Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Apple Card quirk

tag
Grizzly1
Contributor

Weird Apple Card quirk

So I'm sitting on a $750 credit limit with the GS Apple card and I ran it up to about $664 before making a $400 payment before closing then a few days ago paid it down to $151.41. Both those payments cleared and I haven't used the card since Monday (9/30) so every purchase has long since cleared yet looking at the app it shows a total balance of $151.41 with $82.76 available. It showed the same $82.76 available when the initial $400 was paid and cleared. Has anyone else noticed their available balance not budging after closing?

8/2019: EQ 617, TU 578, EX 628
9/2021: EQ 684, TU 662, EX 671
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
jbestman007
Contributor

Re: Weird Apple Card quirk

@Grizzly1 wrote:

So I'm sitting on a $750 credit limit with the GS Apple card and I ran it up to about $664 before making a $400 payment before closing then a few days ago paid it down to $151.41. Both those payments cleared and I haven't used the card since Monday (9/30) so every purchase has long since cleared yet looking at the app it shows a total balance of $151.41 with $82.76 available. It showed the same $82.76 available when the initial $400 was paid and cleared. Has anyone else noticed their available balance not budging after closing?

Not unusual. And definitely not limited to GS or Apple. I have had a few of my cards do the same thing with the first payment. After that, it settles in and you get your available credit as soon as payments post. Look at it as getting to know one another. 

Message 2 of 16
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

In my exerience over the last two months is that payments made directly from your bank account don't reset available funds for up to four business days. I've started moving money to my Apple Cash account and then paying the card off using Apple Cash. This method returns the avaiable credit immediately.

The other advantage to this strategy is that I can have visibility of the transactions in Mint (which can't sync Apple Card data) because I can transfer the purchase amount into Apple Cash and record the transaction in Mint as Groceries, Gas, etc. 

1/1/16 FICO8 Scores: EX: 407, EQ: 403, TU: 455
4/1/24 FICO8 Scores: EX: 832, EQ: 820, TU: 834
FICO9 EX: 818
Total Revolving Limits: $152,300

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first payment took awhile to post but my second updated my available credit immediately. I imagine it's a restriction that they lift after some amount of time that varies based on perceived risk?

Message 4 of 16
RSX
Valued Contributor

Or it could be bank related- some may be slower to release.  

every payment I have paid immediately reflects in the balance available. Similar to Citi

i use Wells to pay it

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RSX wrote:

Or it could be bank related- some may be slower to release.  

every payment I have paid immediately reflects in the balance available. Similar to Citi

i use Wells to pay it

ACH never clears immediately so that's not it. 

Message 6 of 16
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

I use wells, too, and three payments over the first 45 days all took an egregious amount of time to reset. The payment had cleared my account in 48 hours, so the other two days felt off.

I've seen a lot of people with this exact issue on the Apple Card sub-Reddit, but an equal number of people without it. It seems to be equal, but random.

Message 7 of 16
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

I'd say it's a small minority that have seen that issue here. But it happens often enough that it isn't a surprise when someone else reports it.

I have zero patience when cards don't restore my available credit, and I'm concerned that we're seeing this happening on Apple Card as often as we have. It's too bad as Apple and Goldman Sachs have done a great job in addressing other common card annoyances, such as worthless prequals and resetting one's grace period after paying interest.

Message 8 of 16
Kforce
Valued Contributor

@MasonK wrote:

I've seen a lot of people with this exact issue on the Apple Card sub-Reddit, but an equal number of people without it. It seems to be equal, but random.

They are checking to see if you own any Windows computers first !  Smiley LOL

Message 9 of 16
MasonK
Frequent Contributor

I'll cut them a little slack in Year One since this is new territory for both of them. It's also easy for me to say because I have a CL with Apple that exceeds three month's total spend and I don't need my limit restored immediately. If I had a <$1k line and it was my only card that would be a problem.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.