Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weeded thru my cards

tag
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

Weeded thru my cards

Since I have been home as much as I do now I have gotten to go thru my cards and cleaned some out, right:

Cards that I'm using:

Chase Freedom - 10.5k I have has this since 2015 and Chase has been very good to me also good rewards redemption you can redeem very little of money in your account wich is a plus.

Amazon (Chase) - 9k I have had since 2016 and I buy all the time from amazon and 5% is perfect and you can redeem at a very little points as well, my first name should me amazon.

PNC Cash (New) - 12k I have gotten this in 2020, I gotten this card for my medical bills and prescription I also have a cheque account with them ad that is for medical.

Carecredit - 5k I have since 2012, it's carecredit and I use it for medical bills if they take it also I put a little on it every so often to keep it activate.

Apple (Barclays) - 25k I have had since 2016 I buy Apple all the time and the rewards + financing offers at the same time most cards it one or the other not both.

AMEX Cash Magnet - 5k I have had since 2017 been with AMEX since 2011, the rewards are good but as other banks have 1.5% cash back too it's nothing spechel at all but will keep it.

SunTrust Cash (New) - 12.5k I have had since 2020 and I got it because SunTrust told me that Walmart is a "grocery store" to them and 5% for the first year and then 3% plus redemption starts at $5.

BB&T Cash (New) - 12k I had had this card since 2020 I got this card before SunTrust and BB&T to to Truist it's an good card to have. P.S it was a SP as of 01 Mar 2020.

HSBC Cash (New) - 2.7k I had this since 2020 it had good rewards 3% for the first year then to 1.5% nothing special.

PenFed Power Cash (New) - 15k I had since 2020 2% back on everything and it's on going and you can redeem cash back at a low amount.

Alliant FCU - 1k I have had since 2020 nothing special no rewards and it was like pulling teeth to get approved denied approved denied but took the one 1k just to get started. They said low credit score but I know it's 795 TU and no new account at the time for two years but got the lowest APR

Williams Sonoma Visa - 12k I had this since 2018 I like the store for my coffee and to look around very pricey but $25 for my birthday each year makes the card worth it to have the card.

Cards that I'm not using:

Citi Double Cash - 12.5k I have had since 2015, it's a good card but to pay the card is a mess or the web siite does not work right

Citi Dividend - 2.2k I have had since 2016, to active the 5% each quarter does not work online and I have to call ad same as the other Citi card.

Sears MC - 15k I have since 2017 I get reward offer all the time and I activate them and never get the bonus they say I'm to get even if I meet what I have to spend I have given up on the card. P.S its Citi TY Points.

BOA Amtrak - 10k I have since 2016 and the rewards are noting too good only can use on Amtrak and with everything going on right now...

Discover Miles - 29k I have had since 2015 it's a good card I don't use it that much don't know why. LOL

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Weeded thru my cards

@Cory88 wrote:

Discover Miles - 29k I have had since 2015 it's a good card I don't use it that much don't know why. LOL

Well, after the first  year it's just a 1.5% card with (perhaps slightly) less acceptance than a Visa/MC.   So no need to use it!

I am surprised at your problem with activating Citi Dividend, works fine for me on line

Message 2 of 11
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Cory88 wrote:

Well, after the first  year it's just a 1.5% card with (perhaps slightly) less acceptance than a Visa/MC.   So no need to use it!

I am surprised at your problem with activating Citi Dividend, works fine for me on line

Nothing is easy for me with anything I do. LOL.

Message 3 of 11
credit_is_crack
Valued Contributor

@Cory88 

It's always good to finally get a little time to review the portfolio. So for the ones you're not using, are you closing them out or just putting them aside in a more formal fashion?

I recently did the same review with my deck and still noodling on closing them. I've already dubbed a few that are no AF and I'm just going to let them ride out until the banks close them for non-use, but a few others I may just close out so I can compact everything

Message 4 of 11
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@credit_is_crack wrote:

@Cory88 

It's always good to finally get a little time to review the portfolio. So for the ones you're not using, are you closing them out or just putting them aside in a more formal fashion?

I recently did the same review with my deck and still noodling on closing them. I've already dubbed a few that are no AF and I'm just going to let them ride out until the banks close them for non-use, but a few others I may just close out so I can compact everything

No, I don't plan on closing them just use every so often to keep it going.

Message 5 of 11
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Since all of the problem ones appear to be Citi (Double Cash, Dividend, Sears), have you considered creating a new profile and adding your cards to the new one to see if that fixes the bugs?  Citi support may be needed to help with that.

There seems to be an issue with your actual Citi online account, which would explain not getting the offers credited for Sears when you opt in.  FWIW I've been taking advantage of Citi targeted offers for almost 4 years and have never had an issue with them delivering, although it would be nice if the offers were actually reflected on your account since you can't see progress and won't see the rewards until after statement close.

Message 6 of 11
NRB525
Super Contributor

Maybe PC the Discover Miles over to a Discover it? That gets you the 5% quarters at least. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 7 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I created a Google sheet to track my cards.

Columns A, B  and C are Card Name, Net Annual Fee and Non-Category earn rate.

Columns D-AA show the earn rates across 24 different categories listed below.

Net fee is the card's annual fee less the value of all perks.  For example, if I have a Hyatt card with a free night certificate for rooms up to 15,000 points and I assume the Hyatt point value is 1.7 cents, then that free room is worth $255 and the net fee is $95 minus $255 or -$160.

Personally, I assigned full value annually to airline incidental credits, resort credits, food credits, shopping credits, Uber credits.  I caluclated free night value based on point limits and point values.  And I assume checked bag value was $60 per year.

I assigned $0 value to TSA/Global entry, priority pass, cell/travel insurance, priority boarding, discounted in-flight purchases, fine hotel gifts/discounts, hotel status perks, fifth night free perks, and all other random perks.

I sorted the cards by net fee, with the highest numbers at the bottom.  These are the cards that are on my "cull list" to weed out.  Cards that have negative fees, no fees or very small net fees are safe as long as they provide a decent earn rate for non-category spending or in at least one of the 24 categories.

Here are the categories.  The starred categories have not been optimized, and are essentially non-category spend right now for me.  But there are cards I am considering in the future that would optimize these categories.

Categories

Restaurant

Grocery

Gas

Online Shopping

Gym

Drug Stores

Warehouse Clubs

Utilities

Flights 

Hotels

OTA

Car Rental

Transit

Cruise Lines*

Other travel*

Department Stores*

Sporting Goods*

Entertainment*

Cable/Satellite*

Streaming*

Telecom*

Shipping*

Office Supplies*

Home Improvement/Furnishings*

Message 8 of 11
Cory88
Frequent Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Since all of the problem ones appear to be Citi (Double Cash, Dividend, Sears), have you considered creating a new profile and adding your cards to the new one to see if that fixes the bugs?  Citi support may be needed to help with that.

There seems to be an issue with your actual Citi online account, which would explain not getting the offers credited for Sears when you opt in.  FWIW I've been taking advantage of Citi targeted offers for almost 4 years and have never had an issue with them delivering, although it would be nice if the offers were actually reflected on your account since you can't see progress and won't see the rewards until after statement close.

I have tried with main Citi but it did not work. I don't care too much about the two cards as I have the PenFed 2% card and the Chase Freedom card. I have talked to Citi TY and had reps almost to the point yell at me and doing anything with Citi has never been easy I have done business with Citi since 2006 and it's always been the same hard to work with.

Message 9 of 11
Red1Blue
Super Contributor

Sears are they still in Business ?

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.