Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo journey

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo journey

I started banking with WF in 2016, and got a secured card ($500 CL) in April 2017 to help build my credit. By November 2017 they had upgraded it to a Platinum card. To ring in the new year (2019) I asked them for a CLI and they upped me to $1000.
I’m wondering if I can get them to upgrade the card to something with benefits or if I have to just apply for a whole new card?
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo journey

Pcing to another card with WF will usually be another hp, closing of existing card, and opening new tradeline. Imo, WF pc is a joke in all but name. Nothing for free with Wells. My 2 centsSmiley Wink
Message 2 of 3
whocares
Valued Member

Re: Wells Fargo journey

Wells Fargo is heavily banking relationship oriented (like most full-service banks) meaning not only do they generally want a deposit account, but the average balance of many months weighs into their credit line decisioning.  I know this because I just asked for a CLI higher than my current $3k limit WF Platinum card.  I was denied despite having an ontime payment history on the card over years, zero balance on the card, overall utilization under 7%, income over $200k, scores over 700, and various cards with CL over $15k.  Their primary reason they denoted on the AA letter....my average balance in my check account is in-line with my credit limit. LOL.  Wells Fargo is was my secondary bank for 10 years where I leave a thousand or two in a checking account just in case.  Just confirms the crappiness they are.  Sock drawed the card and gave them the middle finger by moving my checking account to a different bank.  My primary bank (U.S. Bank) had no problem giving me an initial credit limit of $15k.  My advice....establish a relationship with a different bank or credit union.  Just my 2 cents and experience.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.