cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Cards w/o prior relationship?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo Cards w/o prior relationship?

I'm interested in getting a Wells Fargo credit card, mainly for their free cell phone insurance. However, I tried applying in the past and was auto-denied solely for lack of existing relationship.

I'm really not interested in opening a Wells Fargo checking/savings account since they're all kinda sucky, but their website suggests that those without prior relationships should apply through the branch. I was wondering if I could bypass the prior relationship requirement for their cards by applying through a branch instead?

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Cards w/o prior relationship?

I think you need an account with them to be considered for any CC from them. I could be wrong.
BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 2 of 15
UncleB
Credit Mentor

I have a checking account with Wells, and my understanding is that without a 'relationship' you have to apply in a branch.  To apply online, you have to log on to your account and apply from there (with most information pre-filled for you).

I might be wrong as well, but I think that if you physically go to a branch that having a "prior relationship" isn't required.  I'll be honest, though, their credit cards aren't that attractive, and unless you already have other Wells accounts, you can likely do better elsewhere (IMHO).

(A quick call to any branch or their main CSR number will answer your question definitively)

Message 3 of 15
ScoreOrBeScored
Valued Contributor

Don't waste your time with WF. Waste of a HP. They really do suck . That's why you don't see many threads posted about them unless you have a clean thick file

then you may get a good SL. 

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

WF cards suck. With and without a relationship with them. 

I've been banking with them for almost 10 years and they always send me pre-approval offers they when I applied twice I was denied both times (even for a college card when I was approved by other cc companies). They're really strange with the approvals. 

My friend has a horrible banking relationship with them and managed to get a card...it's strange.

Message 5 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Banking relationship isn't required, but it is weighed heavier with WF than other banks. The Propel cards have decent bonuses but aren't long term cards. I was able to reallocate my Propel limit to a Cash Rewards Visa relatively easy.
Message 6 of 15
Ron1
Super Contributor

I got denied without banking relationship a year ago. I opened a few store cards issued by WF. I established a good history. Last year, I also got approved for Propel 365 Amex. I used it a year. I applied for WF Caah Back Visa and got approved for $3K two months ago. I got approved for WF Business for $8K.  I was shocked. I got approved with 40+INQs. I think they did count the banking relationship. I don't have any Checking and Savings.  They act pretty much like a credit union. Hopefully, it helps. 

The credit cards rewards is just average. I like the looks of the card.

Ron.

Message 7 of 15
Ron1
Super Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

I have a checking account with Wells, and my understanding is that without a 'relationship' you have to apply in a branch.  To apply online, you have to log on to your account and apply from there (with most information pre-filled for you).

I might be wrong as well, but I think that if you physically go to a branch that having a "prior relationship" isn't required.  I'll be honest, though, their credit cards aren't that attractive, and unless you already have other Wells accounts, you can likely do better elsewhere (IMHO).

(A quick call to any branch or their main CSR number will answer your question definitively)

You don't need to have a checking or saving. You need a WF store card to start the relationship. 

Ron.

Message 8 of 15
toi34
Established Contributor

@Ron1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

You don't need to have a checking or saving. You need a WF store card to start the relationship. 

Ron.

Ron is on to something here. I have a Dillard's card initally issued by Synchrony/GE, then Wells Fargo acquired it a few months ago. Last week I was on the phone setting-up a new Wells Fargo checking account and during verification the woman started asking me questions about "last transactions' and "last payment amounts" on my Dillard's card! I was shocked...I had no idea an 800-XXX CSR would have access to information pertaining to my store card??!!

Message 9 of 15
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

Unless it's changed you don't need the store card first. I was approved for Propel World before I got any of their store cards.
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.