Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Barclays Chargeback Investigation Request

tag
sosabe77
Contributor

Weird Barclays Chargeback Investigation Request

I have a current chargeback dispute pending with Barclays.  Long story short, I ordered some software from a shady company in Germany.  The software didn't work.  I've read plenty of reviews afterwards that all had the same problem I had.  I contacted them for technical support.  After 5 days, I still hadn't received a reply.  I requested a refund.  They finally replied and wanted to run me through a battery of techincal diagnostic tests first to see if they could solve the problem.  They couldn't.  At one point, I even got an e-mail from the  president of the company saying that I never sent in any technical support requests.  Huh?  So after getting the runaround, I requested a refund again.  They denied the request.

I contacted Barclays to dispute the transaction.  I sent in all supporting documentation like my e-mail exchanges, copy of the software log files with errors listed, etc.  They initiate the dispute.  I get a call from them 30 days later.  They want me to send in a letter from ANOTHER merchant that verifies that what the previous merchant has provided is inadequate or faulty.  So basically they want me to contact some merchant who has nothing to do with the original merchant to take a look at the software and the installation on my computer and confirm everything that I claim.  

1.) Why would any other merchant get involved in a dispute that has nothing to do with them?

2.) Why would any other merchant get involved without charging me some sort of fee? (probably more than the original cost of the software)

Does anyone else find this strange?

Top 3: Amex BCP 25k - Chase Sapphire 17.5k - PSECU 20K

Starting Score: 714
Current Score: 759
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
CreditHammer

Re: Weird Barclays Chargeback Investigation Request

@sosabe77 wrote:

I have a current chargeback dispute pending with Barclays.  Long story short, I ordered some software from a shady company in Germany.  The software didn't work.  I've read plenty of reviews afterwards that all had the same problem I had.  I contacted them for technical support.  After 5 days, I still hadn't received a reply.  I requested a refund.  They finally replied and wanted to run me through a battery of techincal diagnostic tests first to see if they could solve the problem.  They couldn't.  At one point, I even got an e-mail from the  president of the company saying that I never sent in any technical support requests.  Huh?  So after getting the runaround, I requested a refund again.  They denied the request.

I contacted Barclays to dispute the transaction.  I sent in all supporting documentation like my e-mail exchanges, copy of the software log files with errors listed, etc.  They initiate the dispute.  I get a call from them 30 days later.  They want me to send in a letter from ANOTHER merchant that verifies that what the previous merchant has provided is inadequate or faulty.  So basically they want me to contact some merchant who has nothing to do with the original merchant to take a look at the software and the installation on my computer and confirm everything that I claim.  

1.) Why would any other merchant get involved in a dispute that has nothing to do with them?

2.) Why would any other merchant get involved without charging me some sort of fee? (probably more than the original cost of the software)

They're assuming you purchased the software because you wanted/needed it.. So since the software you received doesn’t work they also assume you went elsewhere and purchased a working version.. They are asking that whoever you purchased a new/working version from that they say "yes, the software he received is faulty"..

Message 2 of 15
john398
Senior Contributor

Just curious how much money are we talking about here?

Message 3 of 15
sosabe77
Contributor

@CreditHammer wrote:

@sosabe77 wrote:

They're assuming you purchased the software because you wanted/needed it.. So since the software you received doesn’t work they also assume you went elsewhere and purchased a working version.. They are asking that whoever you purchased a new/working version from that they say "yes, the software he received is faulty"..

That's a lot of (incorrect) assumptions!

Message 4 of 15
sosabe77
Contributor

@john398 wrote:

Just curious how much money are we talking about here?

$99 for the software.  I'm sure if I have to bring in another "merchant" to look at it, they will charge me something near or greater than that for the labor.

Message 5 of 15
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 15
mxp114
Valued Contributor

At $99, especially if you have no other disputes, they should write it off and call it a day.

Message 7 of 15
enharu
Super Contributor

It's really weird. You should try calling Barclays again and talk to a different rep. Maybe it's just confusing because its a software and generally software isn't refundable anywhere regardless of where you buy it.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 8 of 15
sosabe77
Contributor

@guiness56 wrote:

Who is requesting this, the CCC or the merchant you bought it from?

Barclays, the CCC.

Message 9 of 15
sosabe77
Contributor

@enharu wrote:
It's really weird. You should try calling Barclays again and talk to a different rep. Maybe it's just confusing because its a software and generally software isn't refundable anywhere regardless of where you buy it.

I asked to be transferred to a supervisor, and he got on the phone and pretty much reiteritated that this is part of their dispute process for this particular type of merchant.  He said they do this because "they are not experts" (his exact words), so they need something in official letterhead from a reputable company in the same or related field that backs my claim.

On another forum, someone said that they ordered a tablet from a deal site using a Barclays card.  The item was delivered in a condition way less than described in the item listing.  They disputed with Barclays, sent in pics, documentation, etc.  Barclays still wanted them to get another merchant to back their claim.  They had to go pay a local computer shop to look at it and verify their claims.  They ultimately won the dispute this way, but they had to put out a little more money.

All in all, I will probably just take this as a $99 lesson not to use the Barclays card again.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.