Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was the boa hard pull worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Was the boa hard pull worth it?

So recently i got a boa cash rewards card. Sl 5,000. Had it for 2 months. I have read this card can grow alot with some transunion hard pulls. I have also read of people getting to hit the cli button after 3 months, some 6. My question is when did you hit the button and was the increase worth the pull?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Was the boa hard pull worth it?

I hit it at 3 months and went from $900 to $2.8k. TU was 751 when they pulled it.

If $5k is enough for your spending habits (Which I think it would be for most who use only for gas, since you're already using the BCE for groceries), I would recommend growing the Amex and Cap1's with SP's before worrying about the CR.

Message 2 of 23
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

For me it was definitely worth it. In almost 1.5 years on my CR I've gone from $5.5K-->$11.5K-->$20K-->to $30K just a few days ago. Use it at least 5-6 mos. starting out with usage and pymt. and if you decide to take the TU HP try every 5-6 mos. thereafter.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I hit it at 3 months and went from $900 to $2.8k. TU was 751 when they pulled it.

If $5k is enough for your spending habits (Which I think it would be for most who use only for gas, since you're already using the BCE for groceries), I would recommend growing the Amex and Cap1's with SP's before worrying about the CR.

I would LOVE to grow my amex. I got in with a 1,000 limit which is basically borderline approval from what i have read about amex. my cap ones are sub prime cards and have not grown in the year i have had them. I have read i am better off closing the cap ones and re applying since my scores are over 100 points higher now.

Message 4 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Hoarder that's massive congrats! I hope to grow mine just as tall!Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definte "worth it" because your question is too vague to answer well.

For some, the card's rewards are worth it.  I don't see much value in it for my spend, so it wouldn't be for me in that area.

For others, the fact that BoA gives hefty CLIs over the years may be worth it.  Of course, YMMV there, and some get huge CLIs over 2 years while others wait 10 years to get there.  Also not "worth it".

If you're chasing Chase 5/24, then a new account is usually NOT worth it unless you can earn $$$ on your organic spend.

All of it is YMMV and only you can do the math to decide.

Message 6 of 23
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

Its hard to say if BOA or any CC is worth HP for CLI , some say no since you aren't getting anything from it like a signup bonus you would with other cards. For me I wouldn't say it is worth it but for others they may feel differently

edit:spelling

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 7 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

If you are purely concerned with increasing your total cl and not as concerned with rewards, you may be better off taking the 3 hp's from Cap One for a Venture card. If you have a pre-approval, you will likely get 10k, maybe even 20k based on your income, then sp's after that. This may also lead to better limits with other lenders down the road.

Of course, if your objective is to get an ideal card lineup, then the venture may be a bad idea. But considering the cards you have in your signature, I'm guessing you may want a high limit venture in there.
Message 8 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
If you are purely concerned with increasing your total cl and not as concerned with rewards, you may be better off taking the 3 hp's from Cap One for a Venture card. If you have a pre-approval, you will likely get 10k, maybe even 20k based on your income, then sp's after that. This may also lead to better limits with other lenders down the road.

Of course, if your objective is to get an ideal card lineup, then the venture may be a bad idea. But considering the cards you have in your signature, I'm guessing you may want a high limit venture in there.

I have been considering the venture actually. Only thing is i like cash rewards more versus travel. I have not looked into the venture enough to see if you can redeem for other things besides travel. i am new to credit, my aaoa is only 14 momths so i am trying to not totally demolish that as i look for cards. My experience with cap1 with my subprime cards with them has been less then stellar, but to be expected since i got those cards when i had a very low score. I think in a year or so i will consider the venture if i feel like the rewards are worth it. Let my accounts that i have grow and try and build the limits that i do have. Thank you!

Message 9 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mongstradamus wrote:

Its hard to say if BOA or any CC is worth HP for CLI , some say no since you aren't getting anything from it like a signup bonus you would with other cards. For me I wouldn't say it is worth it but for others they may feel differently

edit:spelling

thats a good point . The sign up bonuses alone sometimes are worth the hard pull.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.