Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo College Card Product Change

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo College Card Product Change

Wanted to share in case it helps anyone else. I know how when I need answers I specifically search this forum for answers or to help me create expectation.

I opened a college cash back card with Wells Fargo in December 2014 with a SL of $800. At the time my income was like 15,000 annual at 18 at my job in fast food that I had been at for like a year and a half. Since then I used it later in 2016, maxed it out, continually utilized the line while paying it down, and then paid it off in 2018. I have called to request CLI a couple times putting me up to $1700. Then I had it on a recurring purchases cycle and PIF each month for like a year. I requested another CLI and that put me up to $3300. My income at this point (married, so mine and his income) is about 100,000 annual. I had better rewards cards so I switched everything off of it and didn't use it for about a year when I got the notification like last week that it has been automatically product changed to a Platinum Card. 

I thought I was forever doomed to have a college card with a limit that was topped off at $3,300... so for anyone else in that boat, it does happen... eventually. It only took approximately 6 years lol

my FICO 8 scores are looking about 680 across the board when they made this change. I have like 23? Credit cards total on my profile, 6 of them report balances each month, 3 are PIF each month (interest free financing with synchrony home, Best Buy, and CareCredit) 2 CLOC with NFCU, 2 mortgages, and 2 auto loans. 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Mv350
Valued Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo College Card Product Change

@Anonymous wrote:

Wanted to share in case it helps anyone else. I know how when I need answers I specifically search this forum for answers or to help me create expectation.

I opened a college cash back card with Wells Fargo in December 2014 with a SL of $800. At the time my income was like 15,000 annual at 18 at my job in fast food that I had been at for like a year and a half. Since then I used it later in 2016, maxed it out, continually utilized the line while paying it down, and then paid it off in 2018. I have called to request CLI a couple times putting me up to $1700. Then I had it on a recurring purchases cycle and PIF each month for like a year. I requested another CLI and that put me up to $3300. My income at this point (married, so mine and his income) is about 100,000 annual. I had better rewards cards so I switched everything off of it and didn't use it for about a year when I got the notification like last week that it has been automatically product changed to a Platinum Card. 

I thought I was forever doomed to have a college card with a limit that was topped off at $3,300... so for anyone else in that boat, it does happen... eventually. It only took approximately 6 years lol

my FICO 8 scores are looking about 680 across the board when they made this change. I have like 23? Credit cards total on my profile, 6 of them report balances each month, 3 are PIF each month (interest free financing with synchrony home, Best Buy, and CareCredit) 2 CLOC with NFCU, 2 mortgages, and 2 auto loans. 

Very nice! I still have my college card, which is about 15 months old. It doesn't have an annual fee so I leave it alone. My secured card took about 33 months to graduate. Wells Fargo is very slow moving when it comes to graduating cards. 

Way to go on the progress made so far!

Message 2 of 5
blindambition
Senior Contributor

Congrats on your PC!! 👍🏻 

Message 3 of 5
sjt
Senior Contributor

Congrats!

Did they close the old account and reissue a new card or did they just product change?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

Congrats!

Did they close the old account and reissue a new card or did they just product change?

The same account. They didn't even issue a different card. They had just renewed the account and sent a card so they said the old college card is now a platinum card, even though I don't actually possess a platinum card.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.