like combining the rewards from the PRG with the perks of a Platinum sans the extra 195 AF.

Taking all of this into consideration - I decided to bag MR's for a UR structure, just sucks I jumped on the EDP before having this revelation.

EDP is a great card and having use of two reward programs is good to have.  If you do travel a lot then I think you will love Amex plat.  Getting 30 swipes on EDP isn't hard when you use it for daily morning coffee and have DW or someone as an AU on it and 4.5x on grocery and 3x on gas is makes it one of the best cards on the market.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 28 of 45
galahad15
Valued Contributor

@redpat wrote:

@ecxpa wrote:

Anyone over 5/24 needs to go to a branch to see if they are prequalified for the card.  I was 8/24 and I was prequalified at a branch and approved for 31k not a low CL.  I think most of those low limits were from the early app leak.  I'll keep the card because the net AF is only $55 more than CSP.  I treat the $300 travel credit as a prepaid expense for travel I do anyway.

I wish the card had more travel perks which I would have paid a higher AF for because I do travel a lot and find Amex plat and prestige better cards for those kind of perks.  But for the mere ur rewards this card is very good making FU a 2.25% non catagory spend card , freedom and ink+ a 7.50% catagory spend card without considering partner point transfers.  The 100k sign-up bonus is huge.  This card could be better and I'm disappointed that it isn't better but I'll take it.  Not a dud but in no way an out of the park home run.

Congratulations on the approval and on the excellent SL!

Message 29 of 45
mjb59463
Regular Contributor

Dud if you got denied due to 5/24
Splash for everyone else.
Scores: 790 TU (Barclay), 780 EX (Fico8), 790 EQ

Chase Freedom Unlimited (6k), CSP (20k), Amex Delta Platinum (13.5k), Amex Marriott Bonvoy (16k), Barclay Apple (12.5k), USBank Flexperks Travel Rewards (12k), Wells Fargo Visa Signature (10k), Citi Double Cash (8k), Amex Gold, Amex Platinum, Amex BBP (15k) Marriott Bonvoy Boundless (15k)
Message 30 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.