Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Product Change or Not....

tag
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Wells Fargo Product Change or Not....

For the past few years I've called WF once a year at the instruction of WF customer service to inquire if they've changed their policy regarding losing your original open date to be replaced by the "product change date".  I have a 15yr+ old WF Platinum card with a relatively high CL for which I seldom used because I've been able to PC all of my other cards to a rewards card.  Didn't want to lose the age on my WF card by PC'ing.  With the answer always "NO, our policy has not changed", last year I decided to apply for the CashWise card for which I was approved but for only 5K.  BTW I've experience no CLI increase over the past few years due to "limited use of card".  So I was a bit disappointed as I wanted another rewards card that had a high CL for some upcoming remodeling.  But I was not completely surprised by the low limit since I only use my cards to keep them open for the most part.

So the remodel I was planning started last month and used my USB rewards card for those purchases, to the limit nearly. Today I chose to accept WF balance transfer offer for 0% interest for 15 months, so I transferred my USB balance to my WF platinum.

To my surprise, as I explained why I never use this WF card I was informed I didn't have to do a PC or open a new rewards cards.  I could ask for a "deal" which would give me the choice to add a feature, one being.....rewards program.  Although it's only 1.5%, had the customer service people I spoke with over the years told me this I could have saved the hits I took to get the low limit CashWise which is also only 1.5% .  He stated it has always been that way and is not a promotion and doesn't expire.

I've been on many threads where we've all complained about the PC policy with WF.  So, here's the way around that for those with non-reward WF cards to get them into the rewards game.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Wells Fargo Product Change or Not....

Alternatively, you can allocate the CL from your CashWise to your Platinum if you wanted a higher CL since they can redistribute limits among CCs. So, if you wanted to keep the Platinum with the "deal" feature but no longer had much use for CashWise that's another option.

But, as far as WF PC policies go, those haven't changed in several years.
Message 2 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Yeah a WF PC = APP ANOTHER CARD LOLSmiley Wink 😠
Message 3 of 4
Trudy
Valued Contributor

Yeah, WF probably wont change.  But at least I can have the affect of a PC with the "deal/feature" of changing it without a technical product change and losing my age.  Hadn't heard about it here and clearly not by the prior CS reps.  I just wish someone would have told me.  

Thanks for the info regarding moving the CashWise CL.  I may move the 5K from the new WF card to the platinum card once I take the "deal" but that's not much.  Since my Platinum did in fact grow (when I was in major debt), at some point I suppose I can use the CashWise card and grow that.  

At this point in my credit journey,  I'm just trying to figure out how to work the system to grow my CL in the event I need it or want to use it since the system doesn't work with me in my effort to keep my debt low since I've worked to pay it off.  Really don't want to go back there for CL and hopefully not due to need.

FICO - 8: 05/05/23
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.