Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Active Cash/Reflect

tag
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Wells Fargo Active Cash/Reflect

Opening up a checking account with WF to appease the wife-to-be and also so I can have access to our joint account when that time comes...does anyone have any feedback with these cards? From what I remember, I've always heard WF is pretty generous with starting limits and im hoping having an account with them will help my chances (as it did with Peoples Bank). I've been rebuilding my credit to where I am finally approaching 700, but i'm still stuck with a few smaller limit cards and would really like to expand my profile with some higher limits. 

I'm wondering if I'm better off staying put for now or looking in a different direction for a CC. 

Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Active Cash/Reflect

@jonblaze24 wrote:

Opening up a checking account with WF to appease the wife-to-be and also so I can have access to our joint account when that time comes...does anyone have any feedback with these cards? From what I remember, I've always heard WF is pretty generous with starting limits and im hoping having an account with them will help my chances (as it did with Peoples Bank). I've been rebuilding my credit to where I am finally approaching 700, but i'm still stuck with a few smaller limit cards and would really like to expand my profile with some higher limits. 

I'm wondering if I'm better off staying put for now or looking in a different direction for a CC. 

Ive never heard of WF being generous with starting limits. Some people have been getting bigger limits with this new 2% cc but its not normal from all of what ive read here these last 5 years. . Im guessing the stronger your income, the possibilty if a higher sl exists but you won't know until you apply how they view your profile. 

Message 2 of 34
jonblaze24
New Contributor

Could just be particular circumstances. Had 2 buddies get starting limits of $15k+ with very low salary and very limited credit a few years back

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@jonblaze24 wrote:

Ive never heard of WF being generous with starting limits. Some people have been getting bigger limits with this new 2% cc but its not normal from all of what ive read here these last 5 years. . Im guessing the stronger your income, the possibilty if a higher sl exists but you won't know until you apply how they view your profile. 

....so I guess I always thought WF was generous. 

Message 3 of 34
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

@jonblaze24 wrote:

Could just be particular circumstances. Had 2 buddies get starting limits of $15k+ with very low salary and very limited credit a few years back

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

@jonblaze24 wrote:

....so I guess I always thought WF was generous. 

Thats pretty good. I think maybe could be related to if someone doesnt have alot of credit with other lenders maybe they want to be your main? Imo id app anyway, you might get pleasantly suprisedSmiley Wink

Message 4 of 34
Phana24
Regular Contributor

@jonblaze24 wrote:

I was rejected by WF for the equiv to the Active Cash a while ago when I was at 710 or so, but had zero history with them.  I tried again at 750 and they gave me 8K to start.  Search the credit card forum, I'm sure there's some more specific data points available.  My guess, and I emphasize guess is that you'll have more success with a BT card than a CB.  Once I hit 720, I got several offers for BT cards, it wasn't until 740 for a few months that the CB offers came along.  Ironically, WF continues to send me offers for the card I have,

Message 5 of 34
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

@jonblaze24 wrote:

I did the same exact thing - opened up a joint checking account with GF after buying a house so that we will have a joint mortgage account to pay from.

We both apped for 2 WF products after a week:

PLOC: $10K at 10.9% for 60 months

Reflect BT CC: $14K + $8K (separate apps) - my post: https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Wells-Fargo-Reflect-14K-8K-SL-2-new-cards-w-j... 

For a major bank, they are rather conservative after an in person visit to one of their bankers.

The web and mobile experience has been less than stellar for a major bank - filed a complaint with their executive office.

OTOH

If I had to re-do the joint account, I would have opted for a local CU which treated me better at the end.

My CU for over 20 years has been more responsive, more generous, lower rates and much better web/mobile interface.

Message 6 of 34
biff-henderson
Contributor

I think your on the right track to have a relationship beforehand.  I was repeatedly turned down for cc by WF in the past. Did an app in Jan 20, was immediatly rejected. FICO was hovering around 670, util @60% (of $5K) on my only card. Couldn't help it, was financing grad classes on it and my paycheck.

Fast forward to summer and WF are sending me an invite for Active Cash every 3 weeks. FICO 705 with a CO (paid off), late payments on SL, and 6 HPs. Income is just at $100K. Pulled the trigger in Dec and was approved for $8K, 15mo 0%, 24% afterwards. Then they immediatly started with the colorful Reflex envelopes, which I'll take a hard pass on. Holding out for the opportunity to app for a travel card when it comes out. HTH.

B.

Message 7 of 34
jonblaze24
New Contributor

@biff-henderson wrote:

I think your on the right track to have a relationship beforehand.  I was repeatedly turned down for cc by WF in the past. Did an app in Jan 20, was immediatly rejected. FICO was hovering around 670, util @Anonymous% (of $5K) on my only card. Couldn't help it, was financing grad classes on it and my paycheck.

Fast forward to summer and WF are sending me an invite for Active Cash every 3 weeks. FICO 705 with a CO (paid off), late payments on SL, and 6 HPs. Income is just at $100K. Pulled the trigger in Dec and was approved for $8K, 15mo 0%, 24% afterwards. Then they immediatly started with the colorful Reflex envelopes, which I'll take a hard pass on. Holding out for the opportunity to app for a travel card when it comes out. HTH.

B.

Appreciate your feedback. I was always under the impression that if you have an existing relationship with the institution it would help your chances, even in the slightest. A few years back I didn't have a single card over a 3K limit and I decided to take a shot at Elan's Peoples Financial MC, score was around 675....boom immediate 9K with 18m 0%. I was shocked, but in my head i assumed it was because I've banked with Peoples forever. 

Hopefully I have the same luck this time around. I know people have had their bad experiences with WF but people in my circle who have them love them. 

Message 8 of 34
biff-henderson
Contributor

Oh, don't get me wrong, I've moved almost all of my banking away from them. Only my direct deposit is still with them. I suspect the fact that they can see my income gets factored into the underwrinting (?).

I decided that if things went south the the AC app, I would pull the plug. But apparently whoever is at the helm know seems to be serious abut changing attutudes and attracting customers. WF bought my previous (and 4 previous before them) bank, and decided not to grandfather my account, so the occasional fee charge was irksome to me. 

Good luck tho.

B.

Message 9 of 34
LADave
Established Contributor

Active Cash is a pretty good card, and my starting CL was $4,500. For context, the highest CL I had received up to that point when I applied in 10/2021 was $2,000. I don't have a record of it, but I believe my FICO 8 scores were hovering at just under 700.

I did have a long-term banking relationship with WF, which I'm sure helped.

I'm not thrilled that the cash back only happens in increments of $25, but it eventually adds up when used enough.

The 15-month 0% APR promotion has also come in very handy for balance transfers and managing payments on a couple of larger-investment purchases. And of course, the $200 bonus was also very much appreciated.

So overall, I'm happy with it.

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.