cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We're all WAY too paranoid about AmEx...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

We're all WAY too paranoid about AmEx...

Today, I noticed a few pending charges from a gas station that I've never been to.  They were pending, but I thought I'd call AmEx and let them know that something was up.  "Don't worry," they told me.  "We have excellent fraud detection systems."  The rep made a comment on my account to placate me, then told me not to worry.

For kicks, I checked an hour later and a whole slew of pending charges I didn't make and immediately called AmEx.  I told them that I didn't care to wait to see if their fraud detection systems picked up on it and to immediately cancel my card and please issue me a new number.  This rep complied and apologized that the first rep didn't listen to me.

I've seen so much on these boards about how if you buy a burrito at Taco Bell (especially as your first transaction with them), you're going to get instantly F/Red and AmEx is going to move in to a house across the street to spy on you with binoculars.  But clearly, AmEx isn't paying the attention we think they are.

1. I've been an AmEx customer for a very long time and I've never once been to the gas station where the first charges were made.

2. I've set foot in a Wal-Mart once in my life and it was as a teenager and I didn't buy anything with an AmEx card, but AmEx approved a several hundred dollar transaction there today.

3. Ditto for the third store-- another discount store.  (I don't mean to sound haughty, my point is that this is totally out of character for my normal spending.)

4. ...because all of those places are at least 500 miles from where I live, where...

5. ...I used the card this morning to buy gum.

So to review, large transactions were made 500 miles away in stores I've never shopped in while I was using my card near my home AFTER I called them and reported suspected fraud.

The second rep was very polite and offered to overnight a replacement card and assured me I wouldn't be held liable for these fraudulent charges, so I'm not sweating it and I do appreciate how helpful she was.  But my point is that these magical, draconian algorithms that are rumored to be in place clearly...aren't.

If AmEx didn't think anything was up when someone was getting three fillups and buying toilet paper at WalMart 500 miles away from me while I was buying gum with the same card, I really don't think they give a four-letter word if you're using your card to buy a Happy Meal.

Message 1 of 31
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: We're all WAY too paranoid about AmEx...

im not... theres always going to be way overly paronoid people and  a lot of them seem to be credit addicts

Message 2 of 31
sandsanta
Contributor

There are entire threads on a lot of boards, WSJ and NYT articles, as well as recent anecdotal accounts here on myfico of FR's occuring.  While its good that your experience with AMEX has been clean, it doesn't negate the fact FR's do happen and the paranoia is due to the fact that there's no real set pattern to them(as visible from the outside).  As is always the case, each individual's personal experience is unique and the best advice is to be on top of your accounts. 

Message 3 of 31
Anonymous
Not applicable

That there are entire threads about financial reviews doesn't mean anything.  When BofA pisses you off, you're much more inclined to google "screw BofA" and find a huge group of people to kvetch about it with.  Conversely, when you have nothing to say about BofA and you think "eh, BofA is whatever" you're not going to actively search out people to commiserate with.  So sure, hundreds (thousands?) of people who've been subjected to financial reviews obviously do get upset and take to the internet to talk about it.  But on boards like these, where the topic is credit, people lose their perspective and when a few dozen people complain about it (against MILLIONS of customers), it ends up blown entirely out of proportion.

And you also have to bear in mind that some people who complain about getting financial reviews are not as credit aware (obsessed?) as others, so carrying a $2,000 balance for a month might not seem like a big deal to them, but it could very well have jacked up their utilization to a level that's unacceptable to AmEx...but good luck getting people to go through their credit reports at the time the decision was made to figure out what caused it.

I'm sure there's a handful of them that are totally ill-warranted, but I'd be willing to bet that's a small percentage of cases and that those people are way more inclined to scream loudly about it, thus blowing it out of proprtion.

@sandsanta wrote:

There are entire threads on a lot of boards, WSJ and NYT articles, as well as recent anecdotal accounts here on myfico of FR's occuring.  While its good that your experience with AMEX has been clean, it doesn't negate the fact FR's do happen and the paranoia is due to the fact that there's no real set pattern to them(as visible from the outside).  As is always the case, each individual's personal experience is unique and the best advice is to be on top of your accounts. 

Message 4 of 31
rbizzle
Contributor

had my amex card since i was 18....im 24 now....never once had an FR never had a thing to worry about.  I honestly dont think they care what i do as long as i pay my bill every month!  I only had one fraud incident and that was after someone had racked up over 2k in charges walking through a mall.  lucky them.  But i think this thread is sooooo correct with us all being way to paranoid.  Amex is an awesome company and there is no need to be so overly paranoid.  Just do what you do on a day to day basis and there shoudn't be a problem.

Message 5 of 31
sandsanta
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That there are entire threads about financial reviews doesn't mean anything.  When BofA pisses you off, you're much more inclined to google "screw BofA" and find a huge group of people to kvetch about it with.  Conversely, when you have nothing to say about BofA and you think "eh, BofA is whatever" you're not going to actively search out people to commiserate with.  So sure, hundreds (thousands?) of people who've been subjected to financial reviews obviously do get upset and take to the internet to talk about it.  But on boards like these, where the topic is credit, people lose their perspective and when a few dozen people complain about it (against MILLIONS of customers), it ends up blown entirely out of proportion.

And you also have to bear in mind that some people who complain about getting financial reviews are not as credit aware (obsessed?) as others, so carrying a $2,000 balance for a month might not seem like a big deal to them, but it could very well have jacked up their utilization to a level that's unacceptable to AmEx...but good luck getting people to go through their credit reports at the time the decision was made to figure out what caused it.

I'm sure there's a handful of them that are totally ill-warranted, but I'd be willing to bet that's a small percentage of cases and that those people are way more inclined to scream loudly about it, thus blowing it out of proprtion.

@sandsanta wrote:

There are actual newspaper articles written on the topic, one of which has Amex confirming on record that they've done FR's based on the economic status of geographical areas.  I'm not inclined to search them for you, however the countless thousands of posts on the topic has tons of information linking those articles. 

Message 6 of 31
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Today, I noticed a few pending charges from a gas station that I've never been to.  They were pending, but I thought I'd call AmEx and let them know that something was up.  "Don't worry," they told me.  "We have excellent fraud detection systems."  The rep made a comment on my account to placate me, then told me not to worry.

For kicks, I checked an hour later and a whole slew of pending charges I didn't make and immediately called AmEx.  I told them that I didn't care to wait to see if their fraud detection systems picked up on it and to immediately cancel my card and please issue me a new number.  This rep complied and apologized that the first rep didn't listen to me.

I've seen so much on these boards about how if you buy a burrito at Taco Bell (especially as your first transaction with them), you're going to get instantly F/Red and AmEx is going to move in to a house across the street to spy on you with binoculars.  But clearly, AmEx isn't paying the attention we think they are.

1. I've been an AmEx customer for a very long time and I've never once been to the gas station where the first charges were made.

2. I've set foot in a Wal-Mart once in my life and it was as a teenager and I didn't buy anything with an AmEx card, but AmEx approved a several hundred dollar transaction there today.

3. Ditto for the third store-- another discount store.  (I don't mean to sound haughty, my point is that this is totally out of character for my normal spending.)

4. ...because all of those places are at least 500 miles from where I live, where...

5. ...I used the card this morning to buy gum.

So to review, large transactions were made 500 miles away in stores I've never shopped in while I was using my card near my home AFTER I called them and reported suspected fraud.

The second rep was very polite and offered to overnight a replacement card and assured me I wouldn't be held liable for these fraudulent charges, so I'm not sweating it and I do appreciate how helpful she was.  But my point is that these magical, draconian algorithms that are rumored to be in place clearly...aren't.

If AmEx didn't think anything was up when someone was getting three fillups and buying toilet paper at WalMart 500 miles away from me while I was buying gum with the same card, I really don't think they give a four-letter word if you're using your card to buy a Happy Meal.

Spying via binoculars, is so last decade. I hear that now AmEx has Ninjas plant cameras in your A/C vents; and audio bugs discretely hidden in your pet's collar. 

Buying gum may lead to your F/R being delayed. You didn't get the memo? I hear the Ninjas like to chew gum, when they aren't on the clock. 

Edit: typo.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 7 of 31
FloridaState12
Established Contributor

I believe my first charge on my Zync was at Chick-fil-A....and the thing I probably buy most with it is food items, whether it be fast food, sit down restaurants, late-night runs to Walgreens for candy, etc. Smiley Very Happy

And I work at a discount store...people use AMEX all the time. I don't think where you use your card really had anything to do with the FR process, but that's just my opinion. I would imagine it's more focused on your overall spending habits rather than "OMG he eats at Taco Bell! FR! FR! FR!" 

Photobucket
Message 8 of 31
sandsanta
Contributor

For reference:

A letter sent to Gilleland by American Express, one of the nation’s largest credit-card issuers, includes these reasons why the spending limit on his Platinum Card was reduced:

• “Our credit experience with customers who have made purchases at establishments where you have recently used your card.”
  • “Our analysis of the credit risk associated with customers who have residential loans from the creditor(s) indicated in your credit report.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27055285/ns/business-stocks_and_economy/t/amex-rates-credit-risk-where-y...

Message 9 of 31
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Amex has a proprietary method of scoring risk and is a fan of first purchase modeling. It's really not worth being paranoid about, though.

I think it's more or less a fear about one's perceived credit status being taken away.

Personally, Amex meant a lot more when all they offered were charge cards. 

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 31
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.