cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Well, got my first denial. And it sucks...

tag
Bman70
Established Contributor

Re: Well, got my first denial. And it sucks...

@fungoman wrote:

@Bman70 wrote:

3 cards opened in the last 2 years is fewer than usually results in denial. However, as we've seen, the new policy seems discretionary to some extent, taking into account more of the profile than just cards opened. Cards closed factor in. Who knows what else. To me, OP fits the "target profile" because he has near 20 cards, and high available open credit not being utilized. Chase might think "churner" just because the amount of cards is so much greater than national average (around 3).

Go read my previous post. I think the OP is missing a few cards. 5 cards and a mortgage for 6 new accounts in 18 months can be identified in their profile history. That should fall in line with the "new policy".

Yep that would trigger the denial for sure. So often we get these slightly "modified" versions of people's file - whether honestly forgetting or just trying to present a better picture. But we can't always assume that's all there is to the profile.

EX 822
TU 834
EQ 820

Message 41 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

OP, sorry to hear about the denial. I know you want to move your money from Chase to another bank.  But keep in mind they (the banks) are a cesspool of crooks.. All they care about is the bottom line.

I am sure if you give it some time and apply again, you may just get approved.

Message 42 of 127
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

Bet if OP went for co-branded card be an approval.. w/income and those scores..  Really only has about his income as CL's from her profile so nothing compared to alot of people on this forum..  Granted the OP probably choose the freedom for whatever reason maybe to be paired with the CSP she already has.  I still would be calling the EO or senior analyst as they took the hit on a HP or two already and show my displeasure..Whather that changes anything or not probably not w/regards to that card.. maybe they could use that pull for a co-branded card so it wasnt a wasted pull.

Message 43 of 127
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

OP, sorry to hear about the denial. I know you want to move your money from Chase to another bank.  But keep in mind they (the banks) are a cesspool of crooks.. All they care about is the bottom line.

I am sure if you give it some time and apply again, you may just get approved.

Couldn't agree more with bolded.. Wonder why they are always fined, look no further.

Message 44 of 127
LuckyBird
Regular Contributor

@Blongtimelurker wrote:

@LuckyBird wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Kb109 wrote:

4 in the last two years, which includes my mortgage. So three credit cards and one mortgage in two years. Freaking insane. I'm closing my Chase checking account and moving it over to my credit union where I keep my savings account. If this is how they want to treat a long-time loyal customer, I will take my money elsewhere. I'll keep my CSP and Ink open for the benefit of my average age of accounts.

Moving the checking may well be a good move, but you are taking this way too personally.   It's just an automatic risk evaluation algorithm, and not a judgement on your goodness as a person.

And, my pet peeve, you aren't apparently a "loyal" customer, merely a long-standing one.   Loyal customers stick by their companies even when being screwed!

I have to disagree.  I'm with the OP on this one. 

Loyal customers stick by their companies UNTIL they get screwed.  And then, all bets are off. 

If they're not going to consider and give some weight to your loyalty up to that point when making new credit decisions, why should they continue to benefit from it afterwards?  There should be room for underwriting exceptions in cases like this.  I'd take my money and credit card business elsewhere, too.

OK, consider "loyalty" to a country, "My country right or wrong" type stuff.   IME, (self-proclaimed) loyal customers are those for whom the relationship is (mutually) beneficial, so I use credit card X, or shop at store Y, or use cell provider Z because the rewards suit my needs, the price/ selection is good, the service coverage in my area is strong etc.

To me, "loyal" suggests that someone has made an *extra* committment, more than simple self-interest.  So in the normal case, the customer has been benefitting as much as the company, so no extra claims to "loyalty" are really justified, the company just needs to consider the cost of losing this customer which may or may not be less than the cost of losing a new one

But hey, this is a CC forum and not a semantics one.  That said, I am of course right.

Loyalty doesn't necessarily have to involve an "extra" commitment.  Loyalty in this case means that he's given them spend which could have, just as easily, gone to another CCC.  OP benefits from earning rewards but Chase benefits as well, both through swipe fees and/or annual fees, and from his money on deposit.  So yes, it's true that it's been a mutually beneficial relationship.

Yes, they are entitled to implement any policy they see fit.  But I think it's pretty short-sighted and narrow-minded of them to treat existing customers with a lengthy history with them exactly the same way as new customers. 

They're basically saying, "Well yeah, you've been a good customer for a long time, you've made us money, you've played by our rules, you've shown no indicaton thus far of being a risk...but in spite of all that we're not interested in expanding our relationship with you, sorry..."   And if I were in OP's shoes, I'd be ticked about it, too.  I think he's perfectly justified.

I am of course right.  Smiley Wink

Chase Sapphire Reserve $30,000 | Amex BCP $30,000 | Discover It $30,000 | Citi Simp $16,500 | NFCU Cash Rewards $14,400 | Citi DC $9,800 | Chase Freedom $9,000 | VS $4,100 | Kohl's $3,000 | Loft $3,000

EQ 823 ~ TU 817 ~ EXP 808 | ITG since 8/24/2016
Message 45 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sorry to hear.  They did the same to me with the CSP.  We have to wait out the 2 yrs.  Smiley Sad  And yes!  It sure does suck!  I think it should go on an individual basis.  Btw, your score if fantastic!  

Message 46 of 127
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@LuckyBird wrote:

@Blongtimelurker wrote:

@LuckyBird wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Kb109 wrote:

4 in the last two years, which includes my mortgage. So three credit cards and one mortgage in two years. Freaking insane. I'm closing my Chase checking account and moving it over to my credit union where I keep my savings account. If this is how they want to treat a long-time loyal customer, I will take my money elsewhere. I'll keep my CSP and Ink open for the benefit of my average age of accounts.

Moving the checking may well be a good move, but you are taking this way too personally.   It's just an automatic risk evaluation algorithm, and not a judgement on your goodness as a person.

And, my pet peeve, you aren't apparently a "loyal" customer, merely a long-standing one.   Loyal customers stick by their companies even when being screwed!

Loyal customers stick by their companies UNTIL they get screwed.  And then, all bets are off. 

If they're not going to consider and give some weight to your loyalty up to that point when making new credit decisions, why should they continue to benefit from it afterwards?  There should be room for underwriting exceptions in cases like this.  I'd take my money and credit card business elsewhere, too.

OK, consider "loyalty" to a country, "My country right or wrong" type stuff.   IME, (self-proclaimed) loyal customers are those for whom the relationship is (mutually) beneficial, so I use credit card X, or shop at store Y, or use cell provider Z because the rewards suit my needs, the price/ selection is good, the service coverage in my area is strong etc.

To me, "loyal" suggests that someone has made an *extra* committment, more than simple self-interest.  So in the normal case, the customer has been benefitting as much as the company, so no extra claims to "loyalty" are really justified, the company just needs to consider the cost of losing this customer which may or may not be less than the cost of losing a new one

But hey, this is a CC forum and not a semantics one.  That said, I am of course right.

Loyalty doesn't necessarily have to involve an "extra" commitment.  Loyalty in this case means that he's given them spend which could have, just as easily, gone to another CCC.  OP benefits from earning rewards but Chase benefits as well, both through swipe fees and/or annual fees, and from his money on deposit.  So yes, it's true that it's been a mutually beneficial relationship.

Yes, they are entitled to implement any policy they see fit.  But I think it's pretty short-sighted and narrow-minded of them to treat existing customers with a lengthy history with them exactly the same way as new customers. 

They're basically saying, "Well yeah, you've been a good customer for a long time, you've made us money, you've played by our rules, you've shown no indicaton thus far of being a risk...but in spite of all that we're not interested in expanding our relationship with you, sorry..."   And if I were in OP's shoes, I'd be ticked about it, too.  I think he's perfectly justified.

I am of course right.  Smiley Wink

Except OP is female, so since you are wrong there the whole argument is clearly misguided!  

Not all customers are equal anyway.   Being with them a long time doesn't mean that Chase found the relationship particurlary profitable, and can evaluate it against their risk models.   Yes, she can be annoyed...

But as others pointed out, the new accounts claimed in the thread differ from the new accounts seen in the approval thread, so something is strange.....

Message 47 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

@LuckyBird wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Kb109 wrote:

I totally agree!  I was just getting ready to open a checking/savings with them and you know my money is not going in their bank now!

Message 48 of 127
Anonymous
Not applicable

Honestly, it's what Cap One did.  I've been loyal to them for over 10 yrs.  Nothing much in the way of cli's.  2 cards with small limits.  But I never gave up on them.  I'm not giving up on Chase.  Got my Freedom and only want the CSP.   Many OP's are right.  Taking it personal is not the way to go.  We're a grain of sand in their eyes.  Smiley Wink

Message 49 of 127
yfan
Valued Contributor

@LuckyBird wrote:

Loyalty doesn't necessarily have to involve an "extra" commitment.  Loyalty in this case means that he's given them spend which could have, just as easily, gone to another CCC.

But that's just it. Could the spend really have gone to another card "just as easily?" I doubt it very much. The specific card the OP mentioned that she put her spend on, the CSP, offers a range of benefits and rewards. I haven't seen the OP claim that another card had a combination of rewards and benefits just as valuable for OP's spend and needs and they chose to shun those others in favor of the CSP. From what I can tell, the OP put her spends where she did because that's what was most beneficial for her - which is to say that the spend in fact could have gone somewhere else, but perhaps not quite as easily.

The app the OP was denied was the Freedom. Given she has claimed high usage of the CSP and an application for the Freedom, I am willing to take an educated guess that at least one primary reason for applying for the Freedom was so that OP could transfer Freedom's points to CSP, turning them into UR points, which are likely highly valuable to OP. If I am right - and perhaps OP can confirm - then it's yet another indication that OP's spend couldn't have gone elsewhere with equal ease.

Message 50 of 127
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.