cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Cards w/o prior relationship?

tag
Ron1
Super Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo Cards w/o prior relationship?

@toi34 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I have a checking account with Wells, and my understanding is that without a 'relationship' you have to apply in a branch.  To apply online, you have to log on to your account and apply from there (with most information pre-filled for you).

I might be wrong as well, but I think that if you physically go to a branch that having a "prior relationship" isn't required.  I'll be honest, though, their credit cards aren't that attractive, and unless you already have other Wells accounts, you can likely do better elsewhere (IMHO).

(A quick call to any branch or their main CSR number will answer your question definitively)

You don't need to have a checking or saving. You need a WF store card to start the relationship. 

Ron.

Ron is on to something here. I have a Dillard's card initally issued by Synchrony/GE, then Wells Fargo acquired it a few months ago. Last week I was on the phone setting-up a new Wells Fargo checking account and during verification the woman started asking me questions about "last transactions' and "last payment amounts" on my Dillard's card! I was shocked...I had no idea an 800-XXX CSR would have access to information pertaining to my store card??!!

I am not surprise a bit. Dillards Amex shared your account history with the rest of WF bank according to the agreement. 

Ron.

@toi34 wrote:

@Ron1 wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

I have a checking account with Wells, and my understanding is that without a 'relationship' you have to apply in a branch.  To apply online, you have to log on to your account and apply from there (with most information pre-filled for you).

I might be wrong as well, but I think that if you physically go to a branch that having a "prior relationship" isn't required.  I'll be honest, though, their credit cards aren't that attractive, and unless you already have other Wells accounts, you can likely do better elsewhere (IMHO).

(A quick call to any branch or their main CSR number will answer your question definitively)

You don't need to have a checking or saving. You need a WF store card to start the relationship. 

Ron.

Ron is on to something here. I have a Dillard's card initally issued by Synchrony/GE, then Wells Fargo acquired it a few months ago. Last week I was on the phone setting-up a new Wells Fargo checking account and during verification the woman started asking me questions about "last transactions' and "last payment amounts" on my Dillard's card! I was shocked...I had no idea an 800-XXX CSR would have access to information pertaining to my store card??!!

Message 11 of 15
Ron1
Super Contributor

@B335is wrote:
Unless it's changed you don't need the store card first. I was approved for Propel World before I got any of their store cards.

Prople 365 Amex might not need banking realtionship with WF. It might be the special one like BBVA Compass Amex. WF Visa has a stricter requirement. It might need the banking relationship to qualify for the card. As you know, you need to use your account login ID to apply for the WF Visas. It is same as WF business Visa. It is easier to get approved when you have banking realtionship.  I got approved for both personal and business within 2 months with 40+ INQS on my EXP. I should have gotten denied if I didn't have any account with WF. I don't have any bank accounts.  They are strange when it comes to approval.

Ron.

Message 12 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't have any checking or savings accounts with them. I have had a car loan with them for over 3 years. A few months ago I received an invite for a pre-approved Visa card. I applied and was given a $4k limit. Not a great card / not bad either, but nothing I would strive for.

Message 13 of 15
Creditfan1234
Contributor

There are chances of you getting approved from WF with out a relationship. It might kick back for no relationship though. I use my WF for that $600 insurance on my cell phone and tablet with the $25 deductible. (yes, it does cover your tablet too) To me it is worth it. Good Luck.

Message 14 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I don't have any checking or savings accounts with them. I have had a car loan with them for over 3 years. A few months ago I received an invite for a pre-approved Visa card. I applied and was given a $4k limit. Not a great card / not bad either, but nothing I would strive for.

A car loan with them counts as a relationship with WF.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 15 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.