Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Gas Refund?

tag
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

Weird Gas Refund?

So, I use my discount tire/sychrony card to get gas once or twice a month, just to show some use. I usually stop at name brand gas stations & avoid mom & pop type locations because they usually don't take the card. I stopped at an Exxon this morning, for the first time, to get some gas. I always go inside and prepay because the card has never worked at the pump. Since there's always extra money leftover from the transaction, I went inside to get my receipt that showed exactly how much I had pumped. Instead of crediting the leftover amount back to the card however, the cashier gave me cash back. I have never had this happen before. I'm assuming since the Exxon just billed the original transaction and didn't process the refund on the card, the card issuer has no way to know I got cash back by using the card? (This is a sneaky way to get cash!) Has anyone else had this happen?

I'm actually annoyed at the cash because now I'm going to have to stop at my credit union and deposit it - I'd rather they credited it back to the card. If this has happened to you, is there a way to get them to put it back on the card next time? Thanks!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Weird Gas Refund?

Sounds like the attendant just didn't know better.  The only way to have it credited back would be to return to that station, give them the cash back and have them do a credit to your payment card.

Message 2 of 20
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@K-In-Boston - Thank you for your reply! I didn't think the transaction was normal but I wasn't sure. Returning to the gas station isn't going to happen in the next few days, so I'll just deposit the money and add it to my card payment next month.

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 3 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I do this many times or at least it happens to me when i use a cc at gas station but the car gets filled. I just go in and they give back what didnt fill up. A nice little trick if you need a couple bucks lol.

Sorry if that bothered you. No need to give it to a credit union, ill gladly fly up take it of your hands and....STAY THERE! Smiley Wink
Message 4 of 20
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@AJC - I was just really surprised, as it's never happened before! We got room the couch, FYI!

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 5 of 20
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Lol, yeah, not sure if it worked different up there but a good lesson learnedSmiley Happy
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I get $10,000 on pump 1?
Message 7 of 20
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@Trout - Hahahahahahaha...

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 8 of 20
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Can I get $10,000 on pump 1?

If only... I'd do that daily on my Starwood card!

Message 9 of 20
Kforce
Valued Contributor

One mans trash is another mans treasure.

Get the cashback or discount for more than the item and

get cash without a cash advance fee = win / win.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.