Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo Propel Experiences?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Wells Fargo Propel Experiences?

@galahad15 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Do you have other cards more suited (lower interest rate) for carrying balances? A rewards card is a terrible card to carry a balance on.

The $25 limitation on redemptions can be somewhat cancelled out by paying for purchases with points. 

Thanks for the heads-up on being able to cancel out the $25 redemption limitation requirements by paying for purchases with points, that is indeed quite helpful!  Smiley Happy

Regarding the question about having cards with lower interest rates that may be better-suited for carrying balances, I currently have 8 credit cards in my collection with go-to interest rates below 10%, so in pretty good shape at present in that regard (IME, 5 of the 8 cards below 10% are also rewards cards).

Generally, rewards cards are terrible cards to carry balances on. but if you have rewards cards below 10%, then you are good. My Savor cards is 8.65%. I don't carry any revolving balance cards.

Message 31 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nomad3 wrote:
Just noticed something about merchant coding on my posted transactions.. So.. These transactions are from the same gas station (not walmart/etc)

$70 inside sale (tobacco) was category groceries
$40 outside sale was gasoline(accurate)
$1.71 inside sale (bubble gum) was gasoline(...?)

Disclosures say that this is how the merchant codes for Amex, but wth? I can understand tobacco counting as groceries, but how is bubblegum gas? Has anyone else experienced this lol

The same location only codes as gas on both my Visa/MC regardless of in/out/etc

That is odd. Usually they are coded all one way (in store and even at the pump).

Just don't put that bubble gum in your tank, that won't work out well.

Message 32 of 41
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Definitely not gonna blow bubbles with the cars engine lol

On further review it seems that inside transactions above $15 code as groceries and inside below $15 codes as gas. Gonna try buying $20 in gas inside and see if that still codes as groceries. Was hoping to get 3x points off the tobacco lol
Message 33 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Nomad3 wrote:
Definitely not gonna blow bubbles with the cars engine lol

On further review it seems that inside transactions above $15 code as groceries and inside below $15 codes as gas. Gonna try buying $20 in gas inside and see if that still codes as groceries. Was hoping to get 3x points off the tobacco lol

I recently bought gift cards inside a convenience store which coded as gas. I took full advantage of the Earn More Mall 10% off gas up to $40 in rewards, 4 times now. I tested it first to see how it coded. Yep, you'll be able to maximize offers when they pop up by finding out early.

CarCare offers 6 mos. promo rates when you apply for the card, so it might not be a bad time to put the gum in the tank, right before Christmas lol.

Message 34 of 41
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

That is odd. Usually they are coded all one way (in store and even at the pump).

Often there is a special MCC for the pump. 5542, Automated Fuel Dispenser (and some cards, e.g. Penfed Plat, only reward gas bought with that MCC).   IME, usually inside won't code that way

Message 35 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Often there is a special MCC for the pump. 5542, Automated Fuel Dispenser (and some cards, e.g. Penfed Plat, only reward gas bought with that MCC).   IME, usually inside won't code that way

This one is so strange in that it might be coded by dollar value or product type in the store 

Message 36 of 41
JCreazy
Established Member

It's probably the next one I will apply for just because I want another metal card, I just got the Amazon Prime Visa one in the mail.  I think I will stay in the garden for awhile as I already have a lot of cards as it is.

Message 37 of 41
Anonymous
Not applicable

My original propel was metal, then when they switched to contactless, I request new card, twice, each came as plastic.

I know others got metal version contactless, so I am not sure why I did not. Either way, they all look the same so it doesn't bother me much.

Its also constructed differently from amex, chase, citi. Its encapsulated metal, which means thin plastic is all surrounding metal piece inside. Amex card has a metal piece in front and glued to a thin plastic-ish layer at the back, while chase has metal painted in front and back.

Message 38 of 41
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

This one is so strange in that it might be coded by dollar value or product type in the store 

It seems $15 is when the POS possibly sends/requests more information. On debit transactions no PIN is required until you hit $15 _OR_ request cash back. Maybe it sends more information on credit to reduce fraud? It's interesting in the posted transactions the ones below $15 show "INSIDE SALE" and when above $15 the same line says "800 ### ####" instead for their corporate contact I suppose.

Still waiting for my $20 gas inside purchase to post, if it codes as gas I'm going to try mixing other items + gas inside to see how that posts.

Again, it's strange because this only seems to happen with Amex branded. My Visa and MasterCard only post as gas regardless, can actually search the merchant on Visa's MCC site and it only has one MCC for gas.

Message 39 of 41
Nomad3
Frequent Contributor

Bumpdate:
Re: Propel Amex gas category/mcc dp

Did more testing at the same gas station.
Outside gas pump: codes as gas
Inside gas: codes as gas
Inside <$15 (no gas): codes as gas
Inside >$15 (no gas): codes as groceries
Inside >$15 (items w/ gas): codes as gas

This station doesn't sell gift cards (except their own) so I haven't tested that option.

So if I want to get 3x points for bulk tobacco purchase just have to add some gas to the same transaction.
Message 40 of 41
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.