Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wells Fargo vs. USAA/NFCU

tag
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Wells Fargo vs. USAA/NFCU

How does Wells Fargo mount up to these Banks when it comes to all around banking. I have a chance to get in USAA and working on getting into NFCU. Is it worth dropping Wells Fargo. I plan to get checking, savings, car finance, mortage and credit cards through my bank.

Starting Score: 530 (EQ) 03-2012
Current Score: 678 (TU) myFico 04-2013, 649 (EQ myFico
Goal Score: 720+

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 1 of 25
24 REPLIES 24
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Re: Wells Fargo vs. USAA/NFCU

rightcoast how many times do we got to tell you?

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

Other Cards - Citibank AAdvantage, Chase Slate, Barclays Rewards,

IN THE GARDEN UNTIL APRIL 2014

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 2 of 25
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Look Im just creating topics. Im not here to offend anyone and if I do, I apologize. I am obviously trying to find the right banks that fight my needs and not make mistakes along the way. Isnt that what this forum is for?

Wallet: Wells Fargo Secured- 400 CL, Capital One Secured- 250 CL, Credit One Unsecured- 300 CL
Message 3 of 25
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

You dont have to comment if you don't want to. Someone down the road might have interest in this topic and find it useful. I am looking to help people out just as a few members have helped me on here.

Message 4 of 25
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Through your other post there was a concenus that any of the Organizations would be better than Wells Fargo. Almost any credit union is going to beat out a big bank for rebuilders.

NFCU Cash Rewards Siggy $22k, NFCU Flagship Rewards Siggy $22K, NFCU Platinum MC $20K, USAA Amex Rewards $6k, USAA World Mastercard Rewards $6k, NFCU Navcheck $15k

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 5 of 25
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Alright, maybe I just wanted to see peoples views on it. Different opinions. Come on now I dont bash you when you brag about your CL increases. Im interested in gaining knowledge on others opinions so I can help people and myself along the way.

Message 6 of 25
dodgeball
Established Contributor

Im not bragging rightcoast just showing what rebuilding your credit will do if you play the game right. I started out with USAA with only a orchard bank card like so many others. I got in with the Credit Unions and they help me rebuild my credit to the point where I got a card from Chase, Discover and Barclays. Getting through the door in the tough part, once you do that you will grow with them. But a credit union was essential for me to do it correctly. With you getting into NFCU a long shot I still recomend DCU as the best alternative for your rebuilding situation. I have no doubt if you go with them in six months you will have a unsecured visa with a 5k limit. Not so Much will Wells Fargo, USAA or Penfed.

Just for instance I will disclose some info about my credit profile and how it relates to USAA and Penfed. Both of these organizations pull equifax for credit cards. Just recently I apped for both cards and was denied both cards with a 697 credit score reasons for denial to many inquires which where only 3 in the past 12 months all from NFCU and one 60 day late that is over two years old on a car loan. So there tough nuts to crack. On the other hand I was just approved by DCU for a 8k visa with the same credit report with 8 inquires and the same info. Just waiting on verification of my ID to proceed with DCU.

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 7 of 25
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@dodgeball wrote:

Through your other post there was a concenus that any of the Organizations would be better than Wells Fargo. Almost any credit union is going to beat out a big bank for rebuilders.

I don't agree with that.   My local CU does not have secured CC and it is difficult to get a CC with them unless you have excellent credit.  There are thousands of CU's, so I don't think you can paint them with the same brush.

I have a Wells Fargo account, and they do have a secured card.  They are a full service bank and agressively market all of them.   I live in a different city than where I work.   WF has a branch within a few blocks of my home and my work.   There are no CU that have branches in both cities much less walking distance.

Message 8 of 25
dodgeball
Established Contributor

The fact of the matter is that there are very well known CU's on this board that are very rebuilder freindly, Im not talking about any CU. If you look through the boards you will find out that most of the rebuilder freiendly institutions are Credit Unions and that is a fact.

NFCU FAN CLUB MEMBER #1

Chase Star Card
NFCU FAN CLUB FAN#1
Message 9 of 25
rightcoast
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for sharing Dodge! I just want to let people know I am not trying "beat the system to get into these credit unions" as I read in a post earlier. Yes, I have been posting alot about these unions but I am simply looking for some advice on creating a better financial situation for my family. No,  I am not a service man but should I feel guilty about joining these through my Grandfather? I mean, If I were a service man I would love for my children and grandchildren to join my trust in my bank. Can you agree here?

Message 10 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.